The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 for iPad announces tethering for all currently supported cameras (EXCEPT PHASE ONE)

tcdeveau

I mean remember the 80mm MKII? I asked my dealer how many he sold last year (2, one to me) - is one of the biggest dealers in Germany. Seeing this, why would they invest anymore R&D in say a revision of the 55mm which is their worst optic in the XF line? Precisely, no reason.

The reason why the evolution stopped is because some people looked at the business unit and said we stop putting money into it and focus on where the big bucks are ... selling repro stations for 70k, for example ... or dual camera arrays for aerial applications. Don't want to know the list price, but wouldn't be surprised if it is near 200k.
The list price of the 80mm MkII I imagine is hard for most to swallow considering what the MkI is currently selling for on the used market, at least for me. I’d rather put that $$ into tech cam lenses.

Paul Spinnler

The list price of the 80mm MkII I imagine is hard for most to swallow considering what the MkI is currently selling for on the used market, at least for me. I’d rather put that $$ into tech cam lenses.
I think for most XF lenses are way too expensive; I got a few good CPO deals before they moved the warehouse away (which allowed one to see the condition with a friendly sales rep) and then some on the used market.

I think that's why we will never see a 55 MK II, unfortunately, especially given the environment.

The reason why the evolution stopped is because some people looked at the business unit and said we stop putting money into it and focus on where the big bucks are ... selling repro stations for 70k, for example ... or dual camera arrays for aerial applications. Don't want to know the list price, but wouldn't be surprised if it is near 200k.
You can find the pricing of the 280MP aerial system in some of the webinars on the Phase One Geospatial Youtube channel. It was around 500k in 2020 and presented as "AFFORDABLE" in that field.

Paul Spinnler

You can find the pricing of the 280MP aerial system in some of the webinars on the Phase One Geospatial Youtube channel. It was around 500k in 2020 and presented as "AFFORDABLE" in that field.
There you go. This is why it doesn't make sense for them to spend a single cent atm into R&D (new 55, fees for Cambo to add tilt to all XT lenses, fee to C1 for auto LCC implementation, etc.).

Why deal with photographers who complain that tethering still isnt perfect on the iphone and the list price is so much higher than the one of the Fuji when you can just send your sales reps to pitch aerial, repro cameras? Margins in aerial are sure higher than in photo.

And let's not forget the dimensions here - 20k for a photographer is very much while states fund wars where each a single missile can cost a million and outfitting drones with 280 megapixel cameras is ofc then not an issue ... no brainer to fully focus on industrial and milk the photo side.

med

Maybe all the feature requests for things like iPad tethering support, BOB release triggering FA and DE+ shots, focus mask, and zero latency mode brought their webserver down?

Paul Spinnler

That's indeed super weird. Even semi-professional businesses get this sorted within 24h usually. P1 is a high calibre company ...

Paul Spinnler

IQ5 and XT Max
Well XT Max is a must - I don't understand why they just don't license the Cambo 5000, slap 1500 USD on top and change the design a bit by adding a shutter button, etc. Cambo should be open to license one of their larger bodies for a marked-up stylized variant with electronic contacts ...

Reactions: med

JeffK

It is typically a bit soft in the corners wide open - yours is not? Is it sharp across the frame?
I'll have to test. I usually don't shoot wide open.

edit. Checked some landscapes I did at F4 before I stopped down to my usual F8-11. I can see some softness in the corners. My usual exposures put everything where I need it to be. Suits me the way I use it.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I'll have to test. I usually don't shoot wide open.

edit. Checked some landscapes I did at F4 before I stopped down to my usual F8-11. I can see some softness in the corners. My usual exposures put everything where I need it to be. Suits me the way I use it.
These are all great lenses - point is that the 55 was a design that was always a bit weak in the corners and they never updated it. You don't have the issue with the long focal lengths and the 35, 45 are all new designs which are perfect edge to edge. Only the 55 and 80 had "issues" compared to the others in terms of overall sharpness edge to edge and vignetting. The 80 MK II solved this and now the only remaining lens which is below average is the 55. You can buy the silver ring - it is the same performance, costs like 1000 ... The 45 is in a whole other class. Bitingly sharp wide open. Fantastic lens. I think the 110 and 150 3.5 are also a bit weaker, but I don't have first hand experience with them. I directly got the 150 2.8 when it came out and it was a new design as well.

Last edited:

buildbot

The support page loads, but you can’t download anything, no firmware, no documentation. You can login and see your registered hardware and that’s pretty much it.
Wow what did they do :LOL:

These are all great lenses - point is that the 55 was a design that was always a bit weak in the corners and they never updated it. You don't have the issue with the long focal lengths and the 35, 45 are all new designs which are perfect edge to edge. Only the 55 and 80 had "issues" compared to the others in terms of overall sharpness edge to edge and vignetting. The 80 MK II solved this and now the only remaining lens which is below average is the 55. You can buy the silver ring - it is the same performance, costs like 1000 ... The 45 is in a whole other class. Bitingly sharp wide open. Fantastic lens. I think the 110 and 150 3.5 are also a bit weaker, but I don't have first hand experience with them. I directly got the 150 2.8 when it came out and it was a new design as well.
Does this hold true for the older non LS Mamiya lenses? I recall hearing some of the lenses had reduced performance when the leaf shutter was added - I have the original 55mm (plastic barrel) and it is also one of my favorite lenses. Have not checked the corners much though.