The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looks like tilt is coming to XT natively

Paul Spinnler

Posted one hour ago. Suppose the blue ring is either the 40mm or the 50mm.

Wonder if one can retrofit the other lenses. If they implement auto LCC in C1 + bring out a bigger shift capable XT they have a pretty much completed a differentiated system.

Last edited:

Qamaro

I got the same impression by the knob at the top, that the video focuses on, as I don't see that in any previous image of the XT with lens mounted. Reminded me of the scroll wheel on the rm3di.

Ray Harrison

Yes, it looks like the t/s knobs on my Cambo/Rodenstock lenses with X-Shutter. It will be interesting to see what they do.

buildbot

Looks like you can see wires going to small encoders on each knob for each axis - I bet metadata will be recorded! Very cool.

Paul Spinnler

It seems they found a solution to keep it cable-less and it also seems that Cambo is mounting them. I hope one can retrofit lenses (eg 50,70) as this was one of the missing parts of the system. Alpa reigns supreme on all things stitching, but this is a compact solution for everything from 50 and below.

If now only they'd finally find a way to implement auto LCC in C1 ... to really make use of the shift metadata ...

I think we are looking at 10k EUR+ here for this lens, in line with the 90 HR price point ...

Also a bit surprised it comes first with the 40 HR - DoF is not too bad at this focal length ... but I suppose they needed time to implement the workings / mechanics.

Last edited:

TechTalk

Yep. That would be the difference.

But, It would surprise me if they didn't use a control knob with a sensor to record angle data with the image metadata. They say we'll know "soon".

Last edited:

JeffK

To @Steve Hendrix 's point. The build of the actual product is very different. The dial is clearly nested in the structure. Very suggestive the mechanics have more to them then just dials. Imagine being able to adjust from the digital back!!! Better buy more batteries!!

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 12.51.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 12.56.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 12.51.23 PM.png

TechTalk

Encoding tilt data, along with shift, for automatic lens corrections certainly makes sense given the nature of the system and its price point. Built-in encoders for tilt/shift metadata with automatic lens corrections have been in use since 2008, so I think the time has long since arrived for it to be more widely adopted.