The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 100 questions

jecxz

Jack, I have to agree with Don (and same here I've been restricted travelwise due to Covid19). I got on board with the GFX100 and it is incredible. However, frankly, I am struggling with all of the options. I still actively use my H3DII39 and I love its simplicity. I am trying to mimic that simplicity with the GFX100 while taking advantage of the incredible features I never had before. For me it's been a steep learning curve.

I did a multi-week shoot in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine with side by side setups. The GFX100 allowed me to work well past sunset and the details in the shadows... wow.

I have to acclimate to new software too, probably no one here has that issue. I'll probably sign up for C1 (Phocus has been all I've needed).

I was working with it yesterday, forcing myself not to reach for my H and several things I really like, the zoom in focus check in the viewfinder is wonderful. Also, the ability to tilt out the LCD and compose is great (I know that's probably a simple feature). Shooting in the snow did give me some issues with flickering in the electronic viewfinder, because it's constantly trying to give me exposure - that can turned off, however it's nice to have.

I purchased the HC lens adapter and it works very well. I also picked up the Metabones adapter for my Canon lenses, nice! I also invested in some of the GFX lenses and they are top quality.

I have been wondering for years how long my ancient Hasselblad system will last and its been a tank. I wished there was an affordable upgrade path to 100mp with H, but I digress. I will continue to use it along side the new GFX.

Shout out to Peter for listening to my complaints and lamenting while figuring out which button does what. Last comment, thank heavens I can reassign the GFX buttons!

Be safe and Happy Holidays.

20201221_004527.jpg

20201221_004442.jpg

A Fuji GFX system is on my "want" list; ideally probably a GFX100 plus a 50R and a couple lenses. Lately, I've seen several very low use GFX 100's coming up for sale at attractive prices. My question is it seems like the ultimate MF platform, so I'm wondering at the recent slew of sales?

Paul2660

Looks like the price point for the GFX 100s will possibly be 5,999.00. Per Fuji rumors who tends to know a lot in advance. Amazing price point if that turns out to be true. And very painful for the GFX100 owner considering resale.

Paul C

jecxz

Looks like the price point for the GFX 100s will possibly be 5,999.00. Per Fuji rumors who tends to know a lot in advance. Amazing price point if that turns out to be true. And very painful for the GFX100 owner considering resale.

Paul C
Please provide a link to this; thank you in advance!

tcdeveau

The rumored price point of the GFX100s is definitely amazing if it turns out to be true. Curious how the specs will stack up to the GFX100., but at $6k it should drive down prices of the GFX100 on the second hand market if the 100s isn't one's cup of tea. They've got an announcement date set for January 27th, so maybe we'll see it announced along with the 80mm 1.7.

Agree that whoever runs FujiRumors is well-sourced and rarely turns out to be wrong. I think he did a summary recently of 2020 rumors and only 4 of 60-70+ were wrong or something like that.

Knorp

A very attractive price - and I might be interested - except - who needs 100mpx?
For Walkies and GetDPI (;)) the 100mpx is probably just overkill, but but but ...

And keep it mind: the Fujifilm GFX100S has not only IBIS, but also a highly modern state of the art BSI 100 megapixel sensor with phase detection pixels all over the sensor, whereas the Fujifilm GFX50S uses an older contrast detect AF only and non BSI sensor.

Shashin

A very attractive price - and I might be interested - except - who needs 100mpx?
That sentiment is really not aligned with the spirit of GetDPI. 😖 Come on, Louis, get with the program! ;)

I certainly see the appeal. but I also know myself a bit better than that. While I want a certain quality in my work, I also need to consider other aspects of the process of photography. I shoot a lot more with my X Pro2s than my Pentax 645D simply because I can a) carry my Fuji X system better and b) it is more fun to use. And given that I don't really enjoy making huge exhibition prints (i.e. 60" or so), the benefits of larger, higher-resolution formats diminish. And to be honest, I am not much of a camera buyer. I prefer to get a camera and work with it over a long period of time. I firmly believe in getting the best camera for your needs because you can actually use it for a long time--that is the real investment in equipment (not its resale value).

Technically speaking, my 645D is pretty long in the tooth, but I doubt you are going to see any significant difference with newer cameras in large exhibition prints. True newer cameras are better at high ISO, but I don't shoot the 645D at high ISO. Newer cameras have better DR, but the 645D DR has not prevented me from taking great images. The 40" print I have on my wall does not even show all the detail in the 645D file, so the added resolution does not give me much. I got the X Pro2 for smaller work. After making 40" test prints (a size I am not likely to print at with the X Pro files), I found I could get really good results at that size. Using a host of different cameras and making exhibition prints from them, I have found that 20-50MP images the sweet spot where they give you enough resolution to print large without the storage and processing capacity needed for larger files. (That is not to say I don't like going big--I made a 3.5 x 12 foot panorama from stitched 645D files and it was absolutely delightful. I also printed a student pano around the same size from an APS-C camera that was equally impressive.)

Now Jack does different work than I do. I can see the appeal of the GXF100 cameras for him.

Sorry if this is off topic.

gurtch

A little of topic: I am a non-pro, and senior citizen. The 50R is fabulous, as I do make big prints. What I would really like to see is a 50R size and weight body with IBIS. I also use a Sony A7RIV and really love it's stabilization, which I miss on the 50R. 100MP is over kill or me, but 50MP definitely is not.
Dave in NJ

biglouis

A little of topic: I am a non-pro, and senior citizen. The 50R is fabulous, as I do make big prints. What I would really like to see is a 50R size and weight body with IBIS. I also use a Sony A7RIV and really love it's stabilization, which I miss on the 50R. 100MP is over kill or me, but 50MP definitely is not.
Dave in NJ
Dave, I agree to a large extent. I would love to have a fully articulating screen on the 50R (like the 50S) and IBIS (although my recently acquired 45-100 has OIS which works brilliantly) but 50mpx is more than enough for me. That said, if the 100S does have those features and I feel at some point the need for it I could see part exchanging the 50R.

LouisB