The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images 2023

jlancasterd

The last of the 'black diamonds' – the sole remaining mine that was producing Welsh steam coal was shut down in November on environmental grounds. These wagons contain what is probably the final delivery to the Ffestiniog Railway. From now on we will be using less calorific imported coal (possibly from as far away as Azerbaijan) mixed with 'alternative' fuels. Zf with 24-70 f4 S lens

Black diamonds mono.jpg

Knorp

Well, from an environmental perspective I suppose it makes sense to close the mine, but from a historical steam train perspective it's pretty devastating.

jlancasterd

Well, from an environmental perspective I suppose it makes sense to close the mine, but from a historical steam train perspective it's pretty devastating.
Whether it makes sense from an environmental perspective or not depends very much on what you factor in. Buying coal from Azerbaijan means that the amount of fuel expended in the delivery process is greatly increased. Our locomotives also burn a significantly greater amount of Azerbaijan coal than they do of Welsh steam coal to do the same amount of work – we've had to fit 'greedy boards' to the bunkers on the double Fairlies to ensure that they can carry enough for a round trip. Experiments are continuing with 'alternative' fuels involving byproducts from the food industry such as olive stones and compressed oilseed rape residues, but there are problems with both storage and low calorific values. We could burn oil fuels (including waste cooking oil) but prices are far too high at present.

jlancasterd

This is as close to perfect as I would ever aspire to come. Makes me wonder if I should buy a D500 for photography and a camcorder or a Blackmagic for video. I have for a while suspected that the do-it-all mirrorless cameras are diverting my focus away from the core values of photography.
I for one would have been happy for the Zf to have been fully 'retro' – configured for those of us who don't do video.

Swissblad

This is as close to perfect as I would ever aspire to come. Makes me wonder if I should buy a D500 for photography and a camcorder or a Blackmagic for video. I have for a while suspected that the do-it-all mirrorless cameras are diverting my focus away from the core values of photography.
Thank you for the kind comment, Jorgen - while we have finally embraced Nikon mirrorless (Z9 & Z8) - I still cherish the simple joy I get from using the D500 - its been my go to camera for the past few years - and it remains a pleasure to use.

Grace on Senja by SB Portrait Photography, on Flickr

Nikon D500 & Nikkor 70-200mm f4 - our Irish Setter lass enjoying a beach outing on Senja ;)