The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z9

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This guy knows his way around Nikons:

"... that's all we know..." ha ha, and where did he get that hi-res image?

Interesting guy in any case.

KeithL

I bought into Nikon and the Z7 simply because it is a compact and lightweight FF 46 MP system.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jorgen, at least it should be thinner :) That said, the added size does not bother me in a pro body, especially if I want those features.

pegelli

As always there's no "one size fits all"

People who need or dearly want a bigger pro style body with an integrated grip this is great news

For all the people that don't mind the bigger body and want to enter or expand their Z ecosystem it's probably going to be a very capable camera but as always it will have plusses and minusses vs. the other top of the line competitors

For people who don't want a bigger body and/or integrated vertical grip (and this is the catagory I belong to) it's not the right body.

So my bottom line is that the Z9 adds to what the photography community needs most, i.e lots of choices.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I expect that there will also be a Z8, with the same design but without the vertical grip. The question is if the Z8 will get a D880 brother.

Nikon is working its way towards the top, towards where hey were with the D3/D300/D700 combo.

tcdeveau

I'm definitely not expecting the Z9 to be significantly smaller than the D6. Maybe it will be thinner but who knows. I'm just happier to see a bigger body that will provide better balance with some of the bigger lenses, and the integrated grip will be nice. My plan will be to use the Z9 with some of the bigger lenses, and the smaller Z6/Z6II/Z8 for the smaller lenses (currently have the Z6 but will probably upgrade it at some point). Hooray options.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Best of everything in one package is compelling, but I realize something has to give to get that and so I am not bothered by the size. My Z7's --even the lowly version 1's-- remain perfectly adequate for the types of imaging I do for landscape and travel. If I did any video, I'd own a Z6ii. If I did more wildlife, I'd own the D6. Wildlife is something I can see myself possibly getting back to, so the faster framerate with state of the art AF is what I'd be looking at from the Z9. But the Z7ii might actually be good enough for me, IDK until I try one, so will probably experiment later this year when they become more readily available and prices come down a few hundred bucks. If however the the Z9 replaces all of what the Z7 does and adds in even superior AF with fast framerate, then I might just head that direction instead. Of course I expect the Z9 will cost twice what a Z7ii costs, so there is that...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This image of the Z9 on top of the D6 fro Nikon Rumors shows quite good how small that Z9 might become.

If this is the case that is kind of the DREAM CAMERA SIZE (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

1615554964973.png

I could imagine shooting the Z9 mainly as a "fits all requirements and needs" machine and as I said continue using my Z7 (or if I find enough money) even an upcoming Z8 for casual shooting.

Last edited:

Photon42

I had to happen (the Z9), and I am very glad Nikon goes all-in with the Z system. I wonder even they will further advance the F-line anymore. Personally, I have no need for a larger body. Not even sure what I'd miss on the Z7 ... This thing seem to have been designed for my needs. What else I'd like to see: a better F-Lens adapter without the foot and screwdriver and AI functionality (will never happen, I reckon).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Me personally, I am still waiting for the Z7ii to get in stock as I think it will serve 99% of what I want to do with a camera; IOW I am going to get the Z7ii regardless of how good or big or bada$$ the Z9 or Z8 are -- that is assuming the Z7ii actually gets in stock before the Z8/9 get released :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder even they will further advance the F-line anymore.
I believe someone from Nikon stated a few months ago that there will be two new DSLR bodies this year. One will obviously be the replacement for the D850, with on-chip PDAF and probably more than 60MP. I wouldn't be surprised if it also came with very advanced video features, since it will probably share a lot of parts with the possible Z8. There was even some talk a bout a few new F-mount lenses.

It's important to remember that there are still many photographers who prefer optical viewfinders, and many are heavily invested in F-mount lenses. Although those lenses work just fine with a Z-body, there's something about that perfect fit with no adapter.

If there is a D880 in Nikon's future, I'm a candidate for that camera, as an alternative or supplement to a Z8 or Z9. I do often prefer an optical viewfinder, and for video, I increasingly use the LCD anyway.

KeithL

Truth is whatever the Z8 and Z9 turn out to be my Z7 bodies deliver all I need for my varied work including studio, still life, architecture, street and environmental portraiture. I'm far more likely to invest in lenses than bodies.

However I do applaud Nikon for the further development of the Z system. I'm hooked.

Last edited:

Photon42

I believe someone from Nikon stated a few months ago that there will be two new DSLR bodies this year. One will obviously be the replacement for the D850, with on-chip PDAF and probably more than 60MP. I wouldn't be surprised if it also came with very advanced video features, since it will probably share a lot of parts with the possible Z8. There was even some talk a bout a few new F-mount lenses.

It's important to remember that there are still many photographers who prefer optical viewfinders, and many are heavily invested in F-mount lenses. Although those lenses work just fine with a Z-body, there's something about that perfect fit with no adapter.

If there is a D880 in Nikon's future, I'm a candidate for that camera, as an alternative or supplement to a Z8 or Z9. I do often prefer an optical viewfinder, and for video, I increasingly use the LCD anyway.
I hear you on that. Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy my used d810 very much. But the finder of the Z7 is really great and the information shown there I feel is very useful. Plus - Autofocus is now a closed loop thing. There is no fine adjustment necessary to match two different optical paths: one for AF and one for the image. I took me a bit of time to fully accept the new body language for the Z line, but now I guess I am "there". I would just say the Z7 is certainly good enough for me with regards to the finder (and I know how a Leica S finder looks like). I guess you tried the finder already, but if not - do it. You may be in for a surprise.

tcdeveau

I can't find it but I thought I saw an interview with a Nikon manager somewhere stating that their focus is on mirrorless, at least for the time being.

Personally, I don't think it will be feasible for Nikon to keep up both F-mount/dSLR lines and the Z-system much longer moving forward, and it wouldn't surprise me if the D6 and D780 are their last dSLRs. Not sure about new F-mount lenses either, although Nikon Rumors has reported about at least a new 200mm f2 to replace the now-discontinued VRII version. I'm not rooting against their f-mount OVF line by any means, but I'm not sure the camera market on the whole is big enough these days to support both camera lines. Time will tell I suppose.

I've more or less come to the conclusion that I'm all mirrorless from here on out re: FF35mm. I still like using my wife's D800 from time to time, but 9.9 times out of 10 I end up picking up the Z6.

Darin Marcus

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can't find it but I thought I saw an interview with a Nikon manager somewhere stating that their focus is on mirrorless, at least for the time being.

Personally, I don't think it will be feasible for Nikon to keep up both F-mount/dSLR lines and the Z-system much longer moving forward, and it wouldn't surprise me if the D6 and D780 are their last dSLRs. Not sure about new F-mount lenses either, although Nikon Rumors has reported about at least a new 200mm f2 to replace the now-discontinued VRII version. I'm not rooting against their f-mount OVF line by any means, but I'm not sure the camera market on the whole is big enough these days to support both camera lines. Time will tell I suppose.

I've more or less come to the conclusion that I'm all mirrorless from here on out re: FF35mm. I still like using my wife's D800 from time to time, but 9.9 times out of 10 I end up picking up the Z6.
Nikon needs to do things that set them apart from other camera companies, things that strengthen their reputation as a company with "long lines". They are not Leica (who is apparently fine with three lens mounts, one of which doesn't even support AF), but they certainly aren't Sony. If they decide to only produce the latest technology, possibly the most profitable one, customers may as well buy Sony or Panasonic.

There are many examples of "classic technology" doing well long after a more modern, presumably superior technology has been presented. The Leica M has been mentioned, Technics turntables that were discontinued but are now sold in 7 different models (while the CD is dying or dead), rear-engined sports cars etc.

Transitions like the one from DSLR to mirrorless is mostly driven by marketing and profits, and only to little degree by customers' needs. When I found out that I couldn't any longer go to a local shop to buy a DVD to watch in the evening, and certainly not a DVD player, it annoyed me endlessly. I have no need to pay a multinational company a monthly fee to choose between a zillion movies that they have picked for me. Streaming technology is mostly good for Netflix and Spotify. Marketing tells us that it's good for us too.

Yes, I use mirrorless too, but I want to have a choice, and I want the choice between the latest DSLR and the latest mirrorless technology, I want them to be similar and compatible, like the Z6 and the D780. If it isn't, I'll choose a Panasonic mirrorless and a Pentax DSLR. I hope Nikon knows that. I think they do.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, on all that DSLR discussion I think Nikon does no longer have the muscles to do successful development in both DSLR and Mirrorless. This is why they choose Mirrorless because if not they would be gone from the market and/or sold to whoever company - like Olympus.

I loved DSLR till about 6 years ago but then mirrorless technology became so good that for me there is since then no longer the need or desire to go back. And I guess most people are thinking the same and this became a fact and is mirrored in the buying decisions of todays photographer/videographer decisions.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, on all that DSLR discussion I think Nikon does no longer have the muscles to do successful development in both DSLR and Mirrorless. This is why they choose Mirrorless because if not they would be gone from the market and/or sold to whoever company - like Olympus.

I loved DSLR till about 6 years ago but then mirrorless technology became so good that for me there is since then no longer the need or desire to go back. And I guess most people are thinking the same and this became a fact and is mirrored in the buying decisions of todays photographer/videographer decisions.
The D780 is mirrorless (Z6) technology in an SLR body. As long as there's money to be made from selling DSLR cameras, it doesn't take much muscles to develop the two in parallel. I'm quite certain that the D880 will be a Z8 in an SLR body, the best of both worlds except the mirror, the lens mount and the viewfinder which are obviously different. Choice is good!

Last edited: