The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

V

Vivek

The leaked images of the Z6 are interesting and point to a compact (Sony A7 compact but with a better grip) camera!

:watch:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yeah I was halfway expecting more room between the grip and the lens personally.
The size of the mount limits the space. However, since the lens carries its maximum diameter all the way from the mount (as opposed to some Sony lenses that "grow" out from the mount), the space opens up. How that works in practice remains to be seen.

What I find very interesting is that there now seem to be two distinct "design schools" at work:

Olympus, Sony and Fuji are clearly retro, although the E-M1 II and the X-H1 are less retro that the original E-M1 and the X-T1/2. Panasonic, Leica and Nikon have gone in the opposite direction, with design and ergonomics that look very much like a current Nikon DSLR in Nikon's and Panasonic's case and contemporary European design style in Leica's case.

How these two Nikon cameras work when it comes to performance, particularly AF, remains to be seen, but from what I've been able to figure out so far, Nikon clearly has two winners here. Sony and Fuji in particular will get some tough competition now. Olympus and Panasonic represent a more compact system, and my guess is that Panalympic is very happy with their choice of sensor size right now, since they won't have to compete head on with Nikon. As for Leica, they live on a different planet.

Edit: Just had another look at the lenses. The 50mm actually do increase in diameter from the mount. That looks like a pretty big lens. No VR switch on the zoom, so I suppose there's IBIS.

tcdeveau

I'm digging them. Definitely curious to see the full spec sheet and to see them in action. I wonder if they'll have illuminated rear buttons? I also wonder if we'll see third party Z-mount lenses at some point, like the new Tamron f2.8 zoom, or the Batis line?

I won't be an early adopter but I can definitely see myself picking one up at some point, depending on performance and how the lens lineup develops. I've missed shooting Nikon ever since I sold my D800E and D810 and lenses a few years back, but haven't wanted to go back to the size/weight of a dSLR setup now that I'm used to mirrorless.
These could be the Nikons I've been waiting for.

iiiNelson

Kind of anti climatic imo.
Most of me expected it to be somewhat anti-climatic due to the timed releases of information. If the camera was going to truly be revolutionary/groundbreaking I’d expect them to just put their cards on the table and see how the game played out. People would just need to catch up at that point.

In the end we got Nikon’s take on an A7 type body with possibly fewer function buttons. It’ll probably be a pretty good camera but nothing that would make me want to switch systems anytime soon if ever.

jdphoto

Nikon isn't in the revolution business, they're in the solid performer business.
Let's wait until after the beta users reviews, but in the meantime, yeah, boring design and aesthetics. Nikon should have kept more of their film heritage in its design, but not like the DF. Fuji has been extremely successful in this regard. Cameras may just be tools, but design is key to inspiration.

D Fuller

That is why they buy/use Sony image sensors.
People keep saying this like the sensor in the Sony cameras and the Nikon cameras are the same. They’re not. Sony fabricates sensors to Nikon’s design spec. That’s why Nikon has consistently gotten better performance out of its “Sony” sensors than Sony has. Its why pixel counts are different. It’s got a lot to do with why the color rendering is different.

Nikon designs its sensors, and does them very well.

iiiNelson

Nikon isn't in the revolution business, they're in the solid performer business.
Revolutionary as a change in strategic vision and a presumeable break from F mount. That’s a revolution that has little to do with solid performance. There aren’t many cameras that don’t perform solidly these days if we are being honest about it but Nikon clearly want this to be and sees it as a revolutionary camera internally based on their marketing strategy.

The anti-climatic is aimed at that and I stand by my stance that we should expect the camera to perform initially at 2nd generation FE camera levels (which is to say very good) and grow from there. I think we can all be “pleasantly surprised” if it exceeds that but I don’t expect it to in the real world personally the first go around... maybe after some software refinements once it’s in the hands of many we can expect generation 3 performance/refininements.

V

Vivek

Agree with that assessment.

If Nikon has lossless compressed RAW (most likely) and no star eater, it will give the necessary impetus in Sony’s rear to respond positively to the repeated user requests. :LOL:

iiiNelson

The size of the mount limits the space. However, since the lens carries its maximum diameter all the way from the mount (as opposed to some Sony lenses that "grow" out from the mount), the space opens up. How that works in practice remains to be seen.

What I find very interesting is that there now seem to be two distinct "design schools" at work:

Olympus, Sony and Fuji are clearly retro, although the E-M1 II and the X-H1 are less retro that the original E-M1 and the X-T1/2. Panasonic, Leica and Nikon have gone in the opposite direction, with design and ergonomics that look very much like a current Nikon DSLR in Nikon's and Panasonic's case and contemporary European design style in Leica's case.

How these two Nikon cameras work when it comes to performance, particularly AF, remains to be seen, but from what I've been able to figure out so far, Nikon clearly has two winners here. Sony and Fuji in particular will get some tough competition now. Olympus and Panasonic represent a more compact system, and my guess is that Panalympic is very happy with their choice of sensor size right now, since they won't have to compete head on with Nikon. As for Leica, they live on a different planet.

Edit: Just had another look at the lenses. The 50mm actually do increase in diameter from the mount. That looks like a pretty big lens. No VR switch on the zoom, so I suppose there's IBIS.
Well I was paying more attention to the f/4 zoom... what happens when the f/2.8 zooms are released. The grip may not be the “best shape but I’d reserve final judgment after putting it in my own hands to test out.

I dont really aee Fuji competing directly with Sony. Two different markets in reality though I believe Fuji is attempting to encroach into Sony’s territory. I see Nikon gaining more people willing to drop Fuji than Sony people willing to make a lateral switch in reality. I don’t know that panasonic/Olympus people cross shop between Micro 4/3 and FF... it’s much more likely they ADD a FF camera than replace. Leica is something like Fuji in that they have “zealot like” brand loyalist. There’s not a lot of cross shopping from the extreme fans but those that have the potential to cross shop may look at the Nikon BUT Nikon would be smart to put out a roadmap at Photokina (or before) because Leica hasn’t been as aggresssive in producing TL lenses as say a Sony, Fuji, or Micro 4/3 system.

All of this is just my opinin and region/country plays a role into that.

tcdeveau

Agree with that assessment.

If Nikon has lossless compressed RAW (most likely) and no star eater, it will give the necessary impetus in Sony’s rear to respond positively to the repeated user requests. :LOL:
The Nikon Z's would certainly have my attention if they don't have star eater issues. I used the A7RII I had for astro work, and it didn't bother me too much (the Batis 18mm I found to be a great performer for these purposes), but I'd certainly rather a camera I use for that purpose not remove stars when doing NR.