The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

turtle

The Kipon adaptor has arrived. Seems very nicely made, mounts to the camera nicely and the lens, although fairly tight on, its about where I'd want a new adaptor to be. I am sure a bit of use will see it bed in a touch.

Initial test shots look line and I am surprised at the CV 35 1.2 II already. The edges are quite respectable. Lots of testing tomorrow when there is light.

dchew

Just bought an a7r. Since I don't have an adapter yet (just ordered the Metabones III), I borrowed one from the rental shop, a Metabones II, just so I could experiment with some of my EOS lenses. I've noticed when I turn the camera off with a lens attached the diaphragm stops all the way down and stays there. Even if I remove the lens the diaphragm is stopped down, stuck there. I assume this is just a fault of the one I have, or is this normal?

If I remove the lens with the camera still on, the diaphragm stays wide open.

Dave

turtle

Kipon lens adaptor seems to have been a great buy. Not cheap at £50, but its beautifully made, the release latch the perfect size/resistance and it seems perfectly symmetrical. All images are evenly balanced from corner to corner with lenses I know to perform faultlessly on the Leica.

Ron Pfister

Kipon lens adaptor seems to have been a great buy. Not cheap at £50, but its beautifully made, the release latch the perfect size/resistance and it seems perfectly symmetrical. All images are evenly balanced from corner to corner with lenses I know to perform faultlessly on the Leica.
I can second that. I've recently bought one of their T/S-adapters, and must say that it's a very nicely built piece of kit.

Regarding a lens adapter on the Sony A7r
The adapter for a rangefinder lens such as Voigtlander or Leica is probably smaller due to the shorter lens flange distance on these cameras.
Some have suggested a SLR design adapter for Zeiss, Nikon etc lenses. This may be in part to the color fringe problem with short flange distance lenses.
Do you feel the the longer larger SLR adapters make the lens too big for the camera?
Thanks,
Robert
Am I correct, one must use "stop down " metering when using these or any adapters?

Ben Rubinstein

Anyone know of a good M42 (screwmount) adaptor which is cheaper than the Novoflex? The ebay cheapy I have is throwing the right side out of focus even at f11 on all my screwmount lenses.

dchew

I received the Metabones III today. It operates the same way as the II I rented; When the camera goes to sleep or when I turn it off, the lens diaphragm stops down completely.

Does it with all my lenses. Is this normal or is something wrong with the camera?

Dave

dchew

Never mind. Went back to my dealer and found out all lenses do this on these cameras...

I'm obviously The New Guy to Sony.

Dave

I received the Metabones III today. It operates the same way as the II I rented; When the camera goes to sleep or when I turn it off, the lens diaphragm stops down completely.

Does it with all my lenses. Is this normal or is something wrong with the camera?

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just got a Metabones 2 from a member for my Leica R what a nice adapter and fits nice and tight.

Nice thing is each lens has its own adapter . Makes shooting much quicker and far less rear lens caps of different brands. I just bought extra E rear lens caps

Ron Pfister

Dave, I think the rationale for the closing aperture is to protect the sensor from being accidentally burnt by the sun, e.g. if the camera were facing towards the sun for extended periods of time without a lens cap on.

cellison

I bought an A7 with the FE 55 1.8 today figured I'd do more reading up on adapters while waiting for the battery to charge.

I have 3 Zeiss Nikon mount lenses (32 f2, 50MP, 100MP), that I'd like to use on the A7 as well as a couple of Leica mount lenses (Zeiss 35 f2, Summicron 50 Rigid). I've read so many post about metabones vs novoflex vs Voitlander etc that my head is spinning.

Is there a general consensus as to the best adapter for Nikon F and best adapter for Leica mount?

k-hawinkler

I bought an A7 with the FE 55 1.8 today figured I'd do more reading up on adapters while waiting for the battery to charge.

I have 3 Zeiss Nikon mount lenses (32 f2, 50MP, 100MP), that I'd like to use on the A7 as well as a couple of Leica mount lenses (Zeiss 35 f2, Summicron 50 Rigid). I've read so many post about metabones vs novoflex vs Voitlander etc that my head is spinning.

Is there a general consensus as to the best adapter for Nikon F and best adapter for Leica mount?

I don't think there is general consensus.
Having quite a few adapters myself, I prefer the Novoflex adapters with ASTAT-NEX.
Novoflex has also an F-E, F-M, and M-E adapter.

bensonga

If anyone is looking for one (as I was), Amazon and Adorama now have the Novoflex Leica R to Sony NEX adapters in stock. B&H Photo is still back-ordered.

Gary

mark1958

I am curious if anyone has tried one of these with Leica M lenses? I have only seen some data on Voigt or Zeiss M mount lenses
Did anyone try the new Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter? It is an adapter for e-mount that allows you to focus way closes with leica m lenses...which frankly it's the only thing that kept me from investing in leica glass over the years.
Turtle, did you order the regular leica-m adapter or the one with the close focus?

Last edited:

Luvwine

I recently got a Hawks version 3 M to E mount helicoid adapter. Cannot compare to Voigtlander's, but the Hawks has an adjustable hard stop for infinity, which is handy....

lamlux

I recently got a Hawks version 3 M to E mount helicoid adapter. Cannot compare to Voigtlander's, but the Hawks has an adjustable hard stop for infinity, which is handy....
Yeah I got mine and immediately adjusted it max the other way to correct infinity focus. :) Otherwise it's a very good adapter.