The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Haag

Latest visit to the great wall, again lots of push back from local red bands, we still managed to reach the wall and enjoyed well 5 hours on it.
They are all great, but I particularly love the second one, thanks for sharing!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Ah yes! I agree with you. And yet, defining terms like always, or any number of universal/absolute words would be a long discussion. Nature has a way of being around much longer than humans, so the other way to look at it is to ask if humans will be around and then nature will reclaim. A very long-term/dim perspective for sure. Lol…

It is indeed a struggle to be positive, whether as a photographer who appreciates the natural environment like yourself, or the somewhat disillusioned environmental/city planner that I was in a former life.

But what choice do we have but to be as positive as possible. Like your amazing images of all the places you have photographed, what can you do but what you are called/compelled to do? It is your appreciation and expression of what you see and hope will be for the future that is important. It is personal but also necessary for us to share and hope for the best.

For me, in the midst of more than the last decade, I have seen too much and been relentlessly active in being a 24/7/365 sole caregiver, with endless responsibilities. And yet, while isolated all these years dealing with life or death matters, the beauty I see in the rose garden has given me much solace and I have to capture and share with others no matter how banal. If I did not have the simple positive experiences of life as we have been given, all would have been lost and done with in a short time.

Our environment, whether personal space, local, or global, is the same way. We are all caregivers/caretakers. We are also connected to each other. As the Sun rises each morning, and splits the night, chasing the shadows away, I am grateful to be a witness of the beauty revealed around me. Sometimes it is hard to find. Really hard.

Perhaps that is why I hang around on this forum. You and so many others inspire me to carry on. We all help each other and I think sometimes I am overdrawn in the inspiration account, and need to increase my deposits into yours!

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing your concern. I have similar ones constantly. We just do what we can do, right?

Take good care…:):):)
First, thank you for "amazing images" comment. You flatter me!

Second, I think everything you said is correct, especially with respect simple positive experiences. Those are what feed my optimism - and the fact that I'm not alone in my concerns.

If it were practical, I'd love to sit down with you and have a conversation. Perhaps one day.

dave.gt

First, thank you for "amazing images" comment. You flatter me!

Second, I think everything you said is correct, especially with respect simple positive experiences. Those are what feed my optimism - and the fact that I'm not alone in my concerns.

If it were practical, I'd love to sit down with you and have a conversation. Perhaps one day.
Yes! Perhaps we will, that is something I would enjoy immensely.:):):)

I am absolutely certain I will learn much from you and that is one of the things that fire my passion for photography and so many interests.

We shall see and I hope we will meet up some day.(y)

Ed Hurst

Until 2013, Sydney had a monorail line running in a single loop between Darling Harbour and parts of the central business district. It was built in association with Australia's bicentennial celebrations in 1988 to act as part of the tourist attractions of the time, rather than as a serious part of the city's transport infrastructure. It was controversial even when it was built, as it arguably blighted the view from/to city buildings and took up space in some of the roads. It consisted of a single track only, meaning that trains could travel only in one direction around the circuit - so it might be useful for some journeys but if you wanted to go a short way in the other direction, you would have to do a near-full circuit just to get there. In the end, it wasn't used much, except for a limited number of sight-seeing jaunts and it was often quicker to walk. It was closed in 2013 and quickly demolished, in some places to be replaced by the much more effective (but still controversial) light rail system; in other places, its departure was apparently motivated by well-connected developers' desires to build new towers.

Why do I mention this? Well, back in 2012/13, I recorded the line heavily in its dying days (and its actual demolition). Little did I realise that nine years later, I would discover one of the old monorail vehicles mouldering away in a back yard no more than 10 minutes drive from where I live, in Sydney's Northern Beaches (a few miles away from where it used to operate). All this time, I had no idea it was even there - as it's invisible from any road - and I found it quite by chance.

So here is the vehicle today...

Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45 lens

And here is the very same vehicle in use back in 2013...

Pentax 645D with 35mm A lens

645D with 45-85mm DA lens @ 45mm

645D with 55mm DFA lens

645D with 67 75mm f2.8AL lens (the vintage Manly ferry, South Steyne, was parked in Darling Harbour at the time - it's now been moved to a much less appealing location, where it's largely inaccessible; its restoration hasn't proceeded, so one has to worry for its future)

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Last Friday night saw some dramatic storm activity over Sydney...

Here's a long exposure sequence, shot over a few hours. Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 32mm.

And a much shorter sequence, shot on Pentax 645Z with 55mm DFA lens

vjbelle

From a trip to China in 2009. We had just moved on from the Yellow Mountains to a resort area and had the hotel arrange a driver to take us to various locations to photograph. This was in a very old area and we were free to roam about and photograph anything.

P45, HC80.

Victor B.

CF007899_BW1.jpg

Greg Haag

Last Friday night saw some dramatic storm activity over Sydney...

Here's a long exposure sequence, shot over a few hours. Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 32mm.

And a much shorter sequence, shot on Pentax 645Z with 55mm DFA lens
Wow Ed, those are fantastic captures!

Status
Not open for further replies.