The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2023...what can we expect from Nikon?

Swissblad

My wish list, rather than expectations:
1. Nikon D500 mirrorless version.
2. Nikkor 200-600 with built in TC.

Expectations:
1. I think we'll see the much rumoured Z8, to counter the new Sony A7R5 (60mp/8K etc).
2. Nikkor 85mm f1.2
3. Nikkor 135mm f1.8
4. Nikkor 14mm f1.8

Let's hear your thought!

Darin Marcus

As stated in their most recent financial documents (FY2023 H1), Nikon is focusing on increasing their profit, not their market share. Therefore, I am expecting more high-end cameras and lenses from them - although they are also planning to target the younger photographer/vlogger crowds, which can lead to a few outliers - cheaper cameras like the Z30 released in 2022. As the president of Nikon said in a recent interview (see Thom Hogan's comments: https://bythom.com/newsviews/self-fulfilling-prophecy.html), they are also focusing on B2B production of parts and components. This means, IMO, that fewer and more expensive consumer photographic equipment will be released by Nikon in the future.

For 2023 I think that they will update the Z6 and Z7 lines with more significant changes (new sensors and capabilities, improved/larger bodies, increased prices).
At least a new DX body will also be announced, but I am not sure if it will be a D500 equivalent or just an improved Z50.
I am not sure about anything else, including a Z8.

For lenses, they added a few new ones to the November 2022 roadmap - releasing them as well as the remaining ones from the previous roadmaps should keep them busy for the entire 2023. There will most likely be some "surprises" like they were in the past 2 years.

Based on the interview mentioned above, I also believe that they will be more active in the "software" area, both with new/improved in-camera capabilities, as well as with shooting/post-processing solutions (such as remote camera operation). They will add more video capabilities to at least some of the new cameras.

In terms of personal expectations, as I mentioned before, my camera bags are full, and I will not buy new equipment unless it replaces something I have. In fact, I might even start to let go of some of my less used equipment in 2023...

In terms of lenses on the roadmap, there is nothing that I need / want right now. I am still curious about that 26mm (non-S) lens that could be a true pancake...
In terms of cameras, if the Z6 III has a 30-36MP sensor and improved ergonomics, I might buy it to replace both my Z6 and D810, in which case I will let go of all my F-mount lenses except for the Voigtlander ones that I use with the Df. The Df will stay :)

jduncan

As stated in their most recent financial documents (FY2023 H1), Nikon is focusing on increasing their profit, not their market share. Therefore, I am expecting more high-end cameras and lenses from them - although they are also planning to target the younger photographer/vlogger crowds, which can lead to a few outliers - cheaper cameras like the Z30 released in 2022. As the president of Nikon said in a recent interview (see Thom Hogan's comments: https://bythom.com/newsviews/self-fulfilling-prophecy.html), they are also focusing on B2B production of parts and components. This means, IMO, that fewer and more expensive consumer photographic equipment will be released by Nikon in the future.

For 2023 I think that they will update the Z6 and Z7 lines with more significant changes (new sensors and capabilities, improved/larger bodies, increased prices).
At least a new DX body will also be announced, but I am not sure if it will be a D500 equivalent or just an improved Z50.
I am not sure about anything else, including a Z8.

For lenses, they added a few new ones to the November 2022 roadmap - releasing them as well as the remaining ones from the previous roadmaps should keep them busy for the entire 2023. There will most likely be some "surprises" like they were in the past 2 years.

Based on the interview mentioned above, I also believe that they will be more active in the "software" area, both with new/improved in-camera capabilities, as well as with shooting/post-processing solutions (such as remote camera operation). They will add more video capabilities to at least some of the new cameras.

In terms of personal expectations, as I mentioned before, my camera bags are full, and I will not buy new equipment unless it replaces something I have. In fact, I might even start to let go of some of my less used equipment in 2023...

In terms of lenses on the roadmap, there is nothing that I need / want right now. I am still curious about that 26mm (non-S) lens that could be a true pancake...
In terms of cameras, if the Z6 III has a 30-36MP sensor and improved ergonomics, I might buy it to replace both my Z6 and D810, in which case I will let go of all my F-mount lenses except for the Voigtlander ones that I use with the Df. The Df will stay :)
This comment has nothing to be with Darin Marcus, I also read the press releases:

If the Market share continues to fall, at full speed, there is no sustainable revenue let alone profit growth. Even in the medium term. Maybe they just want to kill the imaging division and get all the money possible from the gullible. Noting

Nikon has the problem that they lack Sensor technology. They can never have anything better than Sony in terms of camera technology. They will always be catching up. It's amazing that a 2800$ Sony or Canon has better AF in terms of consistency than the Nikon Z9. Even worse I am not sure that Nikon Technology will allow a modern action AF performance with
a Sensor that is not Stacked. Nikon needs a Z8 or at least a Z7 III with decent action AF.

In terms of lenses, they are late but doing great. My guess is that they needed to redesign the 85mm f1.1 to avoid a debacle like the 50mm f1.2 (it's basically and old Sigma lens in terms of approach, big, heavy, approaching optical perfection. It even looks like one) . That philosophy is dead. Just like Canon they have unique lenses. Canon mainstream like the 24-70mm f2.0 and Nikon on the Telephoto side like the. 800mm pf, the. 400mm and 600mm TC and even the. 400mm 4.5

What I expect:
1. A 85mm f1.2 lens.
2. A Nikon Z7 III with the Z9 sensor but slower and compact, or a. Z8 with the. 60MP sensor that focuses like a z7 II (so not up to par with the modern world).
3. At the end of the year the. 400-600mm
4. A couple of blessed 3th party lenses.
5. a crop factor camera. I hope I am wrong, but it's possible.

I was directing Nikon: rumors of negotiations with. Samsung to develop camera sensors. But clearly, it's not going to happen.

The future is not in our hands, a natural disaster or war could derail the train, for a while or for the rest of our lifespans.

Best regards,

Photon42

I think Nikon will bring a 60+ sensor and for that the first camera to introduce it will be a Z8. My take on this is that it will be priced high and got advanced AF and video features. Not sure what the issues exactly are to bring it to the market relatively late, but it seems that other companies also have (sourcing) issues.
Lenses: My Lens portfolio is definitely complete short of maybe a TC for my zoom, but what does that really mean :cool:. I am also convinced Nikon will bring a 1.2/85 in 2023, super high quality and probably at a very interesting price (for Nikon :eek:).

Swissblad

I'm first in line for the D500 replacement - and a dedicated 16-80mm zoom - a combo that has served me so well the past few years.

jduncan

Now we know why Nikon needed a bigger booth at CES 2023. You cannot show a giant mock-up of a wind turbine blade with drones and industrial robots placed around it and the "Unreal Ride" in a corner booth:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-events/ces-2023.page

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/press-room/press-release/lah1vhur/Nikon-Exhibits-at-CES<sup>®<%2Fsup>-2023.html
Its funny how Nikon was crucified, and with good reason, when in. 2017 they decided to have 32 men test the new Camera and not a single woman. It seems they learn the reason well and are making sure people understand that the future is female and the only men on the main page are two partial heads cut above their eyes.

Besides the interesting political bits, the good part for us is that the Camera and lenses still have a key position on the page. Nothing about the DSLR that Nikon promise it's not abandoning.

Best regards,

Swissblad

Well, we have the 85mm f1.2 and pancake 26mm announced....no hints of a Z8 or other camera body...and still no sign of the 200-600mm :(

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, we have the 85mm f1.2 and pancake 26mm announced....no hints of a Z8 or other camera body...and still no sign of the 200-600mm :(
Just found out that the 85 and the 26 are only so far announced as being developed. Will take some more time to see them in reality.....

Darin Marcus

Well, we have the 85mm f1.2 and pancake 26mm announced....
It looks like the two new lenses were locked in a transparent cage at CES 2023 - I am not aware of anyone posting comments after handholding them in the Nikon booth...
Based on the photos shared by Nikon Rumors from a CES visitor the lenses look pretty much done to me - hopefully they will be released soon.

In any case, given how few opportunities I have to photograph people, the 85mm f/1.8 S is more than enough for me, so I am not interested in the f/1.2.
The 26mm looks interesting though, so I preordered :)
Looking forward to try it on both my Z50 and Z6.

Darin Marcus

Officially announced before CP+2023:

Nikon USA Press Release: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-n...E-NEW-NIKKOR-Z-85MM-F%2F1.2-S-PRIME-LENS.html

NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.2 S
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_85mmf12s/index.htm

NIKKOR Z 26mm f/2.8
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_26mmf28/index.htm

The price for the 26mm is higher than I expected, but I will still go ahead with the purchase. Contrary to what I read on several websites, it does have the basic Super Integrated Coating. Nikon Japan specifies March 3rd as the release date for the 26mm, but I was told that in the US it may ship a bit earlier, at the end of February.

tcdeveau

I went ahead and put in an order for the 85 1.2 last night....not sure if i'll keep the order or not since I have no business buying a lens right now but we'll see.

Excited for the release nonetheless, performance looks pretty good.

Swissblad

The 85 1.2 looks stunning - a lens to dream of - and a legend in the making.

I can imagine the 26mm pancake will be handy on a small body - very discrete travel package.

May even be quite cool on a Z fc ;)

tcdeveau

My 85 1.2s is shipping out today. Going to play around with it and figure out if I want to keep it or not....thinking I may want something smaller, like a Fuji X cam and 56 1.2, but we'll see.