The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

B L

Blooker & BreitnerTower - Amstel plein, Amsterdam NL ...

| gfx-100ii | laowa 20mm f/4 zero-d shift |
City scapes are much better during winter times as an example above by Bart, had it been shot during summertime , the building on far right would have been covered by the tree leaves.

Knorp

Bart,

Did you use any shift for these shots with the Laowa 20 or just correct in post?
For the Breitner tower I used maximum shift, but still it wasn't enough. So the last corrections were done in post.
It's good practice IMO while adjusting shift to keep some perspective distortion and then finish to taste in post.
In particular when shooting hand held it can be difficult sometimes to prevent overcorrecting or keeping the camera level.

And never correct to 'exact' verticals as this could look very odd and unnatural.
Especially for high-rise always keep a certain amount of perspective 'distortion'.

Kind regard.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For the Breitner tower I used maximum shift, but still it wasn't enough. So the last corrections were done in post.
It's good practice IMO while adjusting shift to keep some perspective distortion and then finish to taste in post.
In particular when shooting hand held it can be difficult sometimes to prevent overcorrecting or keeping the camera level.

And never correct to 'exact' verticals as this could look very odd and unnatural.
Especially for high-rise always keep a certain amount of perspective 'distortion'.

Kind regard.
I agree with what you say here, particularly with regards to correcting to exact verticals. However, that depends on the relation between the height of the subject and the distance from the subject. That is very obvious in this particular photo where the main subject could probably do with somewhat less correction, while the building on the left, which is not nearly as tall, could do with some more. In addition, since only part of the building on the left is shown, it will never give the impression of being "top heavy" and nearly falling over, which is sometimes the case when the whole building is visible.

In graphic design and also in typography, I often use the concept of "what looks correct to the human eye" rather than mathematical correctness, with regards to symmetry, spacing etc. To me, that has been important knowledge to bring over to my work with industrial photography, something that includes photos of large machinery indoor. I would also like to add that to me, the corrections resulting from the use of a shift lens mostly look more "natural" than those using software. I have no scientific evidence to prove that, just my eyes speaking. Being semi-retired, I have sold the Fuji GX680 and the 50mm ultra wide angle lens. I do miss them though, as it was a dream combo to work with on a heavy tripod and loaded with Ektar 100. Not practical for casual handheld shots though.

scho

Taughannock Falls running a bit high from heavy rain last night.

GFX 100s 35-70

Cayuga Lake at North Bay looking north towards the defunct Milliken Station coal fired power plant on the east shore.

GFX 100s 35-70

Looking west/NW at same scene. Wind was shifting to north from south as I was taking these images. Complex shifting of cloud deck.

Last edited: