The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX focal length gap ...

dchew

Wayne,
I had my Canon 90ts in Bluff. John Lytton tested it vs. one of his modern lenses (I forgot which one) and felt it performed admirably. From what I remember using it several years ago, it was sharp but lacked the contrast of modern designs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. A bit of clarity can fix that these days.

Dave

Don Libby

Wayne, the 32-64 is equivalent to the 40-80 after taking in account the crop factor. Also, I had a chance to try out the Cambo/Canon/Fuji adaptor while in Bluff using the 17mm and was impressed with the lens; no so much with the adaptor. I reason I didn't follow through with the adaptor was the low light difficult to see in bright sunlight of the LCD screen on it.

Right now I have the 32-64, 64, 120 with the 23 on order. What I'd like to see or have is a longer lens than the 120 which is equivalent to 95mm somewhere in the neighborhood of 135-150 which would mean maybe around 200; might look at an older Mamiya 200....

So when did you get the GFX?

Don

PSon

Don, I use the Fujifilm EVF-TL1 EVF Tilt adapter instead of the LCD with great success outdoor. It may and may not be a solution for you and it is rather an expensive adapter to tilt your prism.

PSon

Wayne, If the 120mm is the lens you like on your IQ3100 (120mm x 0.62 = 74.4mm), then the 90mm (90mm x 0.79 = 71.1mm) or the 100mm (100mm x 0.79 = 79mm) lens are the options since there is no 95mm (95mm x 0.79 = 75.05mm) lens. In this case I would go with the Hasselblad "Fujinon" 100mm F2.2 HC or the Hasselblad V Carl Zeiss Planar T* 100mm CFi or CF (much cheaper) lens. These are retrofocus medium format lens with large enough image circle so you are safe from corner smearing. In addition, the Hasselblad V Carl Zeiss Planar T* 100mm CFi or CF lens is known to have minimum to no distortion.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Don, I use the Fujifilm EVF-TL1 EVF Tilt adapter instead of the LCD with great success outdoor. It may and may not be a solution for you and it is rather an expensive adapter to tilt your prism.
The issue I had was with the Combo adaptors LCD. In bright daylight I found it unreadable when changing the f/stop. I had to find dark shade to read it to change. I've had no issues with either the viewfinder or LCD on the GFX.

Don

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
What I'd like to see or have is a longer lens than the 120 which is equivalent to 95mm somewhere in the neighborhood of 135-150 which would mean maybe around 200; might look at an older Mamiya 200....

So when did you get the GFX?

Don
I got the GFX about a week ago. Trying to have a very light option that’s a little more “MF” than my a7r2.

I’ve done some very preliminary testing of the HC 210, appears to be a possible solution. Middle was decently sharp even with the 1.7x. I’ll post some results from it when I get a little time.

Paul2660

Another idea on longer is rhe Mamiya APO 200mm. Extremely sharp a bit less contrast than newer lenses. But it's small and light. I use it with the Fotodiox adapter which has a tripod foot built in.

Paul Caldwell

jng

Wayne, if you listen to everyone here you'll need a separate bag just to carry all the adapters.:p

John

PSon

Wayne, if you listen to everyone here you'll need a separate bag just to carry all the adapters.:p

John
This is why I keep suggesting to Wayne to get the Hasselblad "Fujinon" 100mm F2.2 HC lens since he already owns the Fuji adapter; there is no need to get anymore adapter.

PSon

The issue I had was with the Combo adaptors LCD. In bright daylight I found it unreadable when changing the f/stop. I had to find dark shade to read it to change. I've had no issues with either the viewfinder or LCD on the GFX.

Don
Don, Cambo seems to make 3 different Canon EF lens mount adapters (Actus, Fuji GFX, and WRS). I got the WRE-CA adapter which I have been using and yes the LCD could have been better. However, I find the LCD to be useable but more importantly I believe that this adapter is quite unique in that I don't need a camera body to control the Canon and other lens' aperture. For this very reason, it opens the door for me to use other electronic lens. Below is an example of the Contax 645 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 80mm F2.0 lens with the IQ3100. I prefer the Cambo adapter to be in WRS mount (WRE-CA) because no future smart adapter will be able to replace it differently. In the case of the Fuji GFX-50s adapter mount, I believe that other parties will be able to make an electronic adapter where the camera can control the aperture of the Canon EF lens. Therefore, you can totally bypass the LCD screen on the Cambo adapter and solve your problem.

bensonga

Another idea on longer is rhe Mamiya APO 200mm. Extremely sharp a bit less contrast than newer lenses. But it's small and light. I use it with the Fotodiox adapter which has a tripod foot built in.

Paul Caldwell
Hi Paul. Have you posted any photos shot with the GFX and Mamiya 200 APO on GetDPI yet? I would really like to see some. I picked up a mint copy of this lens a few weeks ago, but I don't have a GFX to try it on.

Gary

vonalpen

My solution for filling that particular gap ist the Leica-M APO-Summicron 2/90mm.
I use it with the adapter from fotodiox, it works really well: At f2 there's obvious vignetting, the corners are very soft. But as you stop down, IQ improves dramatically, at f8 it's great all the way into the corners, almost as good as the stellar GF 4/120mm.
The other Leica lenses I own and tried simply don't work: 21mm, 24mm and 35mm all show strong vignetting, the image circle is simply too small. IQ doesn't impress even stopped down to f8 or f11.
It's the same problem as with the Sony A7RII: The wide lenses don't work with those sensors, the thickness and / or placement of the cover glass plays a big role here.
The leica lenses seem tiny on the GFX.
I also use other lenses on the GFX: The Mamiya 645 2,8/150mm and 2,8/200mm APO are fantastic, they are also relatively compact.
As all those lenses and the adapters are purely mechanical, there's no EXIF information, LR simply always shows f1,0.
At least you can dial in the focal length, hidden in the menu of the GFX.
I got the GF 4/23mm and the GF 2,8/45mm on order, so together with the 32-64mm, my setup will be complete.

Best

Jost

Attachments