The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

drevil

Staff member
CFV16 Card Adapter with 32 gig Micro Cards Reader by Nokton48, on Flickr

I bought the CF Card Adapter from the UK (bought two of them). The 32 gig Micro Cards were $8 each at the local Walmart. Each one came with a microSDXC Adapter, which neatly stores the micro cards in this repurposed metal storage case. Have regular CF cards too, I been warned to use the Adapter, it's easier on the pins inside the back.

It's been pointed out to me that the above shot is not really sharp. I will switch to a Magnifying Hood, and a Focusing Screen made for the CFV16, with focus aides. Will test all that later today. It is kinds dark in there, especially with an F4 lens. And after changing to the CFV16 Screen, and reshooting a test on the red 283 setting, everything is good now. The 50mm f4 is hard to focus with the central cross standard screen. Looks sharp blown up on my PC.
the exif on flickr say this was shot with a sony nex-7

drevil

Staff member
this thread is meant to show images made with FAT PIXEL DIGITAL BACKS, please refrain of showing stuff of unrelated equipment, pics of such digital backs is fine though

buildbot

Do Phase One backs with Sensor+ qualify as FAT PIXEL? Their Spec Sheet lists them as 12um.
The "je ne sais quoi" of fat pixels is from what I recall, the alleged better color accuracy. I'd say an on sensor multi-sampling technique like sensor+ does sound like it would replicate the effect. Here is the Patent :)

Nokton48

Broncolor Impaspot Impact 41 CFV16 60 Dist by Nokton48, on Flickr

Rebuilding an Olde Broncolor Impaspot; in fact I have two of them. And now using Impaspot on a Impact 41 Monolight 375J strobe, clear dome don't have diffusion dome yet) Hasselblad 500C/M 60mm F3.5 Zeiss Distagon C T* CFV16 Digital Back. An olde crusty Acetate Mask needs to be reprinted and made clean. But the effect of this olde mask is kind of cool IMO. Olde Broncolor strobe spotlights are fun to play with :) Here I am firing a Broncolor Impaspot at a very large sheet of 1/4" Plexiglass, propped vertical on my FOBA Sweep Table. Kinda Kewl how the Impaspot lights the facets in the Plex. Flecks in the Plex! LOL. Looks kinda spacey.

Last edited:

Nokton48

Sconpho Spotlight 50mm CFV16 EI 100 F22 60mm by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing the Sconpho Optical Spotlight, on the Broncolor S80 600J Frosted Dome. Hasselblad 500C/M CFV16 Digital Back F22 EI 100 60mm C T* Black Distagon. Trying to get more evenness of illumination across the frame, this has some brightness in the center. May repeat this with the clear dome and see if that makes a difference. Optical Projector fired onto a sheet of white foam core.

Last edited:

Nokton48

Sanpho GOBO test Visatec 1600B 600J 50CT CFV16 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sanpho GOBO test Visatec 1600B Hasselblad 500C/M CFV16 Digital Back 60mm F3.5 C T* Zeiss Distagon. Clear dome over flash tube. F16 Indicated EI 100. GOBO fired onto canvas background. Image can be made pretty sharp with Canon Digital EF lenses. Broncolor FM Strobe Meter tested the light. Optical Projector fired at canvas background "Faded Linen" by Artist David Maheu.

Last edited:

Nokton48

Optical Spots S80 S40 Impact Visatec 1600B by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing three Optical Spotlights. In the back an S80 with the Impaspot. In the center the Visatec 1600B with new 85mm lens. In the front, the S40 with the Canon 135mm F1.8. All of these now ready to use. Also testing the Hasselblad Digital Back CFV16 60mm F3.5 CT* Distagon, running a C200 1600J in an Octobox 150 with Supplemental Diffusion. Silver fill camera right. EI 100 F16

nathantw

I'm still rockin' my P25. I guess one day I'll update it especially since the hot pixels are getting rather abundant, but since Capture One automatically gets rid of them I'll stick with it a little longer. Here are some shots I took of the flowers I normally never looked at and used a hedge trimmer to cut. I was originally playing with the 40mm lens and when I noticed that the flower looked pretty nice, so I attached a makro lens and off I went. The magnification is around 1:2. Being able to rotate the back to a vertical position was great since I didn't need to rotate the entire camera. That's definitely something the newer backs that were just released can't do.
Hasselblad 500 c/m, Phase One P25, 120mm f/4 CF and 16mm extension tube.

Escallonia (Pink Elle)

Last edited:

Nokton48

Broncolor Impaspot Finally Behaving CFV16 EI 100 F13.5 Indicated by Nokton48, on Flickr

Finally the Broncolor Impaspot is starting to Behave! This is the entire field, looks even to me, modeling lamp is not accurate due to ventilation holes in the frosted S80 Dome. Required for this unit. Broncolor Strobe Meter indicated EI 100 F13.5. Set that on the 60mm C T* Distagon, this is the result. Good enough to start using I think. Still looking for original Impaspot Accessories in good condition. CFV16 Digital Back F13.5. Broncolor Impact S80 Monolight 600J 150W Modeling gets hot! The Impact is fired onto a painted canvas background "Faded Linen" by Artist David Maheu

Last edited:

Nokton48

Digital V System 30mm to 120mm by Nokton48, on Flickr

Fat Pixel Digital Hasselblad CFV16 Back 30mm Distagon, 40mm Distagon, 50mm Distagon, 80mm Planar, 100mm Planar, and 120mm S-Planar. A short to medium full set, all roughly the same vintages. More than I can carry around, but it's here to use. Also 2 of 4 Lithium Battery Packs, Type CF Adapter, and seven 32G Micro Cards. I now prefer this late model Magnifying Hood, and the special CFV16 Acute Focusing Screen, which makes a huge deal with critical focus with this thing. It is -very- critical and DOF seems to be less than usual with this system. But all is good here. Loving those fat pixels.

Last edited: