The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

anyone

I always had good contacts with a technician at Linhof who was able to take care of special requests for me.
For example, he attached the shutter of a bellows unit to the lens plate.
Really cool adaptation! However, my limited experiences with V lenses shifted on a Flexbody were not all that positive - I ran out of image circle almost all the time.

P. Chong

earlier this year, I visited the historic site of Malacca in Malaysia. I took a photograph of this gentleman, who runs a very old goldsmith shop in the middle of town. Very dark shop. Hand held with Mamiya RB67 ProSD with Santa 1000 film, exposed at ISO 1000, processed at box speed with Ilford ID-11 for 15mins. Scanned with GFX 50S II with 18mm extension on a Lomography DigitaLiza. BTW, the Santa 1000 film has an extremely thin acetate base, making it quite difficult to load into my Patterson reel.

melaka0uncle.jpg

Last edited:

anyone

earlier this year, I visited the historic site in Malaysia in Malacca. I took a photograph of this gentleman, who runs a very old goldsmith shop in the middle of town. Very dark shop. Hand held with Mamiya RB67 ProSD with Santa 1000 film, exposed at ISO 1000, processed at box speed with Ilford ID-11 for 15mins. Scanned with GFX 50S II with 18mm extension on a Lomography DigitaLiza. BTW, the Santa 1000 film has an extremely thin acetate base, making it quite difficult to load into my Patterson reel.
Exciting to see a Santa film in the real world. I just ordered 30 rolls of their Santa 100 color negative film and am quite curious about the results. I discovered them recently when I checked current color film prices since I'm running out of 135-36 film. Fuji's price increase is incredible (sky high), as is the availability (none).

P. Chong

I wouldn’t buy another roll of Santa though. The scratches made during loading into the reel is apparent, though it increases the nostalgia factor. And it’s not that cheap either, at least not here in Singapore. I would rather shoot Shanghai GP3, though that’s an ISO 100 film. I have processed a roll of 35mm Santa which I have lying around somewhere, that’s even more difficult to reel as the film is longer, and has more opportunity to snag somewhere along the guide grooves of the Patterson reel.

Last edited:

anyone

Since I gave up on color processing myself I'm saved from that headache, although a thin base can also cause trouble for scanning. But as the order is already on its way I'll find out sooner or later.

MartinN

I NEVER again load a slightly wet Paterson reel. That condition is simply no-no. Now I have enough reels so I can always pick a completely dry one. My experince with thin sheet film is with the MOD54 and there minimum or no agitation should be done, othervise the sheets may get loose and stick to tank wall.

MartinN

Then I have some Ilford hardener for soft emulsion, but has not tested that thoroughly. But thin base (and thin emulsion) is the new high-res analog back ! Without those you can't get dpi :) (extraordinary).

P. Chong

I loaded the Santa on dry reels. It’s so thin it tends to bunch up and get stuck going into the wrong grooves of the reel. For 4x5 I ordered some Stearman SP-445 tanks. See how that goes. I will be attempting to do E6 and C41. Wish me luck.

MartinN

I loaded the Santa on dry reels. It’s so thin it tends to bunch up and get stuck going into the wrong grooves of the reel. For 4x5 I ordered some Stearman SP-445 tanks. See how that goes. I will be attempting to do E6 and C41. Wish me luck.
Good luck !

During Covid I thought I would try E-6 but the Shelf life of opened bottles is ridiculously short, and also the reuse of mixed solutions (without machine replenishment) is limited. So I concluded I will not do E-6. However, I will attempt C-41 with Compard Digibase solutions, because their divided stock components are several, all with extremely good shelf life. Then I learned in my prevoius runs with C-41 that I should be able to use mixed solution for about two months. Great or better than E-6.

MartinN

BTW I have stocked up on Digibase C-41 when it was available and here is some tips for reuse of used solutions https://www.maco-photo.de/files/images/C41_InstructionManual.pdf

I plan to save all mixed solutions for 6 months (except color developer) and the stabilizer is probably good for a year. That way of using/mixing is possible because I bought 1 liter bottles of most stocks. I will mix the color developer fresh every two months.

Last edited:

anyone

I decided for myself that while it's possible to develop E6 at home, the chemicals are too poisonous for home use. At least to my taste. Of course there are lots of people who develop color at home, but I won't be one of those. Also to follow the rigid timings and maintain temperature was not that relaxing :)

MartinN

I decided for myself that while it's possible to develop E6 at home, the chemicals are too poisonous for home use. At least to my taste. Of course there are lots of people who develop color at home, but I won't be one of those. Also to follow the rigid timings and maintain temperature was not that relaxing :)
Well, a good lab usually does everything adequately. I will bring my slide films to the shop, but if I get successful with C-41 that could be suited for me. The thingy is that I have to bring the films to the lab, workdays before 17 and wait and also fetch the films. With home dev I can work on weekends, and get results immediately. My lab has E-6 on tuesdays and thursdays only, and no 1 hour service on C-41, so a few days waiting minimum. The real deal-breaker or enabler is the shelf life of chemicals.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Pro tip: A steel Hewes reel solves the wet plastic reel problem. :)

P. Chong

That's why I decided not to do Santa anymore. Plus the film is made in Russia, and with the ongoing war in Ukraine, I guess avoiding it is probably best. I understand the makers have stopped the film and clearing stock while making some donations to the Ukraine war cause.

But I am afraid that problems with flimsy thin film backing could be worse ?
Lab-Box ? I have not tried that, could be a disaster.

dave.gt

But I am afraid that problems with flimsy thin film backing could be worse ?
Lab-Box ? I have not tried that, could be a disaster.
Flimsy film…hmmm. I have many B/W films I enjoy and there has never been a problem with using steel Hewes reels. (Do avoid any other steel reel though. And, if buying a used one be sure it is in like new shape with no evidence of damage from being dropped)

The Santa film is new to me, and sounds like a rebrand of something else so I can’t speak to that… but I have never had a problem with any other thin films in the past. Scanning, though, is personal. I spent all of 2022 matching my favorite B/W films with developers while calibrating individual exposure indexes, and I am delighted with each pairing.

That is why I now stick with my favorite films and developers … and the price is inconsequential in a way because I now prefer B/W film images over any digital image and I shoot/develop an average of 25 rolls of film annually. Not a huge amount but it is all I have time for (considering my 24/7/365 full time responsibilities).

Film is of course much more expensive, but now I prefer it. My monthly budget for film snd chemicals average $50-$75USD/month. Not bad even for my limited resources. Personal preference for B/W film includes the experience of shooting film gear, processing, changing film types for different looks, the craft involved, scanning, and final processing, etc. It is a different world entirely that somehow is much more enjoyable these days than 20 years ago.:)

I will look into the Santa film just for my own education.:)

MartinN

Film IS magic ! And getting things done by yourself is really an achivement, other than popping a memorycard. I am lucky to have bought film in the early 2000 and also a photoclubs stock, when they decided to go all digital :cool:. But I always get the question 'have you gone digital yet' in my nature photography club .....