The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 28P

Paul

So, the XCD28P is not for me, unless I buy an X2D...
Many thanks Robert,

Too bad for the color cast that cannot be corrected internally. LCC is too cumbersome for me. I reach the same conclusion.

Maybe Hasselblad sees this as a way to push upgrades. I see this as a good way to limit compulsive acquisition and make a better use of what I already have ✌

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Many thanks Robert,

Too bad for the color cast that cannot be corrected internally. LCC is too cumbersome for me. I reach the same conclusion.

Maybe Hasselblad sees this as a way to push upgrades. I see this as a good way to limit compulsive acquisition and make a better use of what I already have ✌
Given the glacial pace of filling in missing features on current models, I think it extraordinarily unlikely that this is part of a plan to make customers upgrade. There are still important features on the X1D II (e.g., wired remote release, live view tethering) that are missing from the X2D. Anything is possible, I suppose...

Last edited:

Paul

I fully agree. It is astonishing that the X2D is still lacking so much features. I also often use the internal GPS feature on the X1DII, and it has been discontinued on the X2D (ok I understand that I might belong to a niche of tech-savvy users..).
So many reasons not to upgrade (except the 28P) ;)

TechTalk

I've got an answer from Hasselblad (very fast !!). They don't plan any further firmware for the X1D's. But they will reach out my request to the R&D team.....
So, the XCD28P is not for me, unless I buy an X2D.... or an XCD21 or 30, which are better than the 28P.
Just for the sake of clarity... Hasselblad lens corrections are not performed in the camera. Lens corrections are only performed by the software used when processing the raw image. Software used for raw files will need to be a version with support for the lens being used and JPEGs direct from the camera have no lens corrections.

https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/xcd-4-28p-faq : "HOW DO I CORRECT LENS DISTORTIONS?"

"Distortions can be corrected in Phocus or other image-processing software for more accurate optical effects. The camera itself does not support lens correction."

If there's any correction provided in camera, before or beyond the lens corrections performed in raw processing, I'm not aware of what it would be.

Phocus 3.7.5 added support for the XCD 28P. For Adobe versions supporting the lens, see the screenshot attached...

Adobe XCD 28P Support.png

Last edited:

tenmangu81

I agree with you for vignetting and lens distorsions, and I know that, of course.
But what about the colour cast ? It doesn't exist with the X2D, either because of the sensor difference (BSI for the X2D) or an other reason. But it would be fair from HB to publish a disclaimer telling that, at least for the time being, the XCD28P introduces a strong magenta cast which can't be corrected for the X1D series, unless by creating a "Scene calibration" / LCC within Phocus (or other softwares, if any).

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Having an X1D (Mark I), an X2D, an XCD 28P, and a white piece of plexiglass, I thought ...

Everything f/4.8, ISO 100, about 1/3 sec.

First, OOC with no corrections except white balance in the center and EV to match all the images. Processed in LR.

X1D

X2D

Now XCD 28P corrections as applied in LR

X1D

X2D

And finally, corrections applied in Phocus, exported as 16 bit TIFF

X1D

X2D

Interesting how much better Phocus corrects the X2D. It's almost perfect except for the deep corners. I could do a whole aperture series, but I was curious how bad the X1D corrections were.

Matt

Last edited:

Paul

Many thanks Matt.

As I was still hesitating, I got a raw image from an XCD 28P for sale, taken with a X1DII.
I opened it with LightRoom Classic (no specific profile was available at the time of my test) and the results are similar to yours:
- strong vignetting, which masks the color shift on the borders,
- when correcting the vignetting, then the colors shift was really visible on both left and right sides of the image.

I did not test with Phocus.

anyone

How is your experience of this lens on the X2D / CFV100c for landscape photography? The dimensions are very tempting to have this as a hiking lens. The obvious alternative would be the XCD 30.

dmecham

Can you expand on this, please ? From an owner of the 30mm and eager for the smaller 28….
I owned the 30mm lens for my Hasselblad X1Dii and is a superb lens. When the 28P was released I immediately purchased one and spent about 2 weeks comparing both lenses in a variety of photographic conditions. I had never tested 2 lenses side by side that were as close in performance. Both were superb. But I found the 28P to be ever so slightly better in image quality in the majority of cases. Coupled with the fact that the 28P was half the size and weight of the 30mm and the shutter was significantly quieter and faster I kept the 28P and sold the 30mm. And I should also mention half the cost of the 30mm. It seems now the 28P is back ordered every where. No surprise at all.

Attachments

dmecham

Many thanks Matt.

As I was still hesitating, I got a raw image from an XCD 28P for sale, taken with a X1DII.
I opened it with LightRoom Classic (no specific profile was available at the time of my test) and the results are similar to yours:
- when correcting the vignetting, then the colors shift was really visible on both left and right sides of the image.

I discovered that the XCD lenses give best results when converting RAW files in Phocus. Some of the optical corrections are in Phocus for each lens. I opened a RAW file in Adobe Raw and the color wasn't as good nor highlight retention as good as when I used Phocus.

dmecham

Just for the sake of clarity... Hasselblad lens corrections are not performed in the camera. Lens corrections are only performed by the software used when processing the raw image. Software used for raw files will need to be a version with support for the lens being used and JPEGs direct from the camera have no lens corrections.

https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/xcd-4-28p-faq : "HOW DO I CORRECT LENS DISTORTIONS?"

"Distortions can be corrected in Phocus or other image-processing software for more accurate optical effects. The camera itself does not support lens correction."

If there's any correction provided in camera, before or beyond the lens corrections performed in raw processing, I'm not aware of what it would be.

Phocus 3.7.5 added support for the XCD 28P. For Adobe versions supporting the lens, see the screenshot attached...

View attachment 207609
I've found that using Phocus software for RAW conversion is the best way to go. Some optical corrections are made in Phocus that other software options won't have. Considering that Phocus is a free download there really no reason no to use it for the best results.

dmecham

Many thanks Matt.

I'd recommend using Phocus as the vignetting can be corrected as well as other optical issues.Ogden High 4 FB.jpg

dmecham

I've got an answer from Hasselblad (very fast !!). They don't plan any further firmware for the X1D's. But they will reach out my request to the R&D team.....
So, the XCD28P is not for me, unless I buy an X2D.... or an XCD21 or 30, which are better than the 28P.
I have an X1Dii and 28P and the lens works perfectly. Had the 30mm which was a superb lens but found the 28P to have a slight edge in performance. I only use Phocus for RAW conversion to TIF files.

FloatingLens

I have an X1Dii and 28P and the lens works perfectly. Had the 30mm which was a superb lens but found the 28P to have a slight edge in performance. I only use Phocus for RAW conversion to TIF files.
Could you create a scene calibration at f4? I’d be curious if the color shift issue is not present in your case?

dmecham

I've never had to create a scene calibration with my X1Dii or lenses. I've never seen any color shifts. How would I go about creating this calibration?

dmecham

I keep reading about vignetting issues with the 28P but it seems completely correctable in Phocus. Here's an example take with the 28P.
Ogden High 4 FB.jpg

FloatingLens

I've never had to create a scene calibration with my X1Dii or lenses. I've never seen any color shifts. How would I go about creating this calibration?
Hold an opaque white plate in front of the lens and overexpose by 2 stops to see the unevenness in color, if any.