The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And donā€™t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF Try out

buildbot

Blue Ring lenses do have improved shutters, and some of them can take advantage of the XF AFr functionality. But all but the above are unchanged optically from previous Silver Ring lenses.
Or the rare silver ring that somehow works with AFr (my 110mm does not, my 80mm does šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø)

Steve Hendrix

Agree, but it is nonetheless remarkable that it came out ā€¦. sales numbers must be low given price and general market; this said, it came out many years later than all other lenses and was commissioned with the aim to be a state of the art medium format optic covering a ā€œfull frameā€ digital medium format sensor; it is a taste of what could have come for the 55 MK II had the market not tanked.

It is a joy of a lens and before Phase One decommissions the system definitely to get if one has the XF and likes it. Not sure how realistic it is to wait for these in the secondary market. As a late cycle optic of the XF system it has the potential to be the XFā€™s 120 SK apo Asph; ie in 10 years it will command a huge premium over the other lenses on eBay as no one has one ā€¦

Another rare one is the 45 ā€¦ sharp edge to edge and also a last gen lens. Rarely see it used. C. 28mm equivalent FoV - great for environmental portraiture.

Both are stellar ā€¦ the 80 MK II will be the systemā€™s unicorn lens once P1 kills it. Get it before it is gone.
Yes, the 45mm is an underrated optic. As much as the 35mm is raved about, I feel like the 45mm is the 35mm's slightly taller identical twin.

And we have one in our CI Certified Pre-Owned inventory:

https://digitalback.com/collections/phase-one-pre-owned/products/schneider-kreuznach-45mm-ls-f-3-5-af-pre-owned-cpo

Steve Hendrix/CI

JeffK

So many great lenses out there. I've got a lot of lenses. From 35mm to 280mm. Across copal and AF for the XF. But the two focal lengths I shoot with most on XF are the 55/80. And the 70mm on a tech cam. 10-15% of the time, I'll require a different focal length. For years I just shot with a 50mm on my Leica M2/M9M, then had to send the 50 in for service, so started using the 35mm, and kept using it even after the 50 came back. But lately, some of my best shots have been with the 80 on XF, and 70 on Tech cam.

If I had to pick one focal length, it's essentially the normal FOV. Now deciding on a platform... that's tough. I really like the seismic sensing on the XF. On the tech cam, I add a 2 sec timer. XF/80/WLF packs nice and small. But Tech cam only needs a single battery to run.

Last edited:

John Black

"I really like the seismic sensing on the XF."

If using longer tele's on the XF, this feature is god's gift to photographers. In the Phase One DF / DF+ days, I struggled to get sharp images with lenses like the Mamiya 200/2.8 APO. Whereas as on the XF / IQ3... it's almost too easy. Vibration delay coupled with electronic shutter fundamentally transformed the sharpness keeper-rate.

Another handy feature is the leveling bulls-eye, more so on the IQ3 backs because the IQ3 allows the end-user to calibrate it. Whereas the IQ4 backs need a trip to Phase One HQ.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Yes, the 45mm is an underrated optic. As much as the 35mm is raved about, I feel like the 45mm is the 35mm's slightly taller identical twin.

And we have one in our CI Certified Pre-Owned inventory:

https://digitalback.com/collections/phase-one-pre-owned/products/schneider-kreuznach-45mm-ls-f-3-5-af-pre-owned-cpo

Steve Hendrix/CI
Yes, it's my most used WA lens on the XF and arguably my sharpest lens (outside of my XT lenses). My travel kit is the 45, 80 and 150 (3.5).

Taking on the pilot under the Bridge of the Americas, Panama.

P0003053.jpg

Paul Spinnler

Another aspect to consider with the Blue Ring lenses is the focus stacking for landscapes say with the 45. You can make 3 shots, foreground, middle ground and background and then merge it with the right software. Although you cannot stitch and shift, this is a benefit unique to the XF. On the tech cam it is also easy, but not automatic ...

Maxx9photo

Thanks to all for the feedbacks on their XFs and lenses experience!
I do have question for portrait, other than 80 which I will get as a start kit, which one is better between 110 and 150? I donā€™t mind going with silver ring for now for cost efficiency.

Cheers,

ike

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks to all for the feedbacks on their XFs and lenses experience!
I do have question for portrait, other than 80 which I will get as a start kit, which one is better between 110 and 150? I donā€™t mind going with silver ring for now for cost efficiency.
150/2.8 is best
110/2.8 next best
150/3.5 is the last of the three but still quite good

Mind you this is based only on lens image quality. Size, weight, cost, filter size, and focal length spacing of your kit should all be considered based on your use case. The 150/2.8 is stunning optically but is also the largest and heaviest of the lenses.

Make sure to get a DT LCD Shade for the back if you get a waist level viewfinder. Helps viewing in bright light and is reversible for storage/transport (bias alert: thatā€™s our product).

For a two lens Portrait kit Iā€™d actually pick the 80 and 120 macro. But the ere are few wrong answers.

Maxx9photo

If so, that's two silver rings at least that somehow support AFr!
Iā€™ve finally have little time to review the AFr, I was confused yesterday with another back button function but apparently itā€™s not available after I set up the AFr. That means the lens is not supported? The attachment shows the set up.

Attachments

buildbot

Iā€™ve finally have little time to review the AFr, I was confused yesterday with another back button function but apparently itā€™s not available after I set up the AFr. That means the lens is not supported? The attachment shows the set up.
If it lets you turn on AFr mode - I think itā€™s supported. My plastic barrel AF lenses and my 110mm silver ring both pop up an error message stating that AFr is not supported. I just turned it on from lower down in the capture setup menu, I didnā€™t assign any button to toggle it specifically (I use the front button for live view and the back for AF).

I might be wrong - but it definitely zooms to the shifted focus point when I use my Iq3+80mm with AFr on.

Maxx9photo

If it lets you turn on AFr mode - I think itā€™s supported. My plastic barrel AF lenses and my 110mm silver ring both pop up an error message stating that AFr is not supported. I just turned it on from lower down in the capture setup menu, I didnā€™t assign any button to toggle it specifically (I use the front button for live view and the back for AF).

I might be wrong - but it definitely zooms to the shifted focus point when I use my Iq3+80mm with AFr on.
I checked on Youtube it should show the AFr mode on main screen but mine is not, but I didn't have error message though.