The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

edouard

We've got a distributor in Switzerland. They'll be happy to take care of it.

Graphicart is in Bern and Zurich.

thanks!

Graphicart.ch

now I just have to wait for a CFV 100c as this won't work with my X1D... it would likely work with my 2011 CVF-50 ccd, but without live view this wouldn't be very practical! ;) (I don't want to buy a third mini MF 50mpx sensor)

Last edited:

P1505C

Hi all.

I’m looking for some real world insight into how the 50C II back works with V system bodies in the real world, outside, maybe on a monopod.

I keep reading about focus issues, but I’m yet to find anyone being very specific. I like the classic 80mm view, I appreciate the crop factor will mess with this. I shoot around 5.6 - 8, sometimes use a monopod but not really. Think of me as a hipster who shoots boring photos of boring things for the pure enjoyment of it, and uses the 500CM for the pace, feel, and sound.

But I do like things to be in focus, I wonder if the depth of field shooting f8 will save me here. I want to use the WLF, it’s part of the experience. Otherwise I’ll shoot my 5D.

How bad is the focus issue in true cold light of day reality? If I’m shooting a static subject about 30ft away at f8… how bad is it really truly? I can’t find one to rent near me to test.

I am interested in the digital back as film prices and developing go up, then scanning on top. I could sell my scanning setup and get a digital back

richardman

I have nailed focus with the 110/2 at F2 with the CFV II 50C. What it is, for me anyway, is that my eyes would get tired and I could miss focus if I don't let them rest. I think it's more the nature of the Hassy focusing system. I have used the CFV specific Acute Matte D screen with the crop lines, and also a Maxwell screen with similar results.

anyone

I do not own the CFV50c II, but a Phase One back, but your question about focus is not particularly back-specific.

If your Hasselblad 500C/M body is in spec, achieving proper focus is very possible, particularly in the setting you describe. A bright Acute Matte screen is of course very helpful and there is one with the proper frame lines for the CFV50c II. You may discover that your camera needs servicing. Film is a lot more forgiving when it comes to things getting out of alignment.

The answer is of course subjective, but for me, focusing is not a huge issue with the 500C/M.

From an aesthetic point of view, I find that a digital back and film give different results, both pleasing in their own ways.

Godfrey

The CFVII 50C focuses well with both my Hasselblad 500CM bodies. Focusing well requires that I make the effort to do it properly, that's all. If I'm fast and sloppy, I get sloppy results.

To get the field of view of the 80mm lens on native Hasselblad 6x6 film, you'll need the Distagon 50mm lens on the CFVII 50c cropped square (33x33). This, coupled with the CFVII 50c back, makes the Hasselblad 500CM rather larger and heavier, but the results are excellent. Shooting with the Planar 80mm nets you a tighter field of view (approx equivalent to a 135mm on the native film format) so if that works for you, it keeps the camera lighter and handier.

G

P1505C

I cover this in depth here: https://leejo.github.io/2021/05/31/hasselblad_reality/

Edit, and also here: https://leejo.github.io/2017/03/08/ten_years_with_a_hasselblad/ (although this one is less about the digital back and more about MF cameras in general)
So you don’t like it then :)

If I go this route, it’ll replace film but let me shoot my 500CM. Handheld or monopod, waist level finder, f8 so critical focus isn’t critical. Thats my plan.

I think it’s an expensive gamble.

leejo

So you don’t like it then :)
The 203FE was the best camera I ever used, and I used it for 12 years. With film. An awful lot of film.

The CFV II 50c in combination with it was... OK, but given the crop factor, and that it shows how bad some of the V lenses are, and that it would show up issues with focus when used as a walk around camera (I never used it in a studio setting), and that it was senstive enough to vibration meaning you had to use higher shutter speeds, and, and, and, and, and so on meant it had to go while it was still worth something on the second hand market after almost 3 years.

I'm used to faffing around, I shot large format, but I'll be blunt - the 907x is an absolute turd of a camera. It's about as enjoyable an experience as trying to use an iPad as a dedicated camera. Sure you *can* do it, but you really don't want to. I would absolutely not use it for any serious longer term work. An X2D or GFX would be a better option, and a better investment. Keep your 500CM for the film, buy a dedicated mirrorless MF camera body and not a clever hack that appeals to nostalgia.

Last edited:

buildbot

It's official? :D
All the FCC registrations and stuff typically mean it is coming. The user manual is currently confidential but was provided, so they at least wrote one up haha. It was registered in other countries too a while ago.

It's been long expected. Totally uniformed guess, it took a bit to get the IS to be packed into the current CFV 50c II frames proportions. IDK. Or they just wanted to sell more X2Ds first.

usm

I am afraid that there will be no IS.
There should be a voting with such questions…

wattsy

I am afraid that there will be no IS.
Extracts from the manual appear to have been posted showing image stabilisation options in the menu but these might turn out to be false.

I'm not sure how important IBIS is with the 907x anyway. I do use the 907x quite a bit handheld but I suspect I'm an outlier in this regard and that most users will be using a tripod.

SrMphoto

Extracts from the manual appear to have been posted showing image stabilisation options in the menu but these might turn out to be false.

I'm not sure how important IBIS is with the 907x anyway. I do use the 907x quite a bit handheld but I suspect I'm an outlier in this regard and that most users will be using a tripod.
The IBIS would be in the CFV unit. Wouldn't it be nice to use CFV with IBIS handheld mounted on a 503?