The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gx9

hot

GX85, GX9, GX8 size compare

...for big hands, for biy eyes ...

Last edited:

Knorp

This comparison makes it pretty clear Panasonic made a mistake: they should have called it the GX90 ...
So here's hope for a future true GX9.

drofnad

Re: GX85, GX9, GX8 size compare

Vice the GX80/5, put in the GX7's profile which has a much nicer grip, IMO, and wish that had been restored vs. the little bump they continue.
http://camerasize.com/compare/#472,629

Btw, I find those reviewers who opine at how "solid" something "feels" --all that "better build" BS-- almost comical :: just tie a brick to it, then! (What else are they feeling but weight?)

And I also would like the body to be weatherized to some extent.
(And so the G no-X 85 looks more attractive, at the price.)

)-:

biglouis

Yes, it is clear to me Panasonic want to minimise the GX line (so no GX90, just a 'GX9').

But I can't blame Panasonic and to be honest I really think the G9 is a no brainer for serious photographers. I always though the GX8 was nice ergonomically but the G9 is better and the zenith of usability.

I would recommend the GX9 to owners of P&S who want to step up to an interchangeable lens system in an affordable way. But if you own a GX8 and want to upgrade - and I speak as someone who likes the rangefinder form factor - you cannot do better than the G9 (unless you are an Olympus owner and want to go up that upgrade path).

Just my two cents

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Don't be surprised if I get one of these. Image quality is probably on par with the G9, and although it's easy to find things that I would prefer that it did have, it does tick many of the right boxes, particularly for someone who has considered the GX85 off an on for a long time. With the large eyecup and possibly the grip, ergonomics might actually become quite good.

Time will show :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One thought that struck me regarding why Pansonic has apparently decided to join the GX8 and GX85 replacement into one model:

If the GX9 had been a natural progression from the GX8, many would have expected performance close to that of the G9. The GX8 was after all their previous still oriented top model. Those expectations would also include video. But, getting rid of heat is much more difficult in a small camera body than a large one, and 4K6p and 1080p180 with bit rates of 150mps generate a lot of heat. By launching a cheaper, smaller camera, expectations are lower, and nobody will ask for super high tech video specs. Add to that the fact that they probably have many more GX85 customers than GX8 customers, most of whom are probably thrilled by this new camera.

I look very much forward to trying this out, with the extra grip and the 100-300mm II that I ordered today :D

Knorp

One thought that struck me regarding why Pansonic has apparently decided to join the GX8 and GX85 replacement into one model:

If the GX9 had been a natural progression from the GX8, many would have expected performance close to that of the G9. The GX8 was after all their previous still oriented top model. Those expectations would also include video. But, getting rid of heat is much more difficult in a small camera body than a large one, and 4K6p and 1080p180 with bit rates of 150mps generate a lot of heat. By launching a cheaper, smaller camera, expectations are lower, and nobody will ask for super high tech video specs. Add to that the fact that they probably have many more GX85 customers than GX8 customers, most of whom are probably thrilled by this new camera.

I look very much forward to trying this out, with the extra grip and the 100-300mm II that I ordered today :D
Jørgen, you're such a gear head ... :rolleyes:
What about the environment, hey ?!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jørgen, you're such a gear head ... :rolleyes:
What about the environment, hey ?!
I can assure you that the only cameras I've bought new the last 10 years are the GH1 and the GM5. The GX9 will be the third. The old GH1 is actually still being used by one of my assistants to document stuff at work :)

The reason for the 100-300mm is that two Nikkor lenses, 20 and 30 years old, have said thank you and goodbye recently. The shop has offered to make an attempt to rescue them, but I need a long lens on Wednesday next week. Instead of buying a 1,200g Sigma for a Nikon body, I buy a 520g Panasonic. I think like that :loco:

Ha! :lecture:

Seascape

It is interesting how no one in this thread talks about a trade and purchase that was very interesting to me.

I love the size, unobtrusive look (black of course), and superb file performance of what everybody considers a cheap P&S......a GM1 that I really liked, or for some people a GM5 with the added display.

Yes the GX850 does not have a viewfinder (but 4K video BTW).
Being a traditional Leica owner, looking at electronic display's don't cut it for me.....not to mention there will be a better version anytime they obsolete that display.
My Leica M4 will be with me forever and I just love it, something I have owned since 1974 !!

So when (the better, but I believe now discontinued GX850 was available) some things that really caught my attention related to it's features compared to the GM1 and GM5...... the REMOVAL of the AA filter.
As a RAW only shooter - that was VERY interesting to me !!

So I did a GM1 trade and a GX850 purchase that was welcomed by the store for a kit that is not selling well.
No one seems too interested in a SMALL P&S that shoots wonderful images !!

My walk-around kit consists of the GX850, Leica 15mm and Olympus 45mm (both high end and high speed, compact lenses).......a VERY nice P&S performance kit :)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It is interesting how no one in this thread talks about a trade and purchase that was very interesting to me.

I love the size, unobtrusive look (black of course), and superb file performance of what everybody considers a cheap P&S......a GM1 that I really liked, or for some people a GM5 with the added display.

Yes the GX850 does not have a viewfinder (but 4K video BTW).
Being a traditional Leica owner, looking at electronic display's don't cut it for me.....not to mention there will be a better version anytime they obsolete that display.
My Leica M4 will be with me forever and I just love it, something I have owned since 1974 !!

So when (the better, but I believe now discontinued GX850 was available) some things that really caught my attention related to it's features compared to the GM1 and GM5...... the REMOVAL of the AA filter.
As a RAW only shooter - that was VERY interesting to me !!

So I did a GM1 trade and a GX850 purchase that was welcomed by the store for a kit that is not selling well.
No one seems too interested in a SMALL P&S that shoots wonderful images !!

My walk-around kit consists of the GX850, Leica 15mm and Olympus 45mm (both high end and high speed, compact lenses).......a VERY nice P&S performance kit :)
The reason why I haven't bought it (yet) is ergonomics. I might still give it a go though.

Seascape

The reason why I haven't bought it (yet) is ergonomics. I might still give it a go though.
I should mention that another reason why the GM1 was limiting to me was the fact that although it was small, unassuming, and had very good performance, if you wanted the BEST results from the GM1 holding it steady (without a tripod) was difficult.
The 12 - 32 lens doesn't help in that regard as the total kit is sooo LIGHT !!

So the heavier GX850 body, with either the 15mm or 45mm is a more substantial package than the GM1 - even slightly larger.

I also added a compact Arca Swiss style plate, permanently attached to the camera base for when I'm shooting High Res imaging from a tripod.
While not increasing the actual size of the complete camera to any great degree, it does increase the steadiness of hand held shooting !!

So for AA less shooting, the greater steadiness helps !!

YMMV !!

Last edited:

ggibson

I would really love for Panasonic to come out with a GM successor. I really liked those cameras, and considered buying one many times. I suspect they're in a tough market position though between 1" sensor compacts and larger, more functional and ergonomic m4/3 cameras (or other mirrorless). You can see with the used prices though, they're quite unique--selling for $250-400 for just the bodies whereas newer larger m4/3 cameras with supposedly better tech are cheaper.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would really love for Panasonic to come out with a GM successor. I really liked those cameras, and considered buying one many times. I suspect they're in a tough market position though between 1" sensor compacts and larger, more functional and ergonomic m4/3 cameras (or other mirrorless). You can see with the used prices though, they're quite unique--selling for $250-400 for just the bodies whereas newer larger m4/3 cameras with supposedly better tech are cheaper.
Here in Asia, used GM5 bodies now often sell for $5-600 :(

raist3d

I will forever mourn the lack of a GM7/GM9.

This is all it takes:
- same Venus engine of the GX850/GX9
- new JPEG color of the GX9/G9
- The new 20 MP sensor
- no AA filter
- DFD level of the GX9
- skip 4k recording if the size is a heat engineering challenge
- built in RAW converter (bring everything the GX850/GX9 have that fits)
- perhaps one more function button at the top, in the middle of the wheel for AF/CF/MF

Can be even made of plastic as long as it has the image quality of the GX9.

Done. That's what I really wanted.

- Ricardo

drofnad

If the GX9 had been a natural progression from the GX8, many would have expected performance close to that of the G9. The GX8 was after all their previous still oriented top model. Those expectations would also include video.
Though the G9 is supposedly the NON-video body, to the GH5(s).

Add to that the fact that they probably have many more GX85 customers than GX8 customers, most of whom are probably thrilled by this new camera.
But I wonder how many would-be GX8 customers --ones who like you much favored the body size/feel/operation-- were put off by rumor of shutter shock, and somewhat of price (and those initial whines re size)?!
I was out a while back w/Gx7 in a poor excuse for rain but something went amiss presumably moisture-related and suddenly had a black screen; turned off/on and I could hear the 35-100 report power but ... black screen and no operation. Put into oven in bag w/desiccants (I figured there must've been a reason for saving the many little trashed packages...), it recovered. But such a reaction worries me; I don't like to turn away from potential nice wet-weather imagery, it's all part of the potential!
But now the GX had done so.
Asked to hold a Gx8 in my local shop; hardly felt all the so-substantial I'd heard of, and frankly the AF switch looked pretty plastic flimsy. But its grip was a darn sight nicer than Gx85 (though I still prefer Gx7's).
G85s are getting decent used prices (i.e., better for seller), but that might be next. --for any weather. (and I'm not eager for >16mpx files)

-d.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Though the G9 is supposedly the NON-video body, to the GH5(s).
The G9 is only a non-video body compared to the GH5/s. It outshines more or less anything else when it comes to video capabilities, which is what people have come to expect from Panasonic cameras.

But I wonder how many would-be GX8 customers --ones who like you much favored the body size/feel/operation-- were put off by rumor of shutter shock, and somewhat of price (and those initial whines re size)?!
I was out a while back w/Gx7 in a poor excuse for rain but something went amiss presumably moisture-related and suddenly had a black screen; turned off/on and I could hear the 35-100 report power but ... black screen and no operation. Put into oven in bag w/desiccants (I figured there must've been a reason for saving the many little trashed packages...), it recovered. But such a reaction worries me; I don't like to turn away from potential nice wet-weather imagery, it's all part of the potential!
But now the GX had done so.
Asked to hold a Gx8 in my local shop; hardly felt all the so-substantial I'd heard of, and frankly the AF switch looked pretty plastic flimsy. But its grip was a darn sight nicer than Gx85 (though I still prefer Gx7's).
G85s are getting decent used prices (i.e., better for seller), but that might be next. --for any weather. (and I'm not eager for >16mpx files)

-d.
Having used the GX8 heavily for nearly 2 years, it's a camera I've learned to like, and like a lot. Should I buy the GX9, I'd miss the superior viewfinder and the excellent ergonomics. I would not miss the shutter shock though, or the lack of IBIS when shooting 4K. The G85 is an alternative as you mention, and two colleagues have it and use it extensively. It's extremely good value for money, and since it shares batteries with the GX8, they would work well as a pair, with the G85 being a bit more video centric. It's more or less like a junior G9/GH5 combo :)