The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10M @ ISO 64000

KeithDM

Yes, 64000, not 6400!
Sitting at my desk last night & reading a thread about the M10M's hi-ISO capabilities, I picked up the camera (+ 50mm Summilux-M ASPH) and turned to my left take a photo diagonally across the room, the only light being a 40W desk-lamp behind me. The result below is at ISO 64000 (yes 64000 not 6400!) - amazingly clean. Next I'll borrow a black cat and look for a coal cellar... ;)
ISO64000Example.jpg

pegelli

Looking good Keith, lots of detail and limited noise.

Immediately tested my A7Rii at 64000 iso and converted to B&W in Lightroom.

Bare (no sharpening and no noise reduction) it certainly is noisier than your Leica at 64000. Noise can be brought down by Noise Ninja, Topas denoise AI or even the Lightroom sliders. Works pretty well and I can get similar noise to what your Leica is showing but I bet it's at the expense of some fine detail.

Last edited:

KeithDM

Thanks, Pieter. I was astonished at how 'clean' the images came out. Regarding noise-reduction, all I did was to move the luminence slider in LR from its default 25 to 50.

tcdeveau

High ISO performance is pretty impressive on the M10M indeed. High ISO performance isn’t a deciding factor in any of my camera purchases these days, but it’s pretty neat you can usable stratospherically-high ISO shots if one needs to (usable to me anyway).

I’ve been using the M10M to document life in quarantine for a future book for my sons (one is two, the other to be born and due in Jan). Remnants of hurricane zeta came through town and we were without power for two days. Got a few snaps for my project. This one is ISO 50,000 with the room lit by a single flashlight aimed at the ceiling.

50mm Zeiss f2 @ f2 and handheld...imported into lightroom with some very minor default adjustments (s-curve and noise reduction on import, I didn't touch any of the sliders).
00A842F7-F763-4B5F-B204-744AFC818EA2.jpeg

KeithDM

High ISO performance is pretty impressive on the M10M indeed. High ISO performance isn’t a deciding factor in any of my camera purchases these days, but it’s pretty neat you can usable stratospherically-high ISO shots if one needs to (usable to me anyway).

I’ve been using the M10M to document life in quarantine for a future book for my sons (one is two, the other to be born and due in Jan). Remnants of hurricane zeta came through town and we were without power for two days. Got a few snaps for my project. This one is ISO 50,000 with the room lit by a single flashlight aimed at the ceiling.
Good luck with your project. My intention is to pop along to the High St one evening when fully dark to capture what night life there is (won't be any at all after Thursday as we enter another lock-down...) using hi-ISO to enable a combination of shutter speed and aperture that will (a) freeze motion and (b) achieve suitable DoF.