The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why did you buy your latest camera?

Shashin

I buy a camera because I think it is cool (and won't make me look fat). Yeah, I can give all sorts of technical justifications to buy it--my financial application to the family COO demands it--but the long and the short of it is that it simply appeals to me. The rest are just details. I can work with those.

Paratom

I am in the process to buy a M11 Monochrom.
Why? I used one for some months as a betatester. I believe some of the images I got with it had a very special tonality and IQ.
But I told myself for some months now that I can achieve the same with converting from a good color sensor (which is probably possible).
I still miss it.
I hope and think, that it will motivate me and inspire me to learn more about b+w. Well knowing it is luxury to spend so much money on a b+w only camera.

lookbook

... I bought it because it had twice as many megapixels as the previous camera!
actually, the 50 mp of the old camera would have been enough
25 mp would have been enough!
: )

Last edited:

PeterA

I have been looking for a good reason to ditch my 50 Noctilux for a few years- swapping it for a new X2D was a no-brainer.
Not so sure about ditching the M11 - I am looking for a nice M10M to replace it.

iiiNelson

I’d been contemplating selling a lot a gear for awhile to return to Leica M once the Monochrom was released. Got a smoking deal on the M11 version… still haven’t sold any gear yet. Now I’m debating between the SL3, X2D, and M11P for a color camera to replace my S1R.

bensonga

Since this is not a Leica only question, in lieu of buying a Cambo Actus system (for now at least) I bought two more Canon TS-E lenses (the latest 50 and 90 macros, I already had the 24 II). I had every intention of using these lenses with my 5DS R and live view. Then Canon offered a $900 rebate on the mirrorless R5. Knowing how much easier it is to use shift and tilt/shift lenses on a mirrorless body (having used such lenses on my Fuji 50R and Panasonic S1R), I bought the R5. So I bought the camera specifically to use with those lenses. No regrets.

The Actus is still temping me…..

Gary

Paratom

I just sold my X2d system (3 lenses still left). WHile it delivers the best color of the bunch IMO and beautiful IQ, I find the SL system to be more flexible and faster to use.
Also the SL gives the advantage to be able to use those M lenses as well (for users of both systems), with focal plane shutter. Still not allways happy with the SL2-S color though.

BigBoy

I’d been contemplating selling a lot a gear for awhile to return to Leica M once the Monochrom was released. Got a smoking deal on the M11 version… still haven’t sold any gear yet. Now I’m debating between the SL3, X2D, and M11P for a color camera to replace my S1R.
I say I get the S4 when it arrives; it will be the best medium format camera with the best lens outside Phaseone.

BigBoy

How do you define best?
Best to me means the company's history dealing with Medium Format, menu ui, sensor size, megapixels, lenses, price, stability of the company, and software support.

1. Fujifilm - A great system to get into if a smaller sensor and leaf shutter lenses do not concern you. Best value 100mp can be had for $3500-$4500
2. Phaseone - Best sensor size and megapixels. Other than that this company is far behind other camera systems with ibis and mirrorless how long can they get away with this?
3. Hasselblad - Best color, menu ui, native mirrorless medium format lenses until leica maybe? I know color is subjective, but I still choose this camera with the best color.
4. Leica - Once Leica creates the S4, I think it will become number 1 on my list because it ticks all of my boxes if they don't blunder their lenses like last time.
5. Pentax - This company is dead

Godfrey

Hmm. My most recent camera purchase was a NONS Camera InstaxSQ back for my Hasselblad 500CM. I bought it because I like working with instant film, and I'd tried and failed to create my own InstaxSQ back. NONS Camera did it very nicely.

Bronze Horse at Triton Art Museum - Santa Clara 2024
Hasselblad 500CM, CF Makro-Planar 120mm f/4
NONS Instax SQ back
Fuji InstaxSQ B&W film
ISO 800 @ f/16 @ 1/250
Scan with Hasselblad 907x + XV adapter + 32E extension tube + Planar 80/2.8 T*

... But "Because I wanted it and it looked cool" is as good a reason as any. :)
G

dchew

I placed an order for the SL3. I have an M11M with a few lenses and an a7rv. Although the Sony does fine, it doesn’t resonate with me and just doesn’t feel right. I will slowly build lenses, starting with the 24-90, 90-280 and 75. I will need something wide to go with my 28 m-lens. Not sure if that will be the 21, 35 or both.
Dave

darr

An ALPA STC. Because I missed the Max's movements, I traded off a few years ago, but not the weight.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My latest medium format camera was the Fuji GX680 III due to its movements. It was mainly used for industrial interior. I sold it because the 50 mm lens wasn't wide enough for what I currently do, which is mostly yacht photography. Also, film bracketed (a must for yacht interiors) with 10 shots per roll became impractical and expensive.

My latest "other" camera is the Panasonic G9, which I can use for anything from backyard cats to Hollywood blockbusters, but which has the disadvantage of no available shift lenses.

So my next camera will probably be whatever full frame body with a flip-out or fully articulated screen is available at an acceptable price to use with the Laowa 15 mm shift lens.

algrove

I just sold my X2d system (3 lenses still left). WHile it delivers the best color of the bunch IMO and beautiful IQ, I find the SL system to be more flexible and faster to use.
Also the SL gives the advantage to be able to use those M lenses as well (for users of both systems), with focal plane shutter. Still not allways happy with the SL2-S color though.
The SL3 displays M lenses beautifully. I posted a n 18mm M lens on M11 and SL3 on Fm "Using M lens on SL..."