The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zf

jduncan

I will say it's a go-out, shoot and don't spend much time in front of the computer type of deal.
I would have loved if they included film simulations, maybe in a partnership with Kodak.
I am thinking of going out with the camera, take pictures with a profile and a constraint, have happy accidents and plain accidents (just delete)
and get what I get. I normally use my F100 film camera for that, but it would be nice to have a digital version for longer, less expensive walks.

Matt Granger's preview:

Best regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Gerald Undone has done a not so serious review of the camera (below), where his photographer points out that this is the camera for those days when you want to go full retro, but still won't miss out on shooting high quality video when needed.

To me, this looks like a very solid offering from Nikon; compact but solid, retro but with all the high tech. This is a camera that could potentially replace my ageing Panasonic GX8 cameras, for the love of photography. It looks absolutely gorgeous! Very, very nice from Nikon.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Maybe I should add that to my arsenal.

The biggest issue for me is that the Z system lacks some nice, intriguing and small retro Z primes - like 2.0 or 2.8 24, 35, 50, 75, 85, 105, 135 and maybe also some small retro zooms.

jduncan

Maybe I should add that to my arsenal.

The biggest issue for me is that the Z system lacks some nice, intriguing and small retro Z primes - like 2.0 or 2.8 24, 35, 50, 75, 85, 105, 135 and maybe also some small retro zooms.
It will be nice, but Nikon is a small company that sells very little. It's not the Nikon of the D700 or D600 era. They really can't stretch thin the little R&D they have.
Also, they depend on the sensors on Sony so they have to pay a premium for them.

Maybe via a collaboration with Tamrom or something. Another option is releasing a Z adapter with a motor, allowing AF on all the vintage D lenses.

Best regards,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It will be nice, but Nikon is a small company that sells very little. It's not the Nikon of the D700 or D600 era. They really can't stretch thin the little R&D they have.
Also, they depend on the sensors on Sony so they have to pay a premium for them.

Maybe via a collaboration with Tamrom or something. Another option is releasing a Z adapter with a motor, allowing AF on all the vintage D lenses.

Best regards,
Actually I think Sigma would be the better solution for these type of small but still relatively fast AF primes, as they show for the L-Mount.

algrove

Looked on BH and the three Z mount lenses they list are only for APS-C sensors and the new Zf is FF.

algrove

OK, but I did not see your words " it would be wonderful if Sigma would offer lenses" as I did not realize Sigma does not offer FF Z lenses as I am not a Nikon owner. A friend tried 2 Sigma ART lenses on his Leica SL and found them much heavier than expected.

That said I now see the new 40/2.0 SE as an interesting small form factor option to begin with as a one body-one lens kit.

jduncan

Hi,
Matt Granger compared the AF performance against the Z8 and the Z6 II. It seems to be intermediate, but significantly better than the Z6 II but below the Z8/Z9 in terms of
response times and fluidity. If someone reading this is new to Nikon, the cameras will perform better than in the video because the Adamos feed consumes CPU.
He already updated the setup guide apparently.

Matt Granger extended tests and sample files :
Best regards,

biglouis

This is the first camera I've seen in a long while which actually elicits a desire in me to own one. Not sure why.
They say 'date your camera but marry your glass' and as a Fuji owner I could see being unfaithful with this body!
I've gotta handle one in the 'flesh' so to speak and see if the attraction is actually there.

LouisB

algrove

This is the first camera I've seen in a long while which actually elicits a desire in me to own one. Not sure why.
They say 'date your camera but marry your glass' and as a Fuji owner I could see being unfaithful with this body!
I've gotta handle one in the 'flesh' so to speak and see if the attraction is actually there.

LouisB
Understand.

Never dreamed I would have GAS for a new Nikon. I used to own the old film camera it was designed from so perhaps that also has me wanting to touch one-and therein lies the problem. Once touched it will be bought.