The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinion and sample of Phase one SK 28/3.5 LS silver ring

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Everything is relative.

Compared to a plastic Lens Baby it’s very good.

Compared to most consumer wide angle lenses it’s okay.

Compared to any of the other LS Blue Ring lenses such as the 35 LS it is quite poor.

Compared to the Rodenstock 23HR, 28HR, or 35HR it is garbage.

In general, if you have another option (stitching with the 35, using a tech cam, using another pretty good camera) I’d suggest using that other option.

Last note: 90% of the problem with this lens is sharpness/rendering/aberrations in the corners specifically (which is quite poor). If those things aren’t important to you (eg you’re using it for perspective exaggerated portraiture, not landscape) then you can ignore most of the negativity. The center 2/3rds of this lens are very good; cropping out the corners (or using it on a crop sensor back) leaves a very good/sharp/clean image - though that defeats its main reason for existing (wide angle view).

Last edited:

Paul2660

Of additional consideration is that you can use the lens (28mm) with no need for an LCC on the DF or XF.
There is considerable sample variation of quality on this lens ie some are better than others.

The beforehand mentioned 23 and 28 Rodenstocks are tech camera only lenses. And strongly require Appropriate Center filter to keep the corners clean even on center unless shooting with the IQ4.

On a crop sensor back the 28mm will perform better.

The 28mm offers AF and with the XF you can use the focus bracketing feature.

As previously stated it’s a much older lens design than the blue rings but it won’t cost 8k either and can give acceptable results in many situations.

Filter adapters can be purchased for the 28 Phase that allow use of 150mm sheet filters.

Net depending on your budget, it might be worth trying.
Paul

Maxx9photo

Thank you all! Much appreciated. The main reason I'm curious is to see how wide is the lens, I know that equivalent to 21mm in full frame format which is pretty wide. My widest lens I've used with Hasselblad was 21mm which sometimes too wide, I ended up using much of my XCD 30.

lookbook

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thank you all! Much appreciated. The main reason I'm curious is to see how wide is the lens, I know that equivalent to 21mm in full frame format which is pretty wide. My widest lens I've used with Hasselblad was 21mm which sometimes too wide, I ended up using much of my XCD 30.
Find the DT Lens Visualizer and it can compare it visually to any other lens-sensor combo you’re familiar with.