The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm GFX100 II Teaser Video

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
No no, Matt. Same pixel pitch. I’m not crazy!
:rolleyes:
Dave
Oh! Well, then we can at least ask a well-posed question. Well, two questions. You point both cameras at a scene and you can ask how much of the scene is accessible to my shifted sensor "tiles", and how large is the area on the sensor plane of that chunk of the scene. In other words - what can I see, and how large a file will I get when I piece it all together. Angular coverage is twice the arctangent of the image circle radius divided by the focal length. If we can't shift out to the edges of the image circle, then we have to use some measure of the size of the covered region. That tells us how much of the scene we can see. The image magnification (assuming fixed camera position) just depends on the focal length and not the size of the image circle.

So now we can say something. It looks like the focal length and the image circle of the HR lens are both 10% larger than their Fuji counterparts. So we expect the same FoV over the tiled region, with 20% more pixels in the Phase One final image (10% more linear dimension and, as everyone knows, 110% of 110% = 120% :LOL: )

I'm probably wrong in every particular, but that's my guess.

Matt

dchew

Oh! Well, then we can at least ask a well-posed question. Well, two questions. You point both cameras at a scene and you can ask how much of the scene is accessible to my shifted sensor "tiles", and how large is the area on the sensor plane of that chunk of the scene. In other words - what can I see, and how large a file will I get when I piece it all together. Angular coverage is twice the arctangent of the image circle radius divided by the focal length. If we can't shift out to the edges of the image circle, then we have to use some measure of the size of the covered region. That tells us how much of the scene we can see. The image magnification (assuming fixed camera position) just depends on the focal length and not the size of the image circle.

So now we can say something. It looks like the focal length and the image circle of the HR lens are both 10% larger than their Fuji counterparts. So we expect the same FoV over the tiled region, with 20% more pixels in the Phase One final image (10% more linear dimension and, as everyone knows, 110% of 110% = 120% :LOL: )

I'm probably wrong in every particular, but that's my guess.

Matt
Thank you, Matt! So using @marc aurel 's 85mm image circle estimate (shifting on the diagonal), the GF30's angle is 109.6 degrees. The 32hr is 107.4 using a focal length of 33.06 (from Alpa's old website).

Dave

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thank you, Matt! So using @marc aurel 's 85mm image circle estimate (shifting on the diagonal), the GF30's angle is 109.6 degrees. The 32hr is 107.4 using a focal length of 33.06 (from Alpa's old website).

Dave
Yep. This are the numbers I get. Of course, the actual focal length of the Fuji may not be exactly 30. There's enough noise in the calculation that I'd call them equal (subject to testing in the real world).

marc aurel

Yep. This are the numbers I get. Of course, the actual focal length of the Fuji may not be exactly 30. There's enough noise in the calculation that I'd call them equal (subject to testing in the real world).
Thanks to both of you! Now that this is settled, who is going to make a comparison test for image quality under controlled circumstances between these lenses? :unsure::cool:

cunim

The Fuji has a mechanical shutter that can be triggered at a distance with a radio slave so you don't have to go back to the camera between each shot. Unless you are using XT lenses or have an assistant to move the lights in between shots for you this is not an option with the IQ.
Actually, Cascable (terrible app) does the IQ4 remote trigger thing for me.

Someone please get over the compulsion for complicated acquisition apps and make a little wifi box with three rotary knobs (aperture, shutter, ISO) and a button (shutter). That's all it does, and all it needs to do.

buildbot

Someone please get over the compulsion for complicated acquisition apps and make a little wifi box with three rotary knobs (aperture, shutter, ISO) and a button (shutter). That's all it does, and all it needs to do.
I have a prototype for a single button version for the IQ2/3 like this actually, adding knobs is a really good idea…

I don’t have an IQ4 to reverse engineer the protocol sadly, I assume it’s different.

Mexecutioner

Actually, Cascable (terrible app) does the IQ4 remote trigger thing for me.

I like Cascable, this weekend, I was tethering to it on my iPad via ethernet from my XT, and it worked flawlessly

cunim

I wonder if we could start a lasting thread for IQ4 control apps? Good to know that Cascable works when hard wired. Wi-Fi on a phone drops connection - constantly. I have asked P1 whether Cascable would work via USB C tether to an iphone 15. No one seems to know yet

This thread is not the place, but there is lots to discuss about the various portable apps

like Cascable, this weekend, I was tethering to it on my iPad via ethernet from my XT, and it worked flawlessly

Ray Harrison

I wonder if we could start a lasting thread for IQ4 control apps? Good to know that Cascable works when hard wired. Wi-Fi on a phone drops connection - constantly. I have asked P1 whether Cascable would work via USB C tether to an iphone 15. No one seems to know yet

This thread is not the place, but there is lots to discuss about the various portable apps
Like Mexecutioner I do like Cascable on the wired ethernet side for the IQ4. I keep poking at the Capture One folks to get the live view / camera control capabilities working, at least on the iPad. Camera control does work after a fashion on C1/iPad (ethernet and WiFi, not USB-C that I've been able to figure out) but do need that live view. Lots of folks on the various Facebook groups, etc are all after layers, curves, brushes and such for the iPad variant, and while that's nice, what I really want above everything is "tether parity" (including live view). Gimme.

Steve Hendrix

I should mention that anyone who has placed an order with us for a Fujifilm GFX 100 II camera and/or a Fujifilm 55mm/1.7 lens, will be guaranteed to receive one next week. And anyone who has not placed an order with us yet, but wishes to do so, they would also be guaranteed to receive a GFX 100 II body and/or 55mm/1.7 lens next week.

Fujifilm GFX 100 II 600023590

Fujifilm GF 55mm/1.7 WR Lens 600023613

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

Rand47

Now of course the pressing issue is when will we get an L-bracket and from who? :)
Well, I contacted Really Right Stuff and got the equivalent of “crickets.” ”We’re evaluating the demand… yadda, yadda…”
So, to me that means 6 months out if at all. As an interim move, ProMedia Gear’s universal L for gripped bodies will have to serve until / unless someone reputable comes out with a solid L-plate for the camera w/ grip.

RRS’s original GFX 100 L-plate is a thing of beauty, but I see RRS catering more to the shooting / marksmanship crowd and decreasing its interest in photography related gear that is camera specific.

Rand

SrMphoto

Well, I contacted Really Right Stuff and got the equivalent of “crickets.” ”We’re evaluating the demand… yadda, yadda…”
So, to me that means 6 months out if at all. As an interim move, ProMedia Gear’s universal L for gripped bodies will have to serve until / unless someone reputable comes out with a solid L-plate for the camera w/ grip.

RRS’s original GFX 100 L-plate is a thing of beauty, but I see RRS catering more to the shooting / marksmanship crowd and decreasing its interest in photography related gear that is camera specific.

Rand
I do not see any indication that RRS is neglecting the photography market. They keep producing plates for latest cameras. They seem to use customer feedback to judge the demand for an accessory. Anyone Interested should let them know. They even ask potentially customers for their preference in design (e.g. for M11).