The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

dave.gt

Cicadas... cool!:):):)

We are in the first flush of the season in Linda's Garden. I have been busy shooting but processing has taken a back seat. Actually a flat surface so I can rest my back, not much time or energy left for processing lately.

Here are several from last night.

Queen Elizabeth Hybrid Tea roses.

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
Queen Elizabeth by Leica S May 2021 8x8.jpg

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

sixby45

I was fortunate to sell the following image in a 5 foot by 20 foot print. The original image was photographed last year about this time except it was a single exposure with the 40-80 lens cropped to fit the clients space. I got the bright idea I would simply photograph it again and stitch using the 240mm exposures. Since the client had already approved a proof I did my best to get the same "look" using the same sky. Easy in my mind but not so much in real life. Anyway, I thought it turned out surprising close to the original so I think I am good to go.

Turned out to be six exposures with the 240 with almost not crop from the bottom. Went from 12,000 pixels wide to 38,000 so the difference in detail should be noticable.

XFII/IQ4150 240mm six shot stitch:
View attachment 185225

Before sunrise it looked pretty nice as well (same 6 shots with the 240mm with no crop). I often photograph the skies separately from my main subject and this was no exception. It's difficult to catch the right light on the subject and the sky at the same time. It also makes it easy to position the sky as pleasing as possible.

View attachment 185224

I have permission to enter the ranch but further down the hill is not as good a view for this scene.

View attachment 185226

Finally here is the installation mockup and will the largest I have done.

View attachment 185227
Wow ! Super cool and LOVE that installation ;) Nice work!

P. Chong

does the on lens IS on the Canon work with the GFX/Kipon?

Trying some of my existing wide angle lenses on the GFX 100s. First up is the Canon 16-35 f/4 L via a Kipon EF-GFX AF adapter.

Interior shot at 20mm, handheld IBIS on but OIS on lens turned off.

Outdoor shots at both 20mm and

jng

Super Flower Blood Moon
P05_26_2021_0955_8000x6000_1540-30-denoise-FrameShop.jpg
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | Zeiss 350 Tele-Superachromat + APO 1.4XE | f/8 | 0.5s | ISO 3200​

I managed to drag myself out of bed at 4:00 AM to photograph the eclipse of May's Super Flower Moon. The originally intended location is just 5 minutes from my house, so while cutting it close I thought I'd get there in time to catch the end of the total eclipse at 4:25 AM. Things did not exactly go according to plan, however. This image was captured some minutes after totality, due to the policeman who was seemingly waiting for us to shoo us away from my go-to spot for photographing such celestial events above the San Francisco Bay. This required some quick thinking while I was still basically asleep. Fortunately I remembered another good spot nearby so was able to set up in time to catch the event.

I later learned that the policeman followed another photographer down the hill to make sure he wouldn't sneak back up, so I'm glad that we left in the other direction! I'm generally very careful never to tresspass or be where I'm not supposed to be so was a bit surprised by this morning's welcoming committee!

This image is from a 48 Mp crop - it seems that 490mm of focal length doesn't go as far as it used to these days!

John

scho

does the on lens IS on the Canon work with the GFX/Kipon?
Yes, the lens OIS seems to work, but caused AF errors in several shots and sometimes would not allow AF at all. There is also heavy corner vignetting at focal lengths above 30mm and below 20mm in full frame mode. I used 35mm auto crop mode for the shots posted above.

Last edited:

scho

Two more wide angle lens test shots on the GFX 100s.

Contax C/Y 28/2.8 Distagon with Fotodiox C/Y-GFX dumb adapter Full frame mode and not too much vignetting.

Canon 24/3.5 L TSE II about 1.5 degrees tilt, f/11 35mm mode auto crop Kipon EF-GFX AF adapter.