The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Vince Lupo

Some more glass plate.

With the Gaumont Spido 9x12, one of my favourite cameras:

The Over the Shoulder Horn Player
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Not a perfect shot, but looks the part. Also with the Gaumont.

Gaumont Third Plate Rough
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jeanneret Monobloc 6x13 - if you’re going to buy one stereo/panoramic camera, this is the one to get. A classy, well-made camera.

Near the Tracks, Gettysburg
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

With the Philippe Tiranty Verographe 6x13:

Bloody Lane Panorama
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Vince Lupo

A bit of stereo, some colorized:

With the Lumiere Sterelux (I think!), Ilford Delta 100 120:

Burnside Bridge Stereo #2 Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

With the Macris-Boucher Nil Melior, Ilford Pan F 120:

Devil's Den Stereo1c
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Little Round Top Stereo5 Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Nil Melior with a Polyscop lens cell (don't ask!), 6x13 glass plate:

Polyscop3 Stereo Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Philippe Tiranty Verographe 6x13 glass plate:

Poffenberger Farm Stereo Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jeanneret Monobloc 6x13 glass plate:

The Cut Stereo
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

If you don't have a viewer and you want to get the stereo (3D) effect, best way to do it is to look at them on your phone. Hold your phone vertically so that the images are going side-to-side. Next, put your nose against your phone's screen and focus both eyes on the center (in between the two images), more or less cross-eyed. Slowly pull the phone away from your face, keeping your eyes focused on that middle. As you continue to pull the phone away from your face, you'll start to see three separate images -- two on the left/right periphery, and one in the middle that's in 3D (hopefully!). You may have to go back and forth a bit to get it to work. Once you see that third image in its entirety, you can adjust the sharpness by pulling the phone further away from your face or by bringing it closer. Do it once successfully and you'll have it down. Here again, it seems to work better when the images are smaller, hence my suggestion to try your phone held vertically. Let me know if you have any success!

BTW I'm very fortunate to live within relatively close proximity to a number of US Civil War battlefields, so this subject matter is very conducive to using these old cameras and shooting on glass plate. BTW did you know that most of the Civil War photos were originally shot as stereos?

Last edited: