The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

iiiNelson

Looks like initial specs have leaked. The cameras seem comparable to the Sony cams on paper with Sony having some advantages and Nikon having other advantage. I’d like to see how the AF points are laid out and if the listed AF points are for PDAF or CDAF. I know Fuji claims up to 325 PDAF points but that’s only accurate in certain focus modes... in all others they actually have 91 PDAF points.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/fi...ize-comparison-with-other-mirrorless-cameras/

In any case the cameras are rumored to be released in the fall/Christmas time frame so far. That is fine if you could wait but if you wanted to jump into Mirrorless now that leaves a lot of time for the hype to die down. I feel like the extended delays on the Hasselblad X1D hurt them in direct competition with the GFX somewhat as evidenced by the multiple price cuts.

pegelli

My Sony A9 continues to work just fine.:clap: :watch:
I don't think the new Nikons are an A9 competitor, price and specwise they seem to be targetting the A7iii and A7Riii which is probably a good start.

No doubt these will be competent cameras, but I'm more looking forward to what the functionality of the adapter is, hopefully also high so it forces Sony to upgrade the capibilities of their current adapters, which are lagging behind vs. what the camera can do with native lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the leaked data and the price is correct, the Z7 seems to have the D850 sensor plus IBIS but at a much lower price point than the D850. That's interesting.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If the leaked data and the price is correct, the Z7 seems to have the D850 sensor plus IBIS but at a much lower price point than the D850. That's interesting.
Actually it should be cheaper as it is mirrorless and hence much cheaper to produce - at least in theory ;)

jduncan

Nikon isn't in the revolution business, they're in the solid performer business.

Hi,

That is correct and it's the perfect model for mechanical stuff. Tomorrow Nikon becomes a costumer electronics business.
The model needs to change and, in any case, they were having problems with the solid part.
I am concerned that they target the old Sony models, not the new ones. Size abobe all. I hope they have two card slots but we will know tomorrow.

Best regards,

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I don't think the new Nikons are an A9 competitor, price and specwise they seem to be targetting the A7iii and A7Riii which is probably a good start.

No doubt these will be competent cameras, but I'm more looking forward to what the functionality of the adapter is, hopefully also high so it forces Sony to upgrade the capibilities of their current adapters, which are lagging behind vs. what the camera can do with native lenses.
Agreed and it’ll be interesting to see how fast the readout time is on these new Nikon cameras. I haven’t been able to watch a news press conference, a political hearing, or a sporting event in the last year or so without seeing an A9. Sony really did cover a different niche with that body that’s easily the most advanced Mirrorless camera in the market as of today. Being able to keep up with and in many tests surpass even the D5 says a lot about the engineering that went into making it.

k-hawinkler

Agreed and it’ll be interesting to see how fast the readout time is on these new Nikon cameras. I haven’t been able to watch a news press conference, a political hearing, or a sporting event in the last year or so without seeing an A9. Sony really did cover a different niche with that body that’s easily the most advanced Mirrorless camera in the market as of today. Being able to keep up with and in many tests surpass even the D5 says a lot about the engineering that went into making it.
All the other Sony cameras have a readout time 3x to 5x slower than the 1/150 s of the A9.

rayyan

A moan...

Are we talking about just one card slot?
Pls tell me it ain’t so :shocked:

And what is it with the Z6 number of AF points:shocked: and :shocked: again.

As I am in the Philippines right now, without any camera except the iPhone n iPad, I am less than enthusiastic about new cameras.

jduncan

People keep saying this like the sensor in the Sony cameras and the Nikon cameras are the same. They’re not. Sony fabricates sensors to Nikon’s design spec. That’s why Nikon has consistently gotten better performance out of its “Sony” sensors than Sony has. Its why pixel counts are different. It’s got a lot to do with why the color rendering is different.

Nikon designs its sensors, and does them very well.
Hi,

Before your liver explodes with the replies you are getting, repeat after me:

"Voluntary ignorance cannot be overcome by facts"

So you are right but you ain't going to do nothing with that.
You need an emotional argument that makes people that accept it feels special or vindicated. Facts won't cut it.

https://bigthink.com/think-tank/the-backfire-effect-why-facts-dont-win-arguments

It's frustrating for me, but I am learning to accept this a part of reality.

Best regards,

Frankly

So it's a conservative new A7iv variant with a better user interface.

Disappointed there are no pancake lenses.

Happy I don't feel an urge to buy one!

iiiNelson

So it's a conservative new A7iv variant with a better user interface.

Disappointed there are no pancake lenses.

Happy I don't feel an urge to buy one!
Better is subjective. Seems like the camera doesn’t have quite enough programmable buttons.

Frankly

Somebody just posted a mint D810 with 500 clicks on Fred Miranda for $1250.

Black Thursday indeed, 20% depreciation overnight.

SrMphoto

Interesting! Lots of information on dpreview.com.
They mention that Nikon Z7 focuses at working aperture or f5.6, whichever is wider. That seems to be a better solution than what A7rIII or Fuji use (full wide, or focusing at working aperture, depending on focusing mode), as it provides plenty of light while taking care of focus-shift. Focusing seems to be quite good, even with the adapter.
Only one card, but on the other hand I gave up on using a second SD card with Sony and Fuji cameras. A second card works really well with Nikon DSLRs, though.
Hopefully, the 24-70/f4 is a good performer and not such a dud as Sony's.
The lens line-up is quite ambitious. We'll see if Nikon will be able to meet the demand.

rayyan

It is to be expected that one would compare Nikon’s latest mirrorless offering
to what other manufacturer’s have on offer currently.

i do not pay attention to paid reviewers.

Been a Nikon user since late 70s.

No amount of ifs and buts can change the Z6/7 on offer.
No excuses.

i am not impressed. And that after such a long wait to bring to the market.

i am a travel photographer.
The Nikon Z6/7 do not meet my needs.

YMMV.