The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S Photos and Discussions

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
It's like the file gets auto contrasted... maybe it's some stupid Chrome thing. Ah, yeah if I open the file in Chrome directly it looks the same. Sigh. :(

Edit: I'm a complete idiot! I had DarkReader enabled. But I see the site has a dark theme, and in fact when I disable DarkReader and use the site theme things look normal. Like I said: I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This lens is so freaking good even wide open. It's honestly the first 80-200 I've ever owned where I felt it held up to the primes wide open. Anyone else thinning their prime bays because of it?

I stopped carrying my 85 prime because when I used it even for portraits I was often at f2.8-3.5 anyway and this lens rocks it there with added framing flexibility. Yes it is big and heavy, but because it's so freaking good it's usually in my bag anyway -- except for travel. With the 1.4x converter attached I can't detect any image degradation at all, so it rides with the lens. First time in a long time I have not had an 85 prime close at hand...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
It's really a phenomenal lens! The foot came loose a bit last night though; the four phillips screws holding it in place undid themselves a bit. Need to find myself a small screwdriver to tighten it up each day, and when I get home I'll give them a little loctite. Fortunately, at least with the Kirk foot I'm using they're captive and can't get lost. Hard to shoot when the camera and lens wiggles on the tripod - and it's way too heavy to hold by just the camera. This foot is a design fail.

Darin Marcus

Anyone else thinning their prime bays because of it?
No, not me - I've just purchased a 105mm prime :D

Joking aside, the lens is really good, so I agree with you that primes in that range need to bring something else to the table to get used, like macro/closeup capabilities, or a special rendering...

Swissblad

PhotographyLife.com verdict: Optically, the Nikon Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S is one of the best lenses in Nikon’s entire lineup. It’s the single sharpest zoom lens we have ever tested!!!

Good for Nikon!!!