The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

baudolino

A stormy day on Neusiedlersee yesterday, with strong winds and only a few minutes of sunshine. Followed by heavy rain and sleet...still going on. I took advantage of the brief moment of sunshine around noon and drove about ten minutes to this spot. Waited in freezing wind for the sun to show up through the clouds, with the camera ready on the tripod. Arca Swiss F-Field Metric, Super Symmar 110XL with a center filter, f22 @1/8s. A bit of back swing to keep both the house and the reeds in the foreground sharp. T-Max 100 processed in Rodinal 1+50 for a rather grey but sharp negative, full of dust. Flextight X1 scan. After considerable time spotting the dust in Photoshop (and kicking myself for not shooting this on the Monochrom instead), I copied the background and blended the new layer using the overlay mode. Finally, applied some curves to tame the sky. Final note: the lake is very shallow and all water disappeared from this part during the last two Summers, as a result of climate change and local farmers draining a lot of underground water through artesian wells, for crop irrigation. It is only now, after some heavy rains, that there is water in this view again, instead of mud. That much for why I went to take this picture.

Illmitz_22_12_2023 001.jpg

Last edited:

P. Chong

Another shot of the Singapore CBD. Sinar X with Nikkor SW 90mm/f4.5. About 10mm rear fall and 2degree front tilt to get the top of the skyscrapers in focus. Shanghai GP3 developed with Ilfotec HC 1+31 dilution for 6 minutes at 20C. Scanned with Fujifilm GFX 50S II with Hasselblad HC4/120.

cbd.jpeg

Last edited:

P. Chong

Here is another I took not long after the one above on the Singapore CBD...I forgot the bag bellows that day...so the max I could do the front rise on the Sinar standard bellows was 10mm and had to cut off the top of the building. The building is ParkRoyal at Pickering, which designed to be the "ultimate green city". Sinar X with Nikkor SW 90mm f4.5. Shanghai GP3 developed with Ilfotec HC at 1+31 dilution for 6 mins at 20C. Scanned with GFX 50S II/Hasselblad HC 4/120.

pickering.jpg

cunim

Another from the Lockheed Electra series. Rodenstock 240S. I keep coming back to these scans and wanting to do LF again. 8 x 10 is such a hassle for an old guy. I wonder if 4 x 5 would be enough. Never done it because the difference between MFD and 8 x 10 is so huge that I always felt it justified the effort. Not sure I have the same feeling about smaller film formats.

flash3purereflectedtiny-2.jpg

Nokton48

Makiflex 150 Xenar F11 Octobox 50 Ortho Commercial 9x12cm by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel Auto Makiflex with SK Grimes Graphic Back 150 f4.5 Auto Maki Xenar Yellow Filter Ilford Commercial Ortho 9x12cm Arca Swiss 9x12cm Graphic Back. Broncolor Octobox 150 1500J C200 Monolight One Pop F11. D23 Straight Replenished in 9x12cm Combiplan Tank. DipN'Dunk works great! Love it. New Background Low Key by Artist David Maheu. 4x6 Foamcore Fill off camera right. A successful first test of the Combiplan, I utilized red LED safelight Inspection 25 minutes Straight Replenished D23. Omega DII Laser Aligned 180mm Rodagon Omegalite Dektol 1:2. Copied with Sony Nex 7 on Minolta SRT Copy Stand, Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M at F8

cunim

Electra project. The sort of day there is little inviting in the sky. Can you see a mechanic took off his greasy shoes and left them at the bottom of the boarding ladder?
The light looks a bit strange, but I think it was flooding out from the open hangar door, illuminating the aircraft from the upper rear.

graysky.jpg

UliM.

Several hundred years old chestnut tree - captured with an (adequate) old Deardorff 8x10, build in the 60th, Schneider Kreuznach Apo Symmar 5,6/300, a little front swing amd rear swing, some mm front fall, at F32 1/2 second on Ilford FP4plus with box speed 125 Iso, developed in Pyrocat HD 2+2+100 for 9' at 21 degrees Celsius in an Jobo Drum with the Jobo CPA2...

2020-05-03-Kastanie VI FP4-6.jpg

Last edited:

Nokton48

4x5 Fuji HRU Mic-X 5 minutes by Nokton48, on Flickr

Fuji 8x10 HR-U X-Ray cut down to 4x5, Graphmatic Holder, 4x5 Sinar Norma 180mm f5.6 chrome Durst Componon lens, full key sun. This was exposure #6, two stops over ambient reading of grey card EI 50 TTL Sinarsix 1/15 @ Fll. Short development is stock Legacy Mic-X 5 minutes 68F. Cesco flat bottomed 8x10 tray, sheets developed singly. I did a sort of ring-around, varying exposure and development times. This is the lowest contrast version which I like. 8x10 Arista RC #2 Multigrade dev Omega DII with Omegalite circuline head Cool thing is this works out to about 7 cents per 4x5 sheet.

drunkenspyder

My first foray into LF. After thinking about it since the 90s, I finally bought a Chamonix 45F-2 last month and a handful of lenses and the needed accessories. Took it all into Yosemite this month. Felt both silly and exhilarating. This place and largeformatphotography.info have been invaluable sources of information and guidance. So much to learn. My first shot from an overlook into the valley on a segment of Cascade Creek beneath the 120 overpass. Thank goodness for trail spikes.
6552104-FrameShop_Blog Post Image for Web_BlogPost_YosemiteLucidum.jpg
HP5+ | Chamonix 45F-2 | Rodenstock 135

Last edited:

John Leathwick

This is one from 50 years back when I worked in New Zealand's central North Island podocarp forests, researching the impacts of logging on vulnerable native bird species. These dense forests of trees 500-800 years old grew on volcanic surfaces erupted 1800 years ago from Lake Taupo, and the then NZ Forest Service had been clear felling them to make way for plantations of exotic Pinus radiata. An extended campaign by anti-logging activists eventually brought the clear felling to an end. This is one of a few easily accessible stands of dense podocarp forest that survives, which I photographed as a two-image panorama on Kodak Vericolor II type L film with an ApoRonar 250 F/9. I created digital copies using a GFX and a Zuiko bellows macro 135mm lens, which I then processed in Lightroom, balancing their processing and stitching them before applying finishing touches in PS.

Waipapa mire west.jpg-John