The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

Ed Hurst

Taken as a test shot for my new GFX100S, using Pentax 645 55mm DFA lens and Fotodiox adaptor.

Rocks at Turimetta Beach in Sydney's north.

StarTrailsFromFiles_DSF0023-99_Step6sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

I am happy to report that the camera operated well with an external power source. I like the ability to manually set long exposure times in manual mode; not only does this avoid the need to time things in Bulb mode, it also makes those shutter speeds available for the continuous shooting; in this case, I used 1 minute files.
The camera won't allow 16-bit mode in continuous shooting mode, so the lit scene was shot on ISO640 for 15 minutes (16-bit). The sky was shot using ISO2000 using a stack of 1-minute files (14-bit).

I'll have to see what I can do to reduce the gaps in the trails. Perhaps a setting or two can be tweaked...

jng

Nice test, Ed! There appears to be a variety of colors in the star trails that isn't as evident or obvious in what I've seen in your other star trail images. Is this a matter of post-processing or is the new sensor revealing something that the older sensor wasn't?

John

Ed Hurst

Thanks! Some of my past images do show this effect (a lot depends on atmospheric conditions, light pollution and exposure used). But I do think this sensor seems to be showing it more readily, at least from my limited experience so far.

I have just done a test, trying different shutter and drive modes to see which achieves the smallest gap between frames. They all seem to be about the same in the end. Hmmm.... Any advice gladly received! (I have all unnecessary processing of the files turned off, by the way)

Shashin

Nice test, Ed! There appears to be a variety of colors in the star trails that isn't as evident or obvious in what I've seen in your other star trail images. Is this a matter of post-processing or is the new sensor revealing something that the older sensor wasn't?

John
Stars have different color temperatures. That is pretty normal.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I know. I know. I posted this in the Behind the Scenes thread. And in the Tripod thread. But gosh darnit, it belongs here, too!
Leica S(007), Hassy 300mm/4.5, Acratech panning head, Gitzo GT5533LS, some 6 stop filter, 12 seconds at f/22. About 2000 feet to the fountain, 2 miles to the buildings.

But seriously. Setting your aperture to f/22 is like sending out an invitation to all the dust in the tri-state area to take selfies on your sensor.

Matt

Last edited:

jng

I know. I know. I posted this in the Behind the Scenes thread. And in the Tripod thread. But gosh darnit, it belongs here, too!
Leica S(007), Hassy 300mm/4.5, Acratech panning head, Gitzo GT5533LS, some 6 stop filter, 12 seconds at f/22. About 2000 feet to the fountain, 2 miles to the buildings.

But seriously. Setting your aperture to f/22 is like sending out an invitation to all the dust in the tri-state area to take selfies on your sensor.

Matt
Nice. So is the Hassy H 300mm your gateway to the 350 Tele-SA? Just asking for a friend named Dante... :love:

John

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice. So is the Hassy H 300mm your gateway to the 350 Tele-SA? Just asking for a friend named Dante... :love:

John
Of course! Now that I’ve established that manual focus is the best way to use it, there is nothing stopping me. 😇 Wait... 93mm filter size? How does THAT work? Oh. there are step up rings to 95mm.

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Hi there Ed,

two questions for you: what adapter are you using and can you set the aperture ?

TIA

Best regards.
Hi there,
No problem! It's a Fotodiox adaptor. In the case of this lens, there's no physical aperture dial - but the adaptor does let me set it. There is a physical aperture ring on the adaptor, and it controls the lever on the lens. There are eight markings on the adaptor's aperture ring and one just has to work out how those increments (which obviously aren't labelled) correspond to the aperture range of the lens in question. Obviously, when using a lens that does have an aperture ring, you set it there and then the adaptor's ring just allows you to quickly close down to that level.

Once you get used to it, works well. Not suited to a fast shooting style, but since all my shots tend to be done slowly anyway, doesn't much matter.

I have had some indications (when using longer lenses on wide apertures) that the adaptor may not be holding the lens entirely square-on to the body (non-uniform focus across the scene) but I'm looking into this more closely to be sure. in any case, on the wide angle 28-45, used stopped down, there's no sign of this issue at all.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Knorp

Hi there,
No problem! It's a Fotodiox adaptor. In the case of this lens, there's no physical aperture dial - but the adaptor does let me set it. There is a physical aperture ring on the adaptor, and it controls the lever on the lens. There are eight markings on the adaptor's aperture ring and one just has to work out how those increments (which obviously aren't labelled) correspond to the aperture range of the lens in question. Obviously, when using a lens that does have an aperture ring, you set it there and then the adaptor's ring just allows you to quickly close down to that level.

Once you get used to it, works well. Not suited to a fast shooting style, but since all my shots tend to be done slowly anyway, doesn't much matter.

I have had some indications (when using longer lenses on wide apertures) that the adaptor may not be holding the lens entirely square-on to the body (non-uniform focus across the scene) but I'm looking into this more closely to be sure. in any case, on the wide angle 28-45, used stopped down, there's no sign of this issue at all.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Thank you, Ed. That sure helps. Frankly I’m torn between this wide zoom Pentax or the upcoming wide zoom Fuji.
In the meantime I’ll admire your and Michiel Schierbeek‘s images with the Pentax … :)

All the best.