The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm contemplating getting the XT as a companion to my XF. Do any members here have one or have comments about it? (I've read all the reviews I can find on-line)

MILESF

I’d like to but having bought Arca some years ago the cost is too great. I’d also want tilt. That said I have found that the XF and the Technical camera complement each other very well.

Mexecutioner

I'm contemplating getting the XT as a companion to my XF. Do any members here have one or have comments about it? (I've read all the reviews I can find on-line)
I am on the same boat as you are Bill, ideally with the 32 and the 90, but will probably start with the 645 adapter as the pandemic situation has me watching my spending, which in some ways is a good thing I guess. Also I am not out and about that much these days so I am in no rush, but at some point I will have to scratch that itch.

Ray Harrison

I'm trying to make a similar decision myself. This would be my first tech cam so I'd be starting with a clean slate. To me, there are interesting workflow advantages, including iq4 back and camera integration, both the x and electronic shutter capability, no cables, works with cambo lenses if I need tilt (though without the integration, obviously) and is pretty compact. A Cambo WRS-1600 has more shift, a similar ability to rotate the back, more lenses available immediately, and the like, but only electronic shutter and none of the integration.

Decisions, decisions.

Yes, there is a dearth of information/reviews about the XT outside Phase One and Dealers. Most reviews I've read are the "hands on" variety that are not very helpful. I bit the bullet and bought an XT with the 32mm HR this summer. For my style of shooting I like it better than the XF. It's an extremely well designed machine and probably the easiest tech cam experience you can have. When you hit the sweet spot with the IQ4150 and the 32mm it's spectacular.

Things to keep in mind. It's all manual everything which I think is great. The camera is lighter and smaller than it looks. You will quickly hit the limits of what the IQ4150 can and can not do. You'll learn more about the physics of diffraction than you wanted to know. Also, eats batteries at a very quick pace.

Attached is photo of my backpack so you can see how small it is. Along with the XT there are two Sony A7RIV's and a Mavic 2 Pro

IMG_9542.jpg

Hausen

The XT/IQ4 would be the perfect setup for me, as an amatuer though I would just have to find a new wife:unsure:

LCValla

I have the XT since march with 23,32 and 70.
I use it for my architectural and landscape work and it's the best camera I ever used.
I keep it in my back pack with some spare batteries, centered filters and compendium.
The results are stunning and the ease of use is really great
I have only 2 complains
the first one it's about the lack of a view finder which in sun light would be very useful.
The important thing is to use a very dark T-shirt, seams a stupid thing but it is the only way to se the image on the IQ4 with out reflections!
The second one is that 12 mm of shift some times it's a limit.

Lorenzo

RogerM

I had a Cambo up until several years ago and when the XT came along I thought it was the right time to get back into a tech cam. I use it with the 32 & 70 and haven’t used the XF system much since. Combination of the XF being too heavy for field work and too slow for people work. Once you see how sharp the Rodenstock lenses are you might never go back to the XF. I had already transitioned much of my architecture and people work to Sony. (from Nikon and that’s another story) There is something about a mirrorless system with little green boxes that float around heads and eyeballs giving me a much higher in focus yield rate than I could ever achieve with the XF. I do enjoy getting back to architecture and landscape using the XT instead of the Sony.

There is a lot to like about the XT and a number of missing items. It’s relatively light and the integrated electronic shutter is great. No more cables, self cocking, and super high flash sync. I especially love using the new frame averaging. I learned a lot about the system and averaging during my pandemic free time. You can have a look here:
https://www.rogermastroianni.com/PORTFOLIOS/Cleveland-B&W/
A viewfinder along with a cold shoe would be nice although the focus mask works really well. The rotating mount is a great idea, but it’s too loose in the vertical position.

Bottom line is it’s light, easy to use, and the image quality is phenomenal.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Can one of you lucky ones who already own the XT tell me what the closest focussing distances are for the 32, 70 and 90mm lenses? Phase One's site omits this as do the reviews I have read.

Thanks!
Bill

TheDude

the first one it's about the lack of a view finder which in sun light would be very useful.
The important thing is to use a very dark T-shirt, seams a stupid thing but it is the only way to se the image on the IQ4 with out reflections!
Have you looked at dtcommercialphoto's shade, https://bit.ly/2GAZl7q? (No association or affiliation, no personal experience)

Personally, I use the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder, https://bit.ly/30NoRxn, for composing the image and camera placement, and a modified 4x5" dark/focusing cloth when focussing the camera and composition check.

Last edited:

LCValla

Have you looked at dtcommercialphoto's shade, https://bit.ly/2GAZl7q? (No association or affiliation, no personal experience)

Personally, I use the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder, https://bit.ly/30NoRxn, for composing the image and camera placement, and a modified 4x5" dark/focusing cloth when focussing the camera and composition check.
I did not tried the shade but I don’t think it is very useful because the problem in the sun it’s not only the light from the surrounding but the biggest problem are reflections (the story of the d T-shirt it’s not a joke).

I use a a similar application from Alpa which helps me to determinate in advance which lens to use but a real view finder would be another thing!

Lorenzo

Jeffrey

I own the XT with the Rodie 32mm lens and the IQ4-150 achromatic back. Last week I shot an abandoned steel works and love the set up! Being able to rotate the entire camera without removing the back is a huge game changer. Yes, I miss the tilt/shift feature I had with the Cambo WRS-5000. However, a majority of the time I didn't use the tilt/shift. I am very satisfied with the XT. Truly wonderful for the shooting I do.