The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zf

Godfrey

I owned and used Nikon FM, FE2, and F3 for about 20 years so I know the longing, the nostalgia for things like those I enjoyed so much.
But I've moved on from that.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I also thought when switching to the L mount and Leica I would never again feel a desire for a Nikon - but I must confess I am contemplating to add a Zf one day with some cool Nikon Z lenses :cool:

Photon42

I still have the unpopular DF and will probably never sell it. For me it is the better camera because it looks and works alright with the F-mount lenses. Maybe the ZF would look nice with one of these nice Z-mount Voigtländer lenses.

raist3d

The thing that catches my attention of this camera is the super IBIS rating (8 stops), new IBIS around focal point tech, Z8 class AF, and super low light AF (at -10EV F1.2).

Given I do a lot of work at night, I thikn the 40mm F2.0 combo with the benefits of that super IBIS (on paper anyway), Z8 Class AF in low light does catch my attention though it's def. BIG and I generally prefer small cameras.

I still want to see/hold one and see how I feel about it.

Darin Marcus

I got to play with a production version of the Zf at our local camera store last week, during a visit of the Nikon rep. There are a few new technologies in the Zf that look interesting and useful to me - the new IBIS system and the pixel shift capability in particular.

However, the ergonomics are still problematic for me (similar to the Df). The camera had the SmallRig Handgrip on, which helped a lot, but I still prefer the modern shape of the Nikon cameras to the classic shape. The Df (which I still have and use) will probably be my first and last "retro" Nikon. But I am definitely looking forward to a Z6 III that incorporates these new technologies. I could even be happy with yet another 24MP sensor if it has a good pixel shift capability :D.

algrove

Sensor sounds a lot like the Leica SL2S where 24MP is plenty in todays world. I do like the grip with finger pockets on the Leica. The latest FW puts small squares over each eye giving you the choice to prioritize which eye is the main focus. Yes it is heavy, but a hand held, heavy camera helps me steady my shots.

spb

Staff member
My only issue with Nikon Z is I don't see any lenses with Aperture rings in the 24mm -90mm range. I hate the loss of aperture rings. Otherwise The Zf looks very nice indeed.

SrMphoto

My only issue with Nikon Z is I don't see any lenses with Aperture rings in the 24mm -90mm range. I hate the loss of aperture rings. Otherwise The Zf looks very nice indeed.
Voigtlander makes nice MF Z-mount lenses with aperture rings.

jduncan

Hi,
Got mine, and I am loving it.
The lack of custom buttons is limiting, I just set it to change the AF area mode, and it's good enough for me.
It's a fun little camera to walk around. Imagine quality and high ISO are fantastic. The easy-to-move in and out of B&W is a constant reminder to explore possibilities.

For most people waiting for a Z6 or Z7 camera with an Expeed 7 is a better option or go with the Z8 or a different brand, but the camera is a lot of fun and beautiful.

A friend was shocked when she learned the camera could take video. So it blends, it seems to be some kind of analog or old digital camera.

Best regards.

jlancasterd

I'd like advice on the best type of micro-SD card for this camera. I have a Delrin Devices 128GB Black SD card as the main storage, and have configured the micro-SD for back up.

I'm currently using a Kingston Canvas select plus card in the micro-SD slot, but am wondering if this is too slow to use with the Delrin. I don't do video with this camera.

jduncan

I'd like advice on the best type of micro-SD card for this camera. I have a Delrin Devices 128GB Black SD card as the main storage, and have configured the micro-SD for back up.

I'm currently using a Kingston Canvas select plus card in the micro-SD slot, but am wondering if this is too slow to use with the Delrin. I don't do video with this camera.
Hi,
I can't say if they are the best or not, but I love my Progrades. It's sad that Sandiks fall in such a way (ok Boeing is far worse): SD, Micro SD, and Cfexpress.
Not a single problem with them, but it's a few years.

Best regards.

jlancasterd

Hi,
I can't say if they are the best or not, but I love my Progrades. It's sad that Sandiks fall in such a way (ok Boeing is far worse): SD, Micro SD, and Cfexpress.
Not a single problem with them, but it's a few years.

Best regards.
Thanks – I'll check that brand out