The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Coming back to Leica

pegelli

All my lenses are uncoded, either old Leicas or newer Voigtländers. I find it worthwhile to set the lens manually to get the right FL in the metadata and remind me which lens was used. Like you I usually don't go out with many lenses but I tend to forget which ones after some time and this helps me.

Manoli

… I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth the trouble of coding the lens just to add the FL to the metadata as I normally don't shoot with more than 2 at a time.
IMO, it most definitely is if you’re in the habit of looking back over photographs and wondering ‘what lens did I use ? ‘
When coding came out I sent my old lenses back to Leica but with ‘non-Leica’ glass one doesn’t have that option. A black felt-tip marker and good ‘how-to’ info should make it easier.

This is the best source I’ve used:

Don Libby

IMO, it most definitely is if you’re in the habit of looking back over photographs and wondering ‘what lens did I use ? ‘
When coding came out I sent my old lenses back to Leica but with ‘non-Leica’ glass one doesn’t have that option. A black felt-tip marker and good ‘how-to’ info should make it easier.

This is the best source I’ve used:
I've been doing a lot of research on coding and it seems that it won't be that big a deal to do it. Found a pre-made template on ebay by akaralabs.com that I should have sometime next week.

Don

Don Libby

Quick update. The encoder arrived late yesterday. Started using it this morning. Interesting that the Lowa 15mm and 90 Speedmaster both have been milled so no need for the encoder. I coded the 28-35-50 and it works just as well ( I also found the tiny spring). The info changes with each change of the FL. Next up is my Voigtlanders 28, 50 and 75 then the 135.

The part is very well made and super easy to use.

Don

B L

Don, another lens should I recommend, that is, Laowa Dreamer 12-24 in Leica M mount. I just picked one up (used but all boxed like new). It wont replace Tri Elmar WATE but for the money it represents excellent VFM. The coupled RF works fine.
Phil's reviewed it here>>
also here>>

Don Libby

Been busy the past couple weeks with my Chemo treatments with little time for photos. I have been researching 6-bit coding and found a seller on e-bay that I now trust. Ordered a flange for the 135 that came properly coded for $39 plus shipping (Atlanta GA). Great communications and I found that he offers flanges/coding for Voigtlander $51 each. The seller is photographer_in_mask. You might want to look him up.

I also picked up a new to me 24mm Elmarit from KEH that's been coded. That only leaves my MATE 28-35-50. I've reached out to Leica and was informed the turnaround is about 4-5 weeks which fits perfectly as my last Chemo treatment is in June. The cost looks to be in the range of $400.

PeterA

Been busy the past couple weeks with my Chemo treatments with little time for photos. I have been researching 6-bit coding and found a seller on e-bay that I now trust. Ordered a flange for the 135 that came properly coded for $39 plus shipping (Atlanta GA). Great communications and I found that he offers flanges/coding for Voigtlander $51 each. The seller is photographer_in_mask. You might want to look him up.

I also picked up a new to me 24mm Elmarit from KEH that's been coded. That only leaves my MATE 28-35-50. I've reached out to Leica and was informed the turnaround is about 4-5 weeks which fits perfectly as my last Chemo treatment is in June. The cost looks to be in the range of $400.
Thanks for the recommendation re adaptor Don and atb with your treatment.
Pete

Knorp

Are you going to replace the flange yourself, Don ?
I wonder if it won't affect the focusing alignment. Hopefully it's not as critical as what I always thought it was.
Still have nightmares thinking of my M8/M9 troubles when I had to sent all of my cameras and lenses to Leica.
Good luck, anyway !

Don Libby

Are you going to replace the flange yourself, Don ?
I wonder if it won't affect the focusing alignment. Hopefully it's not as critical as what I always thought it was.
Still have nightmares thinking of my M8/M9 troubles when I had to sent all of my cameras and lenses to Leica.
Good luck, anyway !
I've replaced the 135 myself which was easy. I should have the Voigtlander flanges Monday and hope to have them done as well. The 28-50 has been shipped to NJ where they will do it.

I'll keep you posted....

Don

Forgot to add that I had picked up a tool kit that while advertised for computers is a perfect match for swapping out the flanges. Tool kit

Last edited:

algrove

Don
New to the thread.
I have not been on here much at all since the get police blocked a negative Phase thread many months back.

Anyway sorry to hear of your issues. I had a similar colon blockage. Took out 30cm of colon along with appendix. My one good eye still works, but the SL3 helps immensely.

Have not seen you since we walked up and down and up and down Silo City for a few days a number of years back. I was still using my Phase/Alpa setup and you were just into the GFX 50 original.

I later shed my Phase gear for Fuji, but always kept some M lenses since selling my M240 kit. But being the sucker I am I got the M10, M10M, M10R and now M11 and M11M. I coded my VM 75/1.5 which I like to have on all my lenses since I can never to remember to tell the camera which lens I used.

BR, Lou

Like many here I say "Do it now or do it never" since at 6 feet under photography is no longer viable.

k-hawinkler

Good luck to you Don and Lou With your health issues and your gear choices. Having just turned 76 I can relate to age-related issues.

I still have my M9, now with a Kolari sensor, and many, many Leica lenses. However, age-related poor eye sight keeps me from using it the way I used to. Now using my WATE 16-18-21/4 or CV 15/4.5 set to f/9 and infinity on the M9 has to suffice.

My primary camera these days has been my Sony A1. With appropriate adapters I can also use my Leica lenses of M and R type on the A1, some even with auto focus. However, I rarely do that as Sony now has an excellent set of native FE AF lenses.

I also still have Nikon, Olympus, and Fuji GFX gear, although I gave some Nikon, Olympus, and Sony gear to my kids. Next to my Sony A1 and A9 cameras my Fuji GFX 50S and its spectacular lenses sees some usage, but not enough. The Sony A1 camera, although 3 years old, is still technologically pretty advanced so that Nikon and Canon are still catching up.

I am looking forward to a future Sony A1 Mark II camera, provided it makes another jump forward technologically. Similarly as the Sony A9 Mark III did, but with at least 50 MPix.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Don
New to the thread.
I have not been on here much at all since the get police blocked a negative Phase thread many months back.

Anyway sorry to hear of your issues. I had a similar colon blockage. Took out 30cm of colon along with appendix. My one good eye still works, but the SL3 helps immensely.

Have not seen you since we walked up and down and up and down Silo City for a few days a number of years back. I was still using my Phase/Alpa setup and you were just into the GFX 50 original.

I later shed my Phase gear for Fuji, but always kept some M lenses since selling my M240 kit. But being the sucker I am I got the M10, M10M, M10R and now M11 and M11M. I coded my VM 75/1.5 which I like to have on all my lenses since I can never to remember to tell the camera which lens I used.

BR, Lou

Like many here I say "Do it now or do it never" since at 6 feet under photography is no longer viable.
Buffalo seems like a lifetime ago! Not to be overly graphic, I went in the hospital mid Nov for a blockage and a couple days later they removed the colon in my right side (I kept my appendix). I remember the first time I turned on the right side and felt stuff move into the void! :). Was told that they got all the cancer however they wanted to put me on a treatment schedule as a precaution. I've gone through 4 treatments so far and begin my 5th within a couple of hours. Each treatment is 21-days; today I have an infusion and begin taking 3-pills a day for 14 days then I'm off my meds for 7-days then rinse and repeat. Last treatment is June. I'll be tired and ill/sick for the next 5-6 days then gradually begin to feel better.

We have a trip planed for Montana in Sept to visit the northern area around Yellowstone and should have 9-weeks in-between the last treatment and the time we leave. Just going to take it easy. I've been told I'm like a cockroach as many things have tried to kill me and I'm still here. :)

Glad to hear from you and hope you are doing well.

Don

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Buffalo seems like a lifetime ago! Not to be overly graphic, I went in the hospital mid Nov for a blockage and a couple days later they removed the colon in my right side (I kept my appendix). I remember the first time I turned on the right side and felt stuff move into the void! :). Was told that they got all the cancer however they wanted to put me on a treatment schedule as a precaution. I've gone through 4 treatments so far and begin my 5th within a couple of hours. Each treatment is 21-days; today I have an infusion and begin taking 3-pills a day for 14 days then I'm off my meds for 7-days then rinse and repeat. Last treatment is June. I'll be tired and ill/sick for the next 5-6 days then gradually begin to feel better.

We have a trip planed for Montana in Sept to visit the northern area around Yellowstone and should have 9-weeks in-between the last treatment and the time we leave. Just going to take it easy. I've been told I'm like a cockroach as many things have tried to kill me and I'm still here. :)

Don
Good luck, Don, we'll be thinking of you. My wife had breast cancer 19 years ago and she's now healthy 80 year old. Technology is slowly beating the disease.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Don
Don,

wish you really the best for that and I am sure you will go on that trip in Sept with your Leica(s) and be completely recovered!

We need you as Leica photographer, so there are no excuses ;):cool:(y)

All the best

Peter

Don Libby

Don,

wish you really the best for that and I am sure you will go on that trip in Sept with your Leica(s) and be completely recovered!

We need you as Leica photographer, so there are no excuses ;):cool:(y)

All the best

Peter
I will not lie, yesterday was brutal however today is much much better. It might be that I now have 8-lenses for my M11 with 4 of them Leica. Went down the rabbit hole this morning and ordered a new 75mm Summicron from the Leica store in SFO (they had one new in stock). It's funny when you check the order and they ask if you want to "Buy Again" :eek::)

scho

Best wishes for your recovery Don. I went through a bout with cancer 10 years ago with advanced prostate cancer, but after 44 rounds of radiation treatment and some hormone therapy it seems to be finally gone. Just keep on clicking and move on.