The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Import from Hasselblad

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have a question. My C1 license is limited to my P1 images. But I would like to try out C1-23 with images taken with my iPhone. (I use Photomator for my iPhone but want to try C1)

What must I do to make this work?
You would need to purchase Capture One Pro or start a trial for the same.

Capture One for Phase One only works with Phase One files.

KlausJH

You only have access to all tools when the file is a raw. If your P1 license cannot open an Apple dng then there is no way you can work with it under C1.

I have worked a little bit more on the import script to convert .3FR or .fff files using the Adobe DNG Converter.
(macOS only)
The workflow has become very simple.
Copy all .3FR files from your sd card to a folder "HasselbIadC1" located in your picture folder.
Run the script "Hasselblad_to_dng" which needs to be copied once in C1s Script-Folder.
Now you can import your images from the folder "HasselbIadC1".

The script converts all .3FR or .fff files to .dng files, alters the Exif maker tag to HasselbIad (2nd l becomes a upper cas i) and deletes the .3FR files when finished.

Here is the "Hasselblad_to_dng" script:

set str_application_path to quoted form of "/Applications/Adobe DNG Converter.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe DNG Converter"
set str_options to " -c -d ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1 "
set inputFolder to "~/pictures/HasselbIadC1"
set foundImages to paragraphs of (do shell script "/usr/bin/mdfind -onlyin " & inputFolder & " 'kMDItemContentTypeTree == \"*public.image*\"'")

repeat with i in foundImages
set oneImage to i
do shell script str_application_path & str_options & oneImage
end repeat

do shell script
"rm -rf ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1/*.3FR"
do shell script "/usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -make='HasselbIad' -m ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1"
display dialog "done" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note

Have fun!
Should the exif not be changed from Hasselblad to Phase One -- otherwise Capture One does not recognise the file -- it does is the script is changed.

/usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -make='Phase One' -m ~/pictures/HasselbladC1

BTW I cannot get the script to work on my mac running Sonoma 14.0 and my terminal in bash.

The DNG conversion is easy so really the only script that needs to run is the line above - to change the manufacturer, which simply can be run in terminal.

HOWEVER -- an easier way for me is to simply use DxO Pure RAW 3 to convert the 3FR raw file into DNG and then use Exif Editor (a very simple app) to change the camera manufacturer from "Hasselblad" to "Phase One" -- all files are immediately opened in C1 and come with the PR3 goodness which includes some optical corrections for most XCD lenses and DeepPrimeXD processing.
I use PR3 when processing most X2D images when I intend to work on them in Adobe or C1

tenmangu81

Are you sure you don't miss colours when transforming your .fff into .dng ? I have for long export/convert my .fff files into .dng using Phocus, then open them within Capture One (using the EXIF trick), until I made a colour comparison using the eyedrop which makes me realize that I shrinked some colours when going from Phocus (or Lightroom) to Capture One. Then, I decided to switch from Capture One to Lightroom. But maybe the DNG conversion is better when using Adobe DNG converter.

SrMphoto

Are you sure you don't miss colours when transforming your .fff into .dng ? I have for long export/convert my .fff files into .dng using Phocus, then open them within Capture One (using the EXIF trick), until I made a colour comparison using the eyedrop which makes me realize that I shrinked some colours when going from Phocus (or Lightroom) to Capture One. Then, I decided to switch from Capture One to Lightroom. But maybe the DNG conversion is better when using Adobe DNG converter.
DNG conversion in Phocus does not make much sense as all Phocus tuning is lost. You can do initial adjustments in Phocus (e.g. highlight recovery), export as TIFF and then continue in C1.

ThdeDude

Maybe I am getting old and grumpy! I am tired thinking about, tinkering with, and paying for various complex photo editor software and their file systems.

Hopefully at the end of this year will have a back side-illuminated sensor (IQ4-150 or CFV-100c), and consequently, may no longer require cast calibration correction at post. Will ditch C1 and Phocus (already cancelled my LR subscription) and will see whether Photomator, in combination with Apple Photo as the photo file system, will be enough of a photo editor for my needs.

Last edited:

tenmangu81

DNG conversion in Phocus does not make much sense as all Phocus tuning is lost. You can do initial adjustments in Phocus (e.g. highlight recovery), export as TIFF and then continue in C1.
Agree !! Phocus is just there for the conversion then. Could use Adobe DNG converter in the same way. But keep in mind that TIFF are less flexible than raw when making adjustments in Capture One (or other demosaicing softwares). It's then better to let Phocus do all the job rather than adjusting a TIFF in Capture One.

tenmangu81

We have been asking to provide linear Dng files from Phocus for a while.
It would be fantastic !! But if we know how Phocus or Lightroom process Hasselblad files (saving HNCS), we don't know how other developing softwares such as Capture One or Photomator, for instance, would open them, in particular with respect to colors.

SrMphoto

Agree !! Phocus is just there for the conversion then. Could use Adobe DNG converter in the same way. But keep in mind that TIFF are less flexible than raw when making adjustments in Capture One (or other demosaicing softwares). It's then better to let Phocus do all the job rather than adjusting a TIFF in Capture One.
I agree on TIFF disadvantage. However, masking and other tools are best done outside Phocus, IMO. You could consider Phocus as ACR replacement.

KlausJH

@KlausJH does it retain the settings from DNG converter? I have mine set to embed the original RAW file.
It should, same preferences.
Meanwhile I have given up C1. Earlier this year I tried Lr classic. I'm working with Hasselblad, Leica and Sony. It makes my life much easier to use one software that can handle all my files. A .dng export from Phocus renders differently when imported to C1 than a .fff in Phocus or Lr.
I don't see much sense in patching Exif data until one day (maybe never) Capture One is willing to fully support Hasselblad files.
So this works for me and I'm happy the way it is.