The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

has anyone tried the Hasselblad CFV II 50c with tech camera?

mristuccia

The chart refers to the manual for details which says:

Although the SWC/M, 903SWC and 905SWC models work in conjunction with a CFV-50c, the combination is not recommended for critical work in certain instances. It is difficult to predict all photographic situations so it is advisable to read the following and make a judgement followed by checking the focus on the preview to see if it matches your expectations.

The Biogon 38 lens was designed for film use where the unusually close proximity of the lens to the film plane was of no consequence. However, digital sensors and their protective filters make very different demands on the angle and travelling distances of the peripheral rays exiting the rear lens element. Gradual unsharpness consequently occurs towards the edges of the frame, particularly noticeable with flat subjects (typically copying situations, 90° shots against building façades, etc) though these effects will be naturally less obvious with more three-dimensional subjects. Slight green and magenta casts are also caused, though these can be removed digitally in Phocus.
Indeed, the CFV I 50c user guide contains this note.

What I was saying is that in the user guide of the CFV II 50c HB seems to have removed this warning note, as I don't see any mention of it anymore. The new back's user guide has even a dedicated section on the interoperability between the CFV II 50c and the SWC cameras (Sec. 5.12 page 54), and no mention of any quality issues is found over there. I find it strange because both the old Mk 1 and the new Mk 2 use the same sensor.

Last edited:

TechTalk

Indeed, the CFV I 50c user guide contains this note.

What I was saying is that in the user guide of the CFV II 50c HB seems to have removed this warning note, as I don't see any mention of it anymore. The new back's user guide has even a dedicated section on the interoperability between the CFV II 50c and the SWC cameras (Sec. 5.12 page 54), and no mention of any quality issues is found over there. I find it strange because both the old Mk 1 and the new Mk 2 use the same sensor.
I understood the point and was just providing the details. The original CFV 50c was introduced in 2014, when the back and its 50 megapixel sensor were both new to the market. The sensor is now, several years later, a well known product as are its characteristics. The 38 mm Biogon was introduced 60 years earlier in 1954. The lens characteristics are definitely well known today. Next year will mark its 70th birthday.

Given the earlier manual's lukewarm suggestion of "not recommended for critical work in certain instances" and the number of intervening years, during which the sensor and 38 mm Biogon have been combined and discussed by various users, I'm not surprised there's no longer any mention of potential quality issues in the manual. So, myself; I don't find it particularly strange, even though the sensors are the same, for the reasons just mentioned.

Last edited: