The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images 2023

Darin Marcus

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a great 2024 to all!

Given the lack of clarity about this forum’s future, I decided not to wait any longer, so I am moving to Photography Life (same account name and avatar). I will stop participating here beginning January 1st.

I thought a few times about MF, but I cannot justify that financially for my hobby.
I really appreciate the years spent here (the entire forum, not just the Nikon section) - you are a group of talented photographers, and I enjoyed seeing your photos and reading your feedback.

Thank you all for everything- I wish you the very best!

Last edited:

Swissblad

Given the lack of clarity about this forum’s future, I decided not to wait any longer, so I am moving to Photography Life (same account name and avatar). I will stop participating here beginning January 1st.

I thought a few times about MF, but I cannot justify that financially for my hobby.
I really appreciate the years spent here (the entire forum, not just the Nikon section) - you are a group of talented photographers, and I enjoyed seeing your photos and reading your feedback.

That's a true pity Darin - and a very sad loss. :cry:

Knorp

C'mon Darin, there's only one thing in life that's clear.
But up till then and while this 'Changes coming' is still undecided, I can't see a reason to abandon ship right now.
So just hang on a little longer till the final curtains are there.
Besides you didn't mention January 1st of what year ... ;)

Anyway, I'm sad to see you go, but I'm hoping you find a U-turn

Photon42

Oh noo :eek:. Just buy an old Leica S2 with the 70 or any of the adapters and a vintage lens :cool: 🙈

pegelli

Happy Holidays for you too Darin, and a splendid 2024.

It's a pity to see you go, especially since it's not decided yet to cut off the smaller formats and hopefully they will stay an integral part of GetDPI.
But if they get cut off I might see you back on Photography Life, who knows. Anyway, all the best whatever you do!

Darin Marcus

Thank you all very much for your comments - one more proof that what sets GetDPI apart are its members!

It was a hard decision to make, but I did not want to invest more time and energy in something that can go away soon after. Sometimes, bad news is better than no news at all ;)

2024 looks like a great year for photography (new interesting cameras and lenses will be released) - may we all get to enjoy it to the fullest!

jlancasterd

Zf, Nikkor 24-70/4 S

Porthmadog harbour entrance at low tide. The stone ramp in the foreground is the site of one of the small shipyards that built around 300 sailing vessels – including around 30 'Western Ocean Yachts' – few of which were much over 200 tons – that carried the roofing slates quarried at Blaenau Ffestiniog to all corners of the world.

Harbour entrance 07-01-24.jpg

Last edited:

Thorkil

Moods from Tvende Hus a bit north from Copenhagen

Nikon Z7 with z14-24 at iso 1800 1/80 f5.6 14mm C1pro

Nikon Z7 with z24-200 at iso 2800 1/80 f4 24mm C1pro

Nikon Z7 with z14-24 at iso 2000 1/80 f5.6 14mm C1pro

Nikon Z7 with z14-24 at iso 2500 1/80 f4 14mm C1pro

Nikon Z7 with z14-24 at iso 1250 1/80 f5.6 14mm C1pro

Nikon Z7 with z14-24 at iso 2200 1/80 f4 14mm C1pro

Thorkil

Thorkil

Zf, Nikkor 24-70/4 S

Porthmadog harbour entrance at low tide. The stone ramp in the foreground is the site of one of the small shipyards that built around 300 sailing vessels – including around 30 'Western Ocean Yachts' – few of which were much over 200 tons – that carried the roofing slates quarried at Blaenau Ffestiniog to all corners of the world.

View attachment 209625
When I was young architect and was renovating properties in old parts of Copenhagen I used Porthmadog roofing slates, considered to be the best available in the world. No one else came near. Unfortunately the mine ran out of sufficient slate material
KR Thorkil

jlancasterd

When I was young architect and was renovating properties in old parts of Copenhagen I used Porthmadog roofing slates, considered to be the best available in the world. No one else came near. Unfortunately the mine ran out of sufficient slate material
KR Thorkil
Thorkil

Do you know in which Blaenau quarry the slates you were using were produced? There were over 30 separate quarries at the peak (1890s) but latterly (1960's to date) only three major producers (Oakeley, Maenofferen and Llechwedd). Llechwedd is still producing on a small scale, but most output now comes from Manod, formerly an underground working that was used during WW2 to store paintings evacuated from the national galleries in London, which was reopened as a quarry 20-30 years ago and 'untopped' to become an open pit.

Before WW1 the major european market for Blaenau slates was Hamburg, but Blaenau didn't get orders for replacements after the RAF broke most of them in WW2…