The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

dave.gt

September surprises are always welcomed and quite frequent. Nothing in the garden beats watching blooms unfurl and present a different face every hour.

They really do move relatively quickly, opening, and changing almost imperceptibly but steadily.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
September 2021 Pink QE Open by Leica S.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hey S shooters,

What do you use as a quick release plate for tripod mounting? The RRS L-plate has a pin that prevents twisting, and so is super secure. Do any of you use just a base plate? And if so, what is secure enough?

Thanks,

Matt

dave.gt

Hey S shooters,

What do you use as a quick release plate for tripod mounting? The RRS L-plate has a pin that prevents twisting, and so is super secure. Do any of you use just a base plate? And if so, what is secure enough?

Thanks,

Matt
Crazy days lately and I keep forgetting to answer this question. Apologies.

Theshort answer is yes, now I always use the RRS base plate, never an L bracket. I had an RRS L bracket with the D850 but I didn’t notice anything like an advantage except for changing from horizontal to vertical framing. It did give me a sense of solid feel and confidence, though.

On the S and H5, I almost always frame horizontally… using a square format, of course, solves the vertical issue.

but then, I haven’t been around people, or tall subjects like buildings much in the last 18 months either.:( If things get back to normal, I would like to do portraits and shoot with different framing again.

For now, I shoot the H5 like I did the 503, with a square mask, WLF sometimes, VF, and not always on a tripod…

Shooting with the S, I shoot a lot without the tripod but if it is a long exposure, tricky setup, pano, or such, I love the tripod.

I have not found the absence of an L bracket to be a problem, as I can frame vertically using the drop slots in the tripod ball head. Not ideal, but it works!

That said, I would love to be using an L bracket for both, but I am a casual shooter, and some things just have to wait.:)

dave.gt

Matt, I hope the photos I sent you were helpful.

Now you have me thinking about an RRS plate. They look so cool and, tbh, portraits are much easier. LOL. But then I compose for square almost exclusively when doing most things. Hmmm..

I think it is time for a change up. A fresh look if only for a little while!:)

dave.gt

November and December are, for me, the “silly”season for shooting. We don’t have a cat. Or a dog.

We do decorate for each season, mostly with home decor that we have collected/made over the years. Other things just look nice, so a purchase here and there makes us happy.

Images of tree decorations and other items will follow as surely as the frost covers everything before Thanksgiving.

We don’t get snow here. But we do have a nice warm hearth most mornings and evenings with a small wood fire. A little consumerism always creeps in… so we can dream of snow in an idyllic setting. Sigh…

A banal Christmas Globe
(handheld as usual)
Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
8B1A02F3-768F-4FED-9896-A7049384BCF8.jpeg

dave.gt

This is a lovely rendering.:)

it also brings back memories of my son many years ago and most recently showing our grandsons how to play tennis. Great memories!

it is really cool to see such beautiful photographs of people, events, places and things and realize we are all in this world together.

Like the old “Kodak Moment”, there is a story behind each photo. It helps when the photo is really well done, like this! :)

Last edited:

ropo54

Thanks, Dave (GT). That's what I love about photography: it freezes a moment in time. Now, if I could only figure out how to stop the clock for a while. My grandkids are growing up so quickly. Happy Holidays to you and yours. Best, Rob