The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Coming back to Leica

Don Libby

The past 4-months haven’t been the best. Two surgeries to correct a bowel blockage and partial colon removal and the second to insert a port for chemo. I am by no means complaining folks! It also seems that the arthritis in my left hand is flaring up more often. Hell, I’m 76-years old and very lucky to even be here having survived a war, being shot and a head-on accident.

So why am I writing this here in the Leica section? Feb 2010, I bought my first Leica M9 and fell in love. This was the same period that I was using Phase One and Cambo. As much as I enjoyed using the M9 I quickly found that I had a severe limitation on how large I could effectively print and within less than 2-years sold the M9 going instead with the Phase One system. If I ever had seller remose it was with the M9. The Phase One/Cambo system was retired shortly after Fujifilm introduced their first GFX (my current body has been the 100s).

Did I mention I’m getting older? I’m also slowing down and will soon go into semi-retirement from Iron Creek Photography. Sandy (for those who don’t know is my wife) has also been shooting a 100s for the past couple of years. We’ve had a couple of conversations lately where we both agree that we want/need to slow down and how much we’d like to return to a simpler life.

One thing led to another and we have decided to sell/trade all of our Fuji gear. Sandy will go back to a Sony a7r either Iva or V. I am on the way to getting a Leica M11 (should have it by Tuesday). I’ve decided on a pack of lenses, mostly Voigtlander in 28, 50 and 75 while picking up a Leica 135 (should have it Monday).

I haven’t been posting much on GETDPI however I plan to change that shortly.

Don

ptomsu

Workshop Member
All the best Don for your recovery!

And I feel with you to have to simplify. Feel very similar and am happily shooting now some of my old Leica M lenses on my SL2-S, which is a great combo, albeit a bit heavy. Might one day add a M11 or M12 ... don't know yet!

Again enjoy your new part of your life and enjoy Leica. Hope to see some great shots from you here in the coming years!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The past 4-months haven’t been the best. Two surgeries to correct a bowel blockage and partial colon removal and the second to insert a port for chemo. I am by no means complaining folks! It also seems that the arthritis in my left hand is flaring up more often. Hell, I’m 76-years old and very lucky to even be here having survived a war, being shot and a head-on accident.

So why am I writing this here in the Leica section? Feb 2010, I bought my first Leica M9 and fell in love. This was the same period that I was using Phase One and Cambo. As much as I enjoyed using the M9 I quickly found that I had a severe limitation on how large I could effectively print and within less than 2-years sold the M9 going instead with the Phase One system. If I ever had seller remose it was with the M9. The Phase One/Cambo system was retired shortly after Fujifilm introduced their first GFX (my current body has been the 100s).

Did I mention I’m getting older? I’m also slowing down and will soon go into semi-retirement from Iron Creek Photography. Sandy (for those who don’t know is my wife) has also been shooting a 100s for the past couple of years. We’ve had a couple of conversations lately where we both agree that we want/need to slow down and how much we’d like to return to a simpler life.

One thing led to another and we have decided to sell/trade all of our Fuji gear. Sandy will go back to a Sony a7r either Iva or V. I am on the way to getting a Leica M11 (should have it by Tuesday). I’ve decided on a pack of lenses, mostly Voigtlander in 28, 50 and 75 while picking up a Leica 135 (should have it Monday).

I haven’t been posting much on GETDPI however I plan to change that shortly.

Don
Great to see you back Don. My experience somewhat follows yours - I had an M9 along with my Phase gear but sold it to buy more SK lenses. Now I'm a month or two from 80 yrs and finding the PI very heavy for hiking/travelling. I'm keeping most of it for work from my car, but my "go to" camera has become the M11-P and lenses from 25 to 135mm. I'm off to Africa tomorrow with two bodies, 21mm, 35mm, 90 Macro and 135mm. Altogether they weigh less than the XF/IQ150 and standard lens.

I'm enjoying using, once again, what is really a manual camera.

And I look forward to seeing some more of your great images in the Leica thread!

Don Libby

Nice line up of lenes and very close to mine. I have (or will be getting shortly) Voigtlanders 28, 50 and 75 and I have a Leica 135 arriving today. I also have my eye on a Leica 28-35-50 for more of a walk around lens when I don't want to carry more than just one.

Don

Paratom

Don,
I wish you good health and I think it is great to have something like the M11 you are looking forward to, having fun and enjoy. The more difficult life is sometimes the more important to have some positive things to focus on. (Or focus with ;) )
I own many Leica lenses but also a 75/1.5 CV and recently added a 35/1.4 S.C. and what I read the 28 CV should be great lenses as well.
I am sure you will have lots of fun, the simplicity of the Leica M is fun in our complexe world. I switched back and forth between Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Hasselblad, Sinar,...the only system I always had and never completely got out has been Leica M.
Have to say I barely use 135mm because M for me is mainly between 21 and 75mm, most often between 28 and 50 mm.
I don't think you would use a MATE often, rather 28 and 50 primes. I once had a MATE, it's a fine lens, but I also don't miss it much. For some reason I often shoot at faster f-stops like f2 or 2.8.

Knorp

Looking forward to see you posting here again, Don.

My story of 'Coming back to Leica' is a little different.
In August 2014 I lost all of my M cameras (and much more) because of a burglary.
Now after almost 10 years of endless deliberation, I recently took the plunge (again) into 'das Wesentliche' ... 😌

All the best.

Don Libby

Looking forward to see you posting here again, Don.

My story of 'Coming back to Leica' is a little different.
In August 2014 I lost all of my M cameras (and much more) because of a burglary.
Now after almost 10 years of endless deliberation, I recently took the plunge (again) into 'das Wesentliche' ... 😌

All the best.
I remember you posting about the theft but lost track of the history

iiiNelson

Welcome back… I recently returned myself after selling my M9’s and going mostly to Sony after the M240 was released. I picked up the M11 Monochrom last Autumn. I already quite a few Voigtlander M lenses like the 21/1.4, 35/1.2, and 75/1.5, then I picked up the 50/2 APO and the Thypoch 28/1.4 recently. I have been loving it actually to the point I’m actually am getting around to sell a lot of other kit to consolidate everything down. I’m leaning towards the SL3 but the X2D-100 and those new V lenses are looking great as well. So who knows. I’m sure the SL3 will be more versatile by having both Photo and Video options. With the improved hybrid AF and a tilt screen in a world obsessed with fully articulating ones the SL3 seems to be a logical choice.

In any case, all the best in your recovery and look forward to new images.

JoelM

I still shoot M9, regular and Mono, as well as an MP. I have a small assortment of lenses, but of the non-Leica, I enjoy the 50 APO VM, 75 1.5 VM, and the 35 1.4 SC VM. The latter gives a Mandlerish look at 1.4. I use the FLE for other reasons. Also, the Zeiss 21 is nice as are all the ZM lenses.
Enjoy your M11 and lenses in good health!!!

Don Libby

it was much like Christmas here with boxes to open. I now have the M11 and all but one lens on my list. I've been able to pick up like new 135 and waiting for a 28-35-50. I also have in my hot little hands Voigtlander 28,50 and a 65. I've had a Voigtlander 15mm that's been sitting on my desk for close to a decade and will try that out soon.

Don Libby

Wich 28 and which 50 did you get?
I picked got the 50mm Nokton f/1,2 the same place as the M11, B&H
I went to CameraQuest for the Nokton f.1.5 28mm and 75 Ultron.
I have an older 15mm 4.something that looks like it'll do very nicely.
KEH had a LN- copy of a 135 and an excellent plus of the 28-35-50.
I have all the lenses except the zoom.

Felt good today and the sky was near perfect so we went out and began testing. I forgot just how beautiful the files look in camera. Yes, I'll be sharing soon.

Don

Forgot to add this little tidbit. Don't know if it is because I'm in Arizona however CameraQuest does not charge sales tax and I got free 1-day shipping.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Lets see if I remember how to add an image...

Yesterday was a perfect day to field test the M11. The files were opened in C1-21 to check critical focus before sending to PSCC to resize and save to JPEG. No other processing was done with the exception of the black & white which was converted in C1-21.

Leica Testing L1000012 Don LIbby LEICA M11 Feb 28 2024 1.jpg

Leica Testing L1000013 Don LIbby LEICA M11 Feb 28 2024.jpg

Don Libby

Figured out the lens menu while undergoing my 3 round of chemo yesterday. I had the lens setting to R. I've changed to settings to M and have also attempted to set the nearest lens to match my non-coded lenses (which are all of them). I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth the trouble of coding the lens just to add the FL to the metadata as I normally don't shoot with more than 2 at a time.