The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

biglouis

I feel guilty myself, as I also was kind of disappointed that it did not have some of the things I would have implemented in that camera. But I think overall it was obviously the best that Olympus engineers could do and the final package is great. So I am no longer disappointed and meanwhile see this as a potential excellent addition to my m43 arsenal.
Likewise. I guess there must be genuine reasons why a BSI sensor is not being used at present so like Peter I think this has probably got to be the zenith of what can be achieved.

I also initially ignored the importance of the ergonomics of the camera. I've always felt the Panasonic ergos are the best but I can see how Olympus put a lot of thought into the controls on this camera and I think too often I and others have discounted how important that can be to capturing time critical photographs, e.g. birds in flight.

As far as lenses go, I cannot fault Olympus. I reluctantly parted with my Oly 7-14 PRO this year to purchase a UWA lens for my Fuji system and I wouldn't mind a reason to get one again for a camera like the E-M1X.

I'm not in a hurry but as the reviews come in, especially birding reviews, I'll be following with interest.

Another thing that is worth remembering is that the Oly system is now fairly mature so there are some second user lens bargains out there, even the 300/4 which I've seen which I would consider if I went with the Oly body.

Just my two cents

LouisB

bensonga

I have always liked the solid one piece DSLR “Pro” bodies and I’m glad to see Olympus has brought that design to M43rds now.

bensonga

I already have tickets to see the return of Indy car racing to Laguna Seca in Monterey this September.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/07/07-17-Laguna-Seca-added-to-2019-schedule

I was planning to take my G9 (with grip), the 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, 100-300 II and PL 50-200 lenses. Maybe I will rent a E-M1X also and bring my Oly 40-150/2.8 Pro lens to see how well the AI Motorsports tracking AF works for me. :D

Update: Just put my name on the pre-order list at my local camera shop (Stewarts Photo). I am first on the list. By the way, I disagree with the statements that only professional photographers will buy a camera like the E-M1X for $3k. There are many non-professional photographers who will spend this much for a DSLR and much more than this for a Leica digital M. Of course, I would have preferred that the E-M1X was priced several hundred dollars lower.

Gary

Last edited:

raist3d

I really think this camera at best, is not the best priority for a shrinking marketshare for a system (m43rds) to stay competitive in the market.

Honestly, I think this camera will flop hard. (there, I said it :) ).

This so reeks of 4/3rds.

Rather than pursue a very vertical niche, they needed to do top tech in an EM5 MKIII / PenF style body. And kill already that outdated 16MP at the low end, put the new sensor.

Panasonic already gave themselves an out- they will keep m43rds as a hobby and if it doesn't turn to be profitable, they will switch to the L-mount whole sale. They already admited they will give m43rds less resources/priority as they build the L-mount.

Olympus really needs to play their cards right. If this is for Pros, a lot of Pros want that better ISO performance in sports to freeze movement and most already have Canikon (with Sony a 3rd).

I think these links state the issue well, hoping the smaller cameras come out asap.

https://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/olympus-introduces-pro-e.html

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

If not, we will see another 4/3rds outcome.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I really think this camera at best, is not the best priority for a shrinking marketshare for a system (m43rds) to stay competitive in the market.

Honestly, I think this camera will flop hard. (there, I said it :) ).

This so reeks of 4/3rds.

Rather than pursue a very vertical niche, they needed to do top tech in an EM5 MKIII / PenF style body. And kill already that outdated 16MP at the low end, put the new sensor.

Panasonic already gave themselves an out- they will keep m43rds as a hobby and if it doesn't turn to be profitable, they will switch to the L-mount whole sale. They already admited they will give m43rds less resources/priority as they build the L-mount.

Olympus really needs to play their cards right. If this is for Pros, a lot of Pros want that better ISO performance in sports to freeze movement and most already have Canikon (with Sony a 3rd).

I think these links state the issue well, hoping the smaller cameras come out asap.

https://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/olympus-introduces-pro-e.html

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

If not, we will see another 4/3rds outcome.

- Ricardo
I think you are wrong. It's a niche camera, but for the work I have been doing as a pro, and some of what I'm still doing, this is perfect. The challenge will be to get pros to actually try it out.

Much of this technology will eventually trickle down to the E-M5 and Pen, but those cameras are useless with large lenses and for holding long working days. In any case, they cannot offer the cooling etc. that the E-M1X can offer.

bensonga

There are many of us, pros or not, who are not interested in lugging around large lenses for telephoto and super-tele shooting anymore, regardless of whether it is for sports or wildlife photography, using DSLR or FF mirrorless cameras.

For me, m43 systems, cameras and lenses, are an excellent combination of quality and size/weight. Like the G9, the E-M1X fits at the top of the m43 line for certain purposes, but takes m43 cameras to an even higher level, in my opinion. The E-M1X will certainly not replace my GX8 for travel.

I haven’t seen the Olympus video introducing the E-M1X posted here yet...

https://youtu.be/llUQX5j2lOg

Gary

Shashin

I am not sure there is "pro" argument against this camera. Most images today published by professionals are mostly web or the print market, glossy mags and newspapers. At those sizes/resolution, one one can tell the difference in format or noise between sensors. This is going to be a very good tool for professionals, particularly in sports and wildlife. Besides, in sports, most stadia are very well illuminated--it is not like shooting in bars...

raist3d

I think you are wrong. It's a niche camera, but for the work I have been doing as a pro, and some of what I'm still doing, this is perfect. The challenge will be to get pros to actually try it out.

Much of this technology will eventually trickle down to the E-M5 and Pen, but those cameras are useless with large lenses and for holding long working days. In any case, they cannot offer the cooling etc. that the E-M1X can offer.
I would love to hear where you think Thom and Mike went wrong in their blog posts and why. I don't see how this expands the m43rds market. And if we look at 4/3rds history, that's exactly what killed it- going big body, big lenses to compete with Canikon back then on their terms.

Olympus has been historically at its best with smaller than the competition cameras.

But of course, just my respectful opinion. We will know within a year.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I am not sure there is "pro" argument against this camera. Most images today published by professionals are mostly web or the print market, glossy mags and newspapers. At those sizes/resolution, one one can tell the difference in format or noise between sensors. This is going to be a very good tool for professionals, particularly in sports and wildlife. Besides, in sports, most stadia are very well illuminated--it is not like shooting in bars...
You still need high iso to freeze movement. Some of the key telephoto lenses being talked bout aren't F2.0 after all.
Also remember basically Olympus is coming to a market of APSC or Full Frame cameras that are well entrenched in these markets. And professionals expect company support too.

Anyhow, we wil see in the months to come. I just hope they update the low and mid tiers well in the smaller sizes.

- Ricardo

Shashin

You still need high iso to freeze movement. Some of the key telephoto lenses being talked bout aren't F2.0 after all.
Sports photographers have been freezing motion for decades, even when film speed topped out at ISO 400 or so. None of their lenses where any faster than today's offerings. Given the state of camera and sensor technology, I cannot think why this camera will not perform very well for sport photographers, whose work is going to end up either on the web or in print.

bensonga

Olympus has been historically at its best with smaller than the competition cameras.
Just because Olympus now offers a larger body like the E-M1X doesn't preclude them from continuing to make excellent smaller m43 bodies too. To the extent m43 continues as a viable system, I expect most of the unit sales will be in those smaller and less expensive cameras. Just as most of the Canon and Nikon cameras sold are not of the 1Dx/D5 type.

Whether the E-M1X will be a market success for Olympus, only time will tell. I don't think any of us can predict with certainty today the outcome even 1-2 years from now.

Gary

Last edited:

raist3d

Just because Olympus now offers a larger body like the E-M1X doesn't preclude them from continuing to make excellent smaller m43 bodies too.
True. The question I have to ask is with Panasonic giving m43rd less priority, Olympus marketshare shrinking a bit, is it the best priority to build an ultra niche camera? I still think that anything that takes away from the key differentiator of micro four thirds isn't a good idea, but that aside, priority wise, doesn't strike me as the best use of time and resources given the competitive market.

To the extent m43 continues as a viable system, I expect most of the unit sales will be in those smaller and less expensive cameras. Just as most of the Canon and Nikon cameras sold are not of the 1Dx/D5 type.

Whether the E-M1X will be a market success for Olympus, only time will tell. I don't think any of us can predict with certainty today the outcome even 1-2 years from now.

Gary
Well, I do use as part of my predicting "abilities" if you will to simply look at the hindsight of data that the 4/3rds system history can provide. Why did that system die? What were the signs? How many assurances we had that the system would carry on? What happened with E-3 and E-5? etc.

I think that offers a lot of pointers.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Sports photographers have been freezing motion for decades, even when film speed topped out at ISO 400 or so. None of their lenses where any faster than today's offerings. Given the state of camera and sensor technology, I cannot think why this camera will not perform very well for sport photographers, whose work is going to end up either on the web or in print.
AFAIK film was being pushed a few stops up. And back then, we didn't have as options what the already eastablished- not even trying to be established but entrenched- FF cameras provide.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's important to remember that those shooting with lenses like 600mm f/4 represent a tiny minority of sports photographers. That lens plus a D5 is almost $19,000 and the combo weighs well over 5 kg. Most shoot with different varieties of 80-400 or 150-600 mm lenses on APS-C bodies. Those zoom lenses are minimum f/5.6 at the long end, and the Sigma is f/6.3. All of those zoom lenses (not counting the Nikkor 180-400mm f/4 and the Canon equivalent, which are also north of $12,000) expand when zooming with all the inherent challenges this represents.

When the Zuiko 150-400 mm f/4.5 arrives, it will be a very competitive alternative, at a higher price, but probably with better optical quality, internal zooming and focusing, excellent weather sealing and probably smaller size as well as lighter weight.

At the long end, it will be the equivalent of 800mm f/9. No other lens offers the same combination of features, and although the D500 with Nikkor 200-500 mm f/5.6 will take you there too, we are talking a dramatic difference in built quality and functionality (I've owned both that Nikkor and the Zuiko 40-150 mm f/2.8 that probably has similar build quality to the new lens). Hopefully, the Zuiko is smaller too. That Nikkor is a beast.

The real competition to the E-M1X is clearly the D500, and there are many good arguments for both. What the D500 lacks is a telephoto zoom lens of top quality that doesn't cost a million. When it comes to primes, it's a different story, with Nikon offering the 300 and 500 mm PF, roughly matching the PL 200/2.8 and Zuiko 300/4.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I do use as part of my predicting "abilities" if you will to simply look at the hindsight of data that the 4/3rds system history can provide. Why did that system die? What were the signs? How many assurances we had that the system would carry on? What happened with E-3 and E-5? etc.
The 43 system died mainly because their proponents (Olympus and Panasonic) went mirrorless - aka m43 - and that was absolutely the right decision as we can see today. All the big ones meanwhile moved to mirrorless.

The EM1X is a nice camera and Olympus knows that. They are not really aiming for high or highest sales numbers. But what they needed - and have it now with the EM1X - is the right PRO tool that in combination with their PRO lenses can offer PROs what other vendors with ancient technology cannot offer. And on top of that a lot of the EM1 tech will tickle down into their smaller and lower end cameras - EM5x and PENFx.

raist3d

The 43 system died mainly because their proponents (Olympus and Panasonic) went mirrorless - aka m43 - and that was absolutely the right decision as we can see today. All the big ones meanwhile moved to mirrorless.
That was a consequence not the reason. The reason they moved on and accelerated that move is because 4/3rds was simply not profitable. That's also another consequence. One has to go back a bit and see what happened.

The EM1X is a nice camera and Olympus knows that. They are not really aiming for high or highest sales numbers. But what they needed - and have it now with the EM1X - is the right PRO tool that in combination with their PRO lenses can offer PROs what other vendors with ancient technology cannot offer. And on top of that a lot of the EM1 tech will tickle down into their smaller and lower end cameras - EM5x and PENFx.
We'll see in a few months. I think this caters to the m43rds pro at best. Outside of that? Not so sure.

Anyhow, bowing out of this, I don't want to come across as someone repeating myself much. Posted some GM5 shots in the GM5 thread.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That was a consequence not the reason. The reason they moved on and accelerated that move is because 4/3rds was simply not profitable. That's also another consequence. One has to go back a bit and see what happened.
Well sure, they needed to do something else with mirrorless because that really brought one of the great advantages of smaller sensor in combination with mirrorless - m43. And that killed 43.

Now saying that a big high end pro m43 camera is killing m43 - I do not agree. IMO it is rather a need for m43 to have such a camera available to showcase what is possible. And many interested in that format for whatever reason (mainly size, portability, lightweight) will choose a different model and just be happy.

One also could argue that nobody needs a 1DX2 or D5 as these pro features are not required by anybody. But as the real world shows since many years they are needed. Now that finally m43 has something equivalent - I should rather call it superior - to offer is finally a great thing. Maybe not many existing pros will jump on it and switch system, but many new pros will just choose that system and that is great.

And finally - Olympus is aware of the fact that they will not sell this camera in huge numbers - I think they would be rather surprised and overwhelmed if that really happened. But they have set that milestone now and can rely on it and move on with smaller and more capable m43 bodies as next steps. And yes I agree that 20MP variants of their EM5 and EM10 are overdue! As is a EM1.3 with some 30MP :ROTFL:

biglouis

We'll see in a few months. I think this caters to the m43rds pro at best. Outside of that? Not so sure.
I'm not a pro wildlife shooter but I am a dedicated enthusiast and willing to spend money on the best system I can afford for my hobby. There are a lot of people like me, you only have to look through Flickr to see many dedicated enthusiasts investing in high end cameras and lenses to enjoy their pastime to the fullest level possible. Obviously, pro-endorsement, like any consumer product, encourages sales so I don't think you can equate pro-endorsement with this camera only being aimed at pro users. I would imagine 99% of sales will go to prosumers and 1% to a few dedicated pros who find the Olympus ergonomics and features fit their particular niche.

LouisB