The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PLEASE HELP! GFX 100S 2 days in rain.

P. Chong

Immersion in a pot of uncooked rice does not work. It’s an urban myth. A sealed container with silica gel might. in any case, don’t turn on the camera till it is dry.

Fuji does not state the standard in which water resistance is tested to, usually for electronics it is typically IPX7, which specifies immersion under 1meter for 30mins. I have used a GFX50R with GF45 in continuous rain for about half an hour. No issues at all. But a few days is rather different story, I guess. Good luck. I guess last resort is to send it in to Fuji.

Last edited:

buildbot

I guess last resort is to send it in to Fuji.
Make sure to get everything in writing when you do, I had a bad bait and switch repair from them for a GFX 50S once...They upped the repair from 700 to 3000(!?) after a week. The online portal with the repair quote was reset and had no history of the original quote.

gurtch

Last night I packed the camera and lens separately in Tupperware tubs with five 50 mg bags each of color coded silica gel. I plan to check the color daily ( without removing the lid) and leave them in there for about a week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks all for the encouragement.
Dave

tcdeveau

Last night I packed the camera and lens separately in Tupperware tubs with five 50 mg bags each of color coded silica gel. I plan to check the color daily ( without removing the lid) and leave them in there for about a week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks all for the encouragement.
Dave
Best of luck! Don’t beat yourself up too much, this kinda thing could happen to any of us. I have two young children (4 and 2 yo), and I’ve found that dealing with toddlers I’m lucky if I remember to brush my teeth at night let alone put camera gear away

gurtch

Here is my new plan: Fuji put on sale the 35~70mm f4-5.6 lens for $500, reduced from $1000. I just purchased one, Fuji Official USA Imported for $469, free shipping and no sales tax. If my 32-64 lens is dead, I will use the 35-70mm. If the 32-64mm can be repaired, I can sell the 35-70. On the other hand, a smaller, lighter walk around lens might be interesting. The other thing I am going to do is Monday, having the equipment in silica gel for 5 days, is send both items to Fuji in North Jersey (I am in South Jersey) and get a repair estimate (if required). I will NOT attempt to turn on the camera nor mount the lens.
Thanks all
Dave

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

So sorry, Dave. I know how you feel - my IQ back fell off my Mamiya DF some years go, right into a river. It was quite shallow so I could recover it. $5,000 later PI had fixed it - fortunately my homeowners insurance paid out 80%.

I feel a bit silly asking this - but I assume you did remove the battery? (I didn't actually read that you did.)

My fingers are crossed for a happy outcome.

Best wishes,
Bill

gurtch

Thanks Bill. Yes, I removed the battery, and memory cards, and have not turned the camera on yet.
Best,
Dave

gurtch

Here is my new plan: Fuji put on sale the 35~70mm f4-5.6 lens for $500, reduced from $1000. I just purchased one, Fuji Official USA Imported for $469, free shipping and no sales tax. If my 32-64 lens is dead, I will use the 35-70mm. If the 32-64mm can be repaired, I can sell the 35-70. On the other hand, a smaller, lighter walk around lens might be interesting. The other thing I am going to do is Monday, having the equipment in silica gel for 5 days, is send both items to Fuji in North Jersey (I am in South Jersey) and get a repair estimate (if required). I will NOT attempt to turn on the camera nor mount the lens.
Thanks all
Dave

gurtch

Well, here is where I am: I received my new Fuji 35-70 f4.5-5.6 lens today. Very very nice. Even if I get my 32-64mm repaired I may just keep this little baby of a lens (at a bargain price of $469!). I went to Fuji's site to register my new lens. Wonderful user friendly site. The site remembered me, my address, etc. It also had a complete list of all the equipment I purchased and registered. There was all my stuff, serial numbers, date of purchase, and warranty expiration date. It offered various services, including repair estimates. It was easy, I just checked off my two items for repair. Then (here is the nice part), the site said based on the products, my distance from their facility, it offered me a choice if I wanted pre-paid Fedex ground, at a stupendous price of $9.98 ($8600 worth of stuff!!!). It offered me a Fedex label all pre-addressed, etc, to just put on the box. Each item is bubble wrapped and put in it's own box. Then those two boxes are in a larger third box packed also inside with bubble. When I opened the Tupperware tubs the results were very encouraging. The two drops inside the lens on the front element were gone. The condensation inside the rear element was gone. The camera viewfinder looked clear with no obvious condensation. Keep your fingers crossed. The box gets dropped off tomorrow (Sunday) at a Fedex drop off place, it should arrive at Fuji Tuesday.....then I wait.

Thanks a million for all your advice to me, it may have saved the day!

Dave Gurtcheff

Beach Haven, NJ

rdeloe

The GF 35-70 is excellent Dave. You'll enjoy having such a nice, small lens on your camera.

gurtch

Today I got a quote from Fuji: Camera body -- $598 to "rebuild the top construction", I don't know exactly what that means, but I approved it.

32-64 lens: $1379, the repair estimate says "BER SWSM". When I spoke to the Fuji Repair Dept Rep he said that they would keep my lens and give me a new rebuilt lens. Given that the new lens cost me $2600, I approved it but was shocked by the price.

All in all, so far I am pleased with Fuji repair service, but final judgement will be when I see how my repaired/replaced items function.

At 86, I didn't need this expense, but photography gives me great pleasure.

Thanks all for the help and encouragement.

Dave Gurtcheff

Beach Haven, NJ

buildbot

Today I got a quote from Fuji: Camera body -- $598 to "rebuild the top construction", I don't know exactly what that means, but I approved it.
Hopefully you don’t have my experience and have it changed to 3000+ a week into the repair :(

gurtch

I found out "BER" means "Beyond Economical Repair". Also here is a follow up response from the Fuji Tech Rep:

Here is the reply from the Fuji Tech's email to me:

SWSM means "Swap With Same Model", which means your lens will be replaced for a "like new" lens (refurbished, but not used, replaced with factory stock lens). So your initial understanding was correct.

Thank You
FUJIFILM X SERIES | GFX

tsjanik

Dave, I'm glad to hear the camera will be fine and sorry about the lens. You are certainly not alone when it comes to a misstep with equipment. I once left my 645D outside on a tripod for a period, when, it seems, the summer sun was directed at the eyepiece. What was a rectangular image in the viewfinder acquired wavy edges. I assume from an adhesive or sealant that got too hot.
I recently was in Beach Haven to visit in-laws. Lovely place and I recommend seeing the musical Something Rotten if you have not already done so.
BTW, you can regenerate silica gel in a 300F oven for a few hours. Microwave works too and you can see the water vapor leaving if you remove it a bit early.
Tom

gurtch

Hey Tom: If ever in Beach Haven again, please contact me. I will show you all my favorite photo sites. Also please visit Buckalew's Bar & Restaurant in Beach Haven,. At last count they had about 70 of my big matted and framed LBI prints, very many made with medium format. Biggest is 30"x36". Here is an iconic Beach Haven view made with Pentax 645D that is no longer there. There are now condos in the backgroundD497-1A framed.jpg.
Very best regards from LBI
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com

gurtch

The camera and lens arrived today. The lens "looks like" brand new to me! Georgous, it really must be new. When I registered it on line with serial number, and the (required) uploaded receipt, it listed the lens as having a one year warranty. Another pleasant surprise is the camera repair was not the original $600 amount, but $240. I spent the afternoon renewing all the camera settings, all the way down to time zone location, date and time, etc, plus all the settings I had made (and forgot which ones I chose and why!) I just shot some quick shots to test the camera and reconditioned 32-64, and used my new 35-70 for the first time (YES I managed to shoot without an aperture ring!). Best regards to all and thanks all for all the help and encouragement.

Happy Camper.....

Dave Gurtcheff

Beach Haven, NJ

www.modernpictorials.com