The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 Remote App

Massive Si

Because it sends a clear message to customers and potential customers, that P1 will drop you if you arent on the latest and greatest hardware. Even Apple dont do that

Last edited:

JeRuFo

Because it sends a clear message to customers and potential customers, that P1 will drop you if you arent on the latest and greatest hardware. Even Apple dont do that
Not if they keep Capture Pilot in the air too. If it is possible to run it from a hardware perspective I would feel left out, but you can't expect them to develop new features for a back that is getting quite old now.

Paul2660

Phase One, has a bit of history with not going backwards with feature function like other companies do. One example, Phase One, Hasselblad, and Fuji all use the same basic 50MP chip in their various cameras, (IQ150,250,350, X1d, 50s 50r). Hasselblad and Fuji both were able to get a e shutter to work on the 50MP solution. Phase did not and it should have been totally possible. For Phase users of the 50MP chip, this was a huge issues, especially tech users, as you could get past need to rely on the Copal shutter. As I remember Fuji had the E shutter available at release of the 50s.

We are also starting to see this moving forward with the XT only getting new features, and even the XF not getting them. The latest Lab feature ETTR only works on the XT currently. It's out for 4 to 5 months, and Phase still has not released it to WORK on the XF, which I thought was still their flagship camera. I realize you can see it on the IQ4 and XF, but the actual feature doesn't work correctly, only on the XT.

I personally can't see any reason the IQ3100 should not work with a new Capture Pilot or what ever, both have adhoc wifi.

Paul

med

There really should be no reason why the new app couldn't support older backs (for the features they support of course), but since Phase One seems to be putting in close to the bare minimum effort for app and firmware development right now, I would much rather they concentrated on IQ4 development.

At best, the older backs would only support functionality they already have with Capture Pilot, so as long as that continues to function then the users won't miss out on anything. As long as Capture Pilot is kept alive then I guess I don't see an issue here. This opinion will change if Capture Pilot gets abandoned and/or ceases to work in a future iOS version of course...

onasj

We can all hope for a new Capture pilot that works with IQ4 and all lower backs, iOS and Android, RAW and JPEG, but to be more realistic given the rate of software and firmware releases from Phase One, I would be thrilled with any ability to wirelessly transfer full-quality IQ4 files to an iOS device without requiring wires or a laptop. Modern wifi is fast enough and mobile image processing is powerful enough to make this capability useful in the field.

Mexecutioner

Have you tried recently ? It really isn’t fit for purpose.
I don't have an IQ3, so no, but I used it quite a a bit a while back, so I will be able share my impressions and compare it once the new one is out. Since the "brains" of the IQ4 are allegedly 10X faster than the IQ3, I expect much better performance, of course.

vieri

So far, it has actually been the other way round - IQ3 users were able to enjoy Capture Pilot, while IQ4 had nothing :D

Best regards,

Vieri

med

C1 just announced M1 version coming soon. I have to imagine that is related to the app development...

Paul2660

Sad to see that for a simple process like current version of capture Pilot on iOS and iPhone Phase is feeling that they need to move to M1 and the iPad. I for one have no need to try and process out a P1 raw on a iPad. Just would like to have ability fire the damn back remotely from a phone and possibly view the live view screen to allow the ability to setup a shot with the back low to the ground. Something that tilting LCD would have fixed. I have no want to spend another 1k on a M1 iPad just for this. Sad.

Paul

edmundphoto888

They do the same from hardware up with almost the same type of sensor from IQ1 to IQ4, only a few new sensor occasionally, like IQ1 60, IQ260, IQ360; IQ180, 280, 380; IQ1100, IQ3100; IQ3100T, IQ4100T (same sensor with IQ3100 with some modification). There is no different at all in terms of image quality with the same sensor variants, only some spec's are different. So, you can expect the IQ5 will have the same sensor in IQ4 with new spec's..... may be the IQ5 major improvement is the APP function....

buildbot

They do the same from hardware up with almost the same type of sensor from IQ1 to IQ4, only a few new sensor occasionally, like IQ1 60, IQ260, IQ360; IQ180, 280, 380; IQ1100, IQ3100; IQ3100T, IQ4100T (same sensor with IQ3100 with some modification). There is no different at all in terms of image quality with the same sensor variants, only some spec's are different. So, you can expect the IQ5 will have the same sensor in IQ4 with new spec's..... may be the IQ5 major improvement is the APP function....
I wish they’d offer instead of a trade in actual electronics upgrades to that point. I know they have pretty good trade in incentives but honestly it can’t be 20K worth of electronics still for an IQ3 -> 4.

med

. may be the IQ5 major improvement is the APP function....
This would be a gigantic slap in the face to all IQ4 owners, ESPECIALLY considering how much they sold the IQ4 platform as being “built for the future”, and having C1 inside, etc.