The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Smoothjazz

Kinya,

Really great images!! I was curious about your using the Canon wide-angle lenses. Do they cover the entire medium format sensor, or is their cropping of the edges involved? I see you also use a 40mm Rodenstock; any advantage of using the Canon lenses vs the Rodenstock, perhaps with stitching?
I have an XF camera, and wonder if there is an adapter for Canon ts lenses to use-anyone know?

Southwest Road trip image #17 (The Last)

Mesquite Sand Dunes, Death Valley, California

Hiked a mile and half to find pristine sand patterns at this popular sand dunes. It was fortunate that thin clouds covered the sun to provide high intensity back lit condition in this morning.

This is the last upload from my trip to Southwest and Southern California in November 2018. Thank you for watching and encouragement.

Kinya

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
Rodenstock HR70mm
Focus Stacked (3 images)

algrove

Lou, I dunno. You tell me. Maybe it shouldn't be posted here?
A technical camera to most of us is an Alpa, Cambo, etc. These are manual focus instruments often with Rodenstock or Schneider lenses. If you used your GFX50S body on a technical camera then it would be best to note it here.

Last edited:

Kinya28

Kinya,

Really great images!! I was curious about your using the Canon wide-angle lenses. Do they cover the entire medium format sensor, or is their cropping of the edges involved? I see you also use a 40mm Rodenstock; any advantage of using the Canon lenses vs the Rodenstock, perhaps with stitching?
I have an XF camera, and wonder if there is an adapter for Canon ts lenses to use-anyone know?
Smoothjazz,
Thank you.

Though it is obvious, advantage of using Canon lens are
1. Image circle is large enough (barely) to cover full size medium format sensor
You can get ultra wide angle (especially with 17mm) image with reasonable cost
2. 17mm is the widest full frame medium format lest, as long as I know

Disadvantage are,
1. Image circle are just large enough to cover full frame and no room for movement
2. Not as sharp as good tech camera lenses, including HR40mm you mentioned, especially at corners.

I found advantages over take disadvantages, I could capture images I have never taken with medium format camera before.

Not sure I understand your question regarding HR40mm vs Canon TS-E but you can get ultra wide image with single shot with Canon TS-E, you need shift and swing multiple shots and combine in PC if you want to take ultra wide with HR40mm, if successful.

I don't know anything about Canon adapter for XF but I guess XF flange depth are too long to make adapter.

Kinya

algrove

Kinya28

Wonder how the HR 23 stacks up against your Canon 17mm AFA FOV and Image Circle are concerned? The 23 is about a 15mm 35 equivalent from what I hear on a 44x54 sensor. But movement is limited to about +/- 2mm so perhaps that's the issue.

Kinya28

Kinya28

Wonder how the HR 23 stacks up against your Canon 17mm AFA FOV and Image Circle are concerned? The 23 is about a 15mm 35 equivalent from what I hear on a 44x54 sensor. But movement is limited to about +/- 2mm so perhaps that's the issue.
In my opinion, Canon 17mm is a specialty lens (FOV standpoint) and nothing else can replace when you need ultra wide angle, though rarely encounters.
If I have to pick one, I would take HR23 over Canon TS-E option, especially with 150mp sensor. I've never tried HR23 but assuming similar image quality as other HRs.
I hope I can own HR23 someday but getting IQ4150 is my priority at this moment.

Kinya

drunkenspyder

In my opinion, Canon 17mm is a specialty lens (FOV standpoint) and nothing else can replace when you need ultra wide angle, though rarely encounters.
If I have to pick one, I would take HR23 over Canon TS-E option, especially with 150mp sensor. I've never tried HR23 but assuming similar image quality as other HRs.
I hope I can own HR23 someday but getting IQ4150 is my priority at this moment.

Kinya
I think this is correct. I have both the Canon and HR23. The Canon is great for some extreme POV effects, but the HR23 seems to resolve better, and I like its color better. I have not tried either with my IQ4 yet though.

bomzi

181012_Finland Embassy_7593.jpg

Embassy of Finland, New Delhi
Designed by Reima and Raili Pietila 1963
Renovated by ALA Architects 2018

The wall relief sculpture is by Rut Bryk

Arca Swiss RM3Di
SK 35xl
Phase One P45+

bomzi

181008_Finland-Embassy_7126.jpg

Rear facade