The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to GFX- Filter system question

GDI

Apologies if this has been discussed previously. I am trying to decide which filter system for the GFX 100 and in particular the GF 23mm. I have a kit arriving tomorrow and am not sure which way to go.

I use a Nisi m75 for my full frame and they are pretty nice. But I may want to try a different system for the GFX.

Suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:

Paul2660

The M75 will not fit the 23mm. Lens is too large ie filter threading at 82mm.

I would look at the Wine country or similar system from NISI. You will need 100 x 100 sized filters which are too large for the M75.

Wine country or NISI 100 x 100 system should cover all the lenses you are getting.

Paul

algrove

Oh, by kit you meant your camera. I assumed the "kit" was a filter system ,but you were not sure if it was the right filter system. What the Nisi 100x100 system is not working for some?

GDI

The M75 will not fit the 23mm. Lens is too large ie filter threading at 82mm.

I would look at the Wine country or similar system from NISI. You will need 100 x 100 sized filters which are too large for the M75.

Wine country or NISI 100 x 100 system should cover all the lenses you are getting.

Paul
yes, I had assumed the m75 was too small - especially for the 23. I am assuming that I might get by using the m75 for the 63mm lens, but the other two will be too large.

GDI

Oh, by kit you meant your camera. I assumed the "kit" was a filter system ,but you were not sure if it was the right filter system. What the Nisi 100x100 system is not working for some?
Ah, I misunderstood. I don’t know about the NISI 100, but I had read that people had trouble with the 23mm and Lee filters and a special adapter ring was needed.

Now I am thinking I might try to find the Kase clip-in NDs and use a 77mm B+W CPL on the two longer lenses(since a polarizer would not of use on the 23mm). Is my logic sound?

diggles

use a Nisi m75 for my full frame and they are pretty nice. But I may want to try a different system for the GFX.
This thread helped me decide which filter system to use with my GFX100S, it may help you too.

I ended out ordering the H&Y k system with the drop in polarizer and nd filters. The same setup @dchew recommended.

It comes with the 67mm, 72mm, 77mm, and 82mm adapters. I also had to get a 58mm and 62mm adapter separately for the gf lenses with the smaller filter size.

Reactions: GDI

GDI

This thread helped me decide which filter system to use with my GFX100S, it may help you too.

I ended out ordering the H&Y k system with the drop in polarizer and nd filters. The same setup @dchew recommended.

It comes with the 67mm, 72mm, 77mm, and 82mm adapters. I also had to get a 58mm and 62mm adapter separately for the gf lenses with the smaller filter size.
Thanks Diggles- I am researching these now!

Gravastar

One problem I've found with many filter systems when using high density filters for long exposures is light leaks. That can be a particular problem with newer filters that have oleophobic/hydrophobic coatings. The adhesive used on light sealing gaskets won't stick to the filter so the gasket has to be on the mount instead. To avoid scratching the gasket cannot press onto the filter, there always has to be a very small gap.

The problem with the GF 23mm and Lee standard wide angle adapter is the groove at the back of the adapter into which the lens barrel fits isn't quite large enough and doesn't allow the adapter thread to engage completely. Lee have an adapter specifically engineered for the 23mm which doesn't have the problem..

If you don't want to use ND grads then the Kase magnetic system of circular filters may be useful. I've started to use it with the GFX50R. It's particularly good with high density NDs, no light leaks with the 23mm lens and 82mm system. You can stack 82mm filters with a minor reservation. 23mm with 2 filters, or polariser and 1 filter, are OK, polariser with 2 filters slight vignetting. Kase now have a circular ND grad system where the grad can be slid to move the transition point but I suspect the amount of movement is limited.

The main parameters that determine if a filter will vignette are lens diagonal angle of view, filter aperture/diameter and the filter distance from the lens entrance pupil. Because the entrance pupil of wide angle zooms can move a lot filters need to be carefully checked.

I've used the H&Y 100x150mm filter system with drop in ND/Polariser, Polariser and NDs, very occasionally had light leaks with long exposures. These were mostly due to the circular drop in NDs being slightly loose in the holder which could be permanently tightened by squeezing. The H&Y filters are excellent but tend to be heavy with a full pouch. That's why I'm trying the Kase magnetic circular system with no grads, total system is very light weight and compact.

Bob.

Last edited:

docholliday

One problem I've found with many filter systems when using high density filters for long exposures is light leaks. That can be a particular problem with newer filters that have oleophobic/hydrophobic coatings. The adhesive used on light sealing gaskets won't stick to the filter so the gasket has to be on the mount instead. To avoid scratching the gasket cannot press onto the filter, there always has to be a very small gap.
The new Formatt v2 holder has the gasket on the holder - and does not light leak. It also has no gap between the gasket and the filter as it's pressed tightly against the innermost filter. I've also never had a any scratches from the gasket to any filter, and I change filters a lot. The gasket has also not scratched any acrylic/plexi items as I have an LCC cut to fit the innermost slot and that is one filter that gets inserted and removed most often.

GDI

The problem with the GF 23mm and Lee standard wide angle adapter is the groove at the back of the adapter into which the lens barrel fits isn't quite large enough and doesn't allow the adapter thread to engage completely. Lee have an adapter specifically engineered for the 23mm which doesn't have the problem..

If you don't want to use ND grads then the Kase magnetic system of circular filters may be useful. I've started to use it with the GFX50R. It's particularly good with high density NDs, no light leaks with the 23mm lens and 82mm system. You can stack 82mm filters with a minor reservation. 23mm with 2 filters, or polariser and 1 filter, are OK, polariser with 2 filters slight vignetting. Kase now have a circular ND grad system where the grad can be slid to move the transition point but I suspect the amount of movement is limited.

The main parameters that determine if a filter will vignette are lens diagonal angle of view, filter aperture/diameter and the filter distance from the lens entrance pupil. Because the entrance pupil of wide angle zooms can move a lot filters need to be carefully checked.

I've used the H&Y 100x150mm filter system with drop in ND/Polariser, Polariser and NDs, very occasionally had light leaks with long exposures. These were mostly due to the circular drop in NDs being slightly loose in the holder which could be permanently tightened by squeezing. The H&Y filters are excellent but tend to be heavy with a full pouch. That's why I'm trying the Kase magnetic circular system with no grads, total system is very light weight and compact.

Bob.
Thanks, Bob that’s very informative! I did get some kase clip-in NDs and tried one out tonight.

They make me a little nervous. They don’t seem to really clip in and I worry a bit that they may come loose and damage the sensor or I might screw up snd drop one one and scratch the sensor. . Still deciding whether to return them and go for something else.

GDI

The new Formatt v2 holder has the gasket on the holder - and does not light leak. It also has no gap between the gasket and the filter as it's pressed tightly against the innermost filter. I've also never had a any scratches from the gasket to any filter, and I change filters a lot. The gasket has also not scratched any acrylic/plexi items as I have an LCC cut to fit the innermost slot and that is one filter that gets inserted and removed most often.
thanks, I’ll look at the Formatt as well.

Rand47

That’s the beauty of the Wine Country Camera filter system. The filter vaults make a light tight seal w/o any rubber gaskets. ZERO light leak. I used to hate trying to jam gasketed filters into spring loaded filter holders.

Rand