The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
The file sizes were between 3.5 gigs and 6 gigs for the biggest. The 1st image I put together at the actual size of 12ft x 37ft at 75 dpi. I was worried about the print, but by the time I layered images on top of each other and added texture and 10points of monochrome noise, I was surprised at how good the print looked. I printed a test of a crop that was 8ft x 42inches. The whole image was around 6 gigs. For the other two which were much longer, I had to break the image up into 3 sections. I still did the image work at 75 dpi at actual size for each section. I had to save the images in photoshop as LARGE FORMAT DOCUMENT. I had never used this before, but it is the only way to work on images this large.
I usually use genuine fractals to enlarge images, but for this, believe it or not, I just put an image in and then enlarged it in photoshop with the image/scale command. I also stretched images in different ways to make the composition work. I didn't see any way that I could plan out the sizes of each image, it had to be a loose and free approach.

I used a few different cameras. Some of the images where shot a long time ago on a Canon 10D and some I went out and shot just for this project. I used the EP-2, Leica M8, and a Hasselblad H1 with an old Imacon back for the current shots. It was surprising how well the different camera images worked together.

The images are being printed in New York by a company that specializes in wall coverings. They will be printed on adhesive backed vinyl. They will be responsible for hanging the sections, and I assume they will print it like I did at 75 dpi from the actual files. I tried using Genuine Fractals to make the images 150dpi after the whole image was flattened and put together, but it didn't seem to make a difference in the look. Just doubled the already huge file sizes.

Mike

DHart

Mike.. thanks very much for the details. I've been an admirer of your work for some time. Magnificent! And this project is so perfect for your artistic style. Bravo.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>When the space is complete, I will take some installation shots and post them.

That would be great.

>I've been an admirer of your work for some time.
+1

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much DHart and Uwe. It was a fun project. Now my goal is to see if I can get other cities interested in doing something similar.
mike

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen. I'm relieved that everyone seems positive about the work. I was starting to wonder about it. Happens to me when I work on a project for such a long time.
Mike

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Jorgen. I'm relieved that everyone seems positive about the work. I was starting to wonder about it. Happens to me when I work on a project for such a long time.
Mike
Very nice work Mike!
Sorry a late reaction but my computer broke down and is on repair.

I like the way how you kept it simple, black and white, and how well the transparant red surfaces brings the work together.
Russian constructivists like approach!
Somehow the subjects look outdated, the plane and buildings, was that part of the commision?

Well done and congrats,

Michiel

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: TWA Super Constellation

That shot of the TWA Super Constellation shows your real age Mike! :D
Yes I am just a couple of years older the the "Connie" as it is nicknamed. Would you believe they still fly that plane around the city every once in a while.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Very nice work Mike!
Sorry a late reaction but my computer broke down and is on repair.

I like the way how you kept it simple, black and white, and how well the transparant red surfaces brings the work together.
Russian constructivists like approach!
Somehow the subjects look outdated, the plane and buildings, was that part of the commision?

Well done and congrats,

Michiel
Thanks Michiel, That's funny you should mention the Russian constructivists. My Czech wife worked with me on this project and her last comment before we turned in the work was, "I hope the client doesn't think it looks Russian".
As for the dated look, that's Kansas City! We have a few really modern buildings going up now, but not finished, so I couldn't put them in. The client actually wanted me to focus on the old buildings. The plane is historic to Kansas City, because TWA was based here.

cheers
MIke

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
"Biltmore Estate Pond"

This is a shot from the Biltmore Estates garden. It is a beautiful place to shoot if you are into landscapes. I’ve been there several times over the years. It was also the setting for one of my favorite movies, “Being There”.

Mike

DHart

Wonderful image, Mike. And your mention of "Being There" brought back some good memories from long ago... Peter Sellers was awesome in that film.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Diane. I usually try and stop there when I am heading to Clemson to see my dad. It's a special place.
mike

kweide

From a rainy day

Olympus E-5 + Zuiko 50 mm f2, no NR
ISO200 @ f2.2, 1/200 second, 50 mm focal length​