Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Rx1r2

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    variation on the theme

Canon infiltrator

stop this is killing me
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Countdown before Guy orders the Rx1rII: Five... four...three...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Countdown before Guy orders the Rx1rII: Five... four...three...
    Seriously if I had the money I would be before all of you. LOL

Anyone want a one on one workshop for a Rx1RII. LOL Its about all i can offer right now. Im not really joking here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Seriously if I had the money I would be before all of you. LOL

Anyone want a one on one workshop for a Rx1RII. LOL Its about all i can offer right now. Im not really joking here.

You think you can help me take a decent image for once..... huh Daddy-o?
    the HepKitty
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

stop this is killing me
    I live to serve...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    You think you can help me take a decent image for once..... huh Daddy-o?
    You bet ya Mama. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

You bet ya Mama. Lol

Thanks daddy-o, and payment will be the Rx1r II...

Help me improve these crappy snapshots from the Rx1:

the HepKitty
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    variation on the theme

It's amazing how close the RX-100 is to the RX1 in size! I am always amazed at what Sony has managed to do with the Rx1. Great comparison.

And my preorder is in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    The RX1 ... have 16:9. .... the aspect ratio results in both the screen and the EVF showing the cropped image only. The image preview in the Finder also shows the cropped image. In PS/ACR, the cropped image shows, but if you select the Crop Tool, the full image is there, with the 16:9 crop showing. It looks like a good implementation to me............
    Arjuna – Thank you for your helpful reply, if a similar implementation is in the Rx1r2 I'm a little disappointed [I would have preferred a 'baked' crop]. I might need to ask my question again when the camera is in users hands.

................ Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    It's amazing how close the RX-100 is to the RX1 in size! I am always amazed at what Sony has managed to do with the Rx1. Great comparison.

And my preorder is in!
    It really is quite small considering the IQ it can deliver.
    Likewise I have gravitated toward the Sigma Merrills and the Ricoh GR as they are also a lot of detail in a small box.

I'm posting gear for sale as we type to get maybe an old skool RX1r even.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in. Spent ages wondering whether to go for the Leica Q or the RX1R2 and finally jumped for the Sony, though what I would really like is the Sony sensor in the Leica body - better EVF and more useful 28mm lens, allowing significant virtual zooming via all those extra pixels. But the use case for the camera will be hiking where really light weight is needed, and as a travel companion to the RX100 IV.

Will report back when it arrives.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, I can very well understand your tribulations but I had no idea that the RX100 iV needed a companion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I'm in. Spent ages wondering whether to go for the Leica Q or the RX1R2 and finally jumped for the Sony, though what I would really like is the Sony sensor in the Leica body - better EVF and more useful 28mm lens, allowing significant virtual zooming via all those extra pixels. But the use case for the camera will be hiking where really light weight is needed, and as a travel companion to the RX100 IV.

Will report back when it arrives.
    They are a great combo - when I travel on business my RX1R and Rx-100 both come along. They complement each other very well.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you Rx1 folks do for remote triggers, since the accessory port is not included with the RX series?

I am used to using the release on my A7rII for stealth street photography. Using a stiff threaded cable release screwed into the shutter button makes it much harder and unwieldy.

I see the Rx1rII supports PlayMemories app, which means I should be able to use my iPhone to trigger the shutter. Hmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post

And my preorder is in!
    Lol, I'm actually more amazed by what Sony has managed to do with the Rx100 m4.

I'm struggling to justify adding the RX1RII to my kit... I'll probably spend the budget on 3 or more Rx100 series upgrades over the next 3 years

Good luck everyone, I'm sincerely happy and excited for you all - and looking forward to seeing the 'fun with RX1RII' thread take off on due course

Kind regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What do you Rx1 folks do for remote triggers, since the accessory port is not included with the RX series?

I am used to using the release on my A7rII for stealth street photography. Using a stiff threaded cable release screwed into the shutter button makes it much harder and unwieldy.

I see the Rx1rII supports PlayMemories app, which means I should be able to use my iPhone to trigger the shutter. Hmm...
    Good to know the A7RII has fitment for a cable release. I never realized that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Good to know the A7RII has fitment for a cable release. I never realized that.
    It does not. You have not deciphered his post, Lou.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It does not. You have not deciphered his post, Lou.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The RX1 doesn't have the "multi port", so there's no place for an electronic shutter release. It does have a threaded shutter button for the "old school" type shutter release. The problem is, these cables are not very flexible.

Another option (besides a wireless remote via iPhone) are the bulb type releases, which uses air pressure. The cables are much more flexible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Showing a few examples shot with my RX1r....one of my all time favorite cameras.....really. Can do just about anything I need to shoot.....tripod mounted, street shooting, can keep in a large pocket. I've ordered the RX1rII....this camera upgrade, in my opinion, is worth selling equipment for. Examples RX1r.....First three, in Colorado...last three in Russia. Lens very sharp wide open.....Will be nice to have a built in EVF too on the II version.....Eleanor

[URL="http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=29688"]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The RX1 doesn't have the "multi port", so there's no place for an electronic shutter release. It does have a threaded shutter button for the "old school" type shutter release. The problem is, these cables are not very flexible.

Another option (besides a wireless remote via iPhone) are the bulb type releases, which uses air pressure. The cables are much more flexible.
    How about just squeezing the shutter button with a finger?

No one really cares when you carry a camera out on the streets (I am serious. This applies only when a Sony cam is involved. Some iconic cams do attract attention.) It is almost always the shooter who is uncomfortable and wants to be "stealthy".

Post Thanks / Like

How about just squeezing the shutter button with a finger?

No one really cares when you carry a camera out on the streets (I am serious. This applies only when a Sony cam is involved. Some iconic cams do attract attention.) It is almost always the shooter who is uncomfortable and wants to be "stealthy".
    I'm not in the least bit intimidated. Nevertheless, I disagree that "no one really cares". They do, and when they do, they react. Very rarely, if ever, is this reaction "negative". My issue - it then stops becoming street photography and instead turns into portraiture. If that is what you seek, that's fine. It's not what I want to do. Even Cartier Besson rarely raised his camera to eye level.

This issue rages on whenever the subject of street photography techniques come up. My post was in regard to remote releases for the thread subject.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ There's an app called "touchless shutter" for the a7r2 that will probably work on the rx1r2 - you just wave your hand past the evf sensor. Haven't had a use for it yet but it works great. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jim251 View Post
    ^^^ There's an app called "touchless shutter" for the a7r2 that will probably work on the rx1r2 - you just wave your hand past the evf sensor. Haven't had a use for it yet but it works great. Hope this helps.
    Won't people wave back at you? just, kidding - must try that app on my rx100.

Thanks

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim251 View Post
    There's an app called "touchless shutter" for the a7r2 that will probably work on the rx1r2 - you just wave your hand past the evf sensor. Haven't had a use for it yet but it works great.
    It's also available on the a6000. It's way too sensitive and not much use for walking on the streets. The only use I can think for it is if the camera is placed on a café table and you don't want anyone to know you're taking pictures with it. Tripod work would be the best way to make use of it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Won't people wave back at you? just, kidding - must try that app on my rx100.

Thanks

Brian
    Yes they do.

(The app isn't for real life use as is the case with most of the playstation apps.)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they do.

(The app isn't for real life use as is the case with most of the playstation apps.)
    "Wave" was probably a poor word choice but you get the idea...

I agree on useless for street but IMO it's a useful alternative to the 2-sec delay that I almost always use when on a tripod...

Wait... Upon further thought, if you're really into the stealth thing you could even have your right hand in your pocket and just bringing the camera in to your chest would trigger the evf switch and *snap*, 40 more MB for your hard drive! Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have ALWAYS been uncomfortable with street shooting but I think it's fun in the right places....in Russia I mostly shot from the hip so to speak...not always but mostly. Also I had my Rx1r without the viewfinder and took off my RRS grip and tripod base attachment so it was tiny and less conspicuous. I have shot at farmers markets in Colorado and was asked to stop as they were afraid I was gong to sell my photos so others could " copy" their designs...clothing, etc etc. Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

When someone with the ricoh gw-3 and the new rx1rii runs a test of the combo, I would love to see the results at f8,f11.

Thanx.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got a Rx1r and I have a GW-3 at work so I can shoot you something in a couple of days when Im back. You looking to see what corners etc are like? (so I can shoot something specific)

Quote Originally Posted by karlfoto View Post
    When someone with the ricoh gw-3 and the new rx1rii runs a test of the combo, I would love to see the results at f8,f11.

Thanx.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Photomadnz

Thanx for your help. I already have some images that were shot with that combo. What I am looking to see is how the GW-3 handles the bigger sensor, and yes the comers would be where it might fall down.

Karl

Post Thanks / Like

Im confused. I said I had a RX1 and access to a GW3 and you say you already have images from that combo?

Quote Originally Posted by karlfoto View Post
    Hi Photomadnz

Thanx for your help. I already have some images that were shot with that combo. What I am looking to see is how the GW-3 handles the bigger sensor, and yes the comers would be where it might fall down.

Karl

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, the RX1rII does support the wired, electronic remote that works for the A7 series. That makes things a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you with grip questions, may I suggest that the new rear LCD could explain the extra body depth, like the RX100 series? The RX1 grips and plates may fit the new camera just fine. Hanging on to my RRS grip until the RX1Rii arrives. The same goes for my RX1r as I had sellers remorse after my M9 left. At least it went to a far more gifted photographer!

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody seen the online user manual for this model yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bipbip View Post
    Has anybody seen the online user manual for this model yet?
    I don't think so, probably because it hasn't been 100% completed yet.

The Sony.net site does have an extensive specifications page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot the Leica Q this weekend while covering FFF Fest in Austin, TX.

I posted some thoughts on the Q compared to the RX1RII over in the Leica section in case anyone would like a quick read on the comparison...

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica/56...tml#post668381

Post Thanks / Like

I rented an Rx1r from Lensrentals, to see if this may be the camera for me. I obtained some great images, just focusing on photographing my wife and daughter. The image quality was amazing, and the camera is so intuitive. So I have sold my A7r and 35mm lens, and placed my order. I can't wait to see what the new camera can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news! Adobe's recent update (version 6.3) now supports the RX1rII.

For some downloads from the new camera, including RAW files, includes a folder with uncompressed RAW:

ftp://rawdata.slrclub.com/compact/sony/1511_RX1RII/

You may need to log on as "guest". The files are slow to download. But they work, and indeed I can seen them in LR 6.3.

A quick review of these images. Wow. They have lost nothing of the "punch" from the first generation. Further review required for any improvements to IQ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good news! Adobe's recent update (version 6.3) now supports the RX1rII.

For some downloads from the new camera, including RAW files, includes a folder with uncompressed RAW:

ftp://rawdata.slrclub.com/compact/sony/1511_RX1RII/

You may need to log on as "guest". The files are slow to download. But they work, and indeed I can seen them in LR 6.3.

A quick review of these images. Wow. They have lost nothing of the "punch" from the first generation. Further review required for any improvements to IQ.
    bah. download doesn't work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    bah. download doesn't work for me.
    This is a site for a camera club in Korea. They originally posted their review with sample images a couple of days ago. Very soon after they removed the link to the sample images, but the files were still there for anyone who knew the link. Now, apparently, the files have been removed from the server.

I suspect Sony has a firm NDA with reviewers who receive the camera in advance of launch date.

Post Thanks / Like

..and when is the launch date?

To answer my own question; B&H says, shipping Wed 11/25.
    Last edited by stephen.s1; 18th November 2015 at 06:03.
    Stephen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is interesting! The local shop that claimed an earlier date (that passed last week) said 25th Nov as well.

That appears to be the release date set by Sony?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The wait for this camera is particularly painful. I've sold my RX1, have had some time with the Leica Q and now sit here lusting after the RX1RII. Not a superficial lust, but a deep burning desire to shoot the sh#t out of this new camera.

I have a trip to Iceland planned for mid December and plan to use the RX1RII as my primary tool. Both the trip and camera cannot come soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.s1 View Post
    ..and when is the launch date?

To answer my own question; B&H says, shipping Wed 11/25.
    Geez a Turkey leg in one hand and a RX2 (what I call it) in the other hand will not be meeting at the Thanksgiving table.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DPR have got their hands on a production model and performed their usual resolution test. The results are looking terrible...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    DPR have got their hands on a production model and performed their usual resolution test. The results are looking terrible...
    From the tester (check out the other posts from him as well) at DPR-

By Barney Britton

We're shooting a flat field, here, from relatively close range. With cameras of this type we always expect edge performance to appear poorer than center. The Leica Q does well but bear in mind that you're seeing its files after automatic corrections are applied by the camera.

Sample images of normal subjects, at normal focus distances are sharp edge-to-edge. We'll post a sample gallery as soon as we can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where can I put in an advance order for an RX1R3?

Completely redesigned lens to match the sensor, hypersonic focusing motors, built in ND filter

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

From the tester (check out the other posts from him as well) at DPR-
    Yeah, it scared me at first until I read further. It was especially alarming to see the RX1r seem to do much better in the corners. But that went away when changing to comparable resolution.

Does this tell us anything we didn't already know about these types of cameras?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does this tell us anything we didn't already know about these types of cameras?
    Not really.

I do wish that there was a 24mp RX1R II with a better sensor -ie., with much better high ISO performance.

In my case it is the tilt LCD and (to a less extent the EVF) the flash hotshoe that makes me want the RX1R II despite the 42mp sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not really.

I do wish that there was a 24mp RX1R II with a better sensor -ie., with much better high ISO performance.

In my case it is the tilt LCD and (to a less extent the EVF) the flash hotshoe that makes me want the RX1R II despite the 42mp sensor.
    Snap!

Cheers

Brian