Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cambo Actus and CFV-50c

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cambo Actus and CFV-50c

just got the Actus DB version today and am in the process of mounting lenses, etc, and will follow up with pictures later.
    the DB version differs a bit from the regular by adding a (removeable) riser beneath the front standard.
    Mine came set up for the hasselblad V mount back. For this Cambo provides a camera mount plate which can be clipped in to the camera in portrait or landscape orientation, leaving the back attached to the plate. (two flip levers on the camera are the releases) works great.

a few details so far:
    focus action has a quick slide and a fine focus, fine enough to set focus with a 28mm lens, using the mag function on the back. the lenses are mounted sans helicoid, and the 28 moves closest to the sensor at inf focus, yet still clears adequately, though i have still to test with tilts. there is a settable stop on the monorail, so you can position it to avoid collisions of rear element and sensor when the widest lens is at infinity

pair of levels supplied on camera

live view is essential, so CMOS is best.

all the movements are smooth and have click stops at zero, however:
    back standard: rise and fall are geared, but no scale, has detents every 5mm? of so. shifts also have detents and a scale but are push, no gears. both have locks. i think i can add a little scale
    front standard: tilt is goniometric (horizontal rotation axis near lens centerline), +/-5 degrees with scale, geared with detent at 0, and has no lock. same for swing, vertical rotation axis on lens centerline

bellows attaches with rare earth magnets, quite slick

bottom monorail has arca style grooves, fits right into my cube, and can slide toward/away to image, so setting nodal points for panos is easy

so far i am trying out the rodie 32 and 28 lenses, eventually will keep the 32 and will get a 60. (got the like new 28 in a trade (with cambo WRS mount), expecting to try it out, but thinking it will be too wide for me, even with the crop factor)

hooking up the CFV-50c is direct: sync cable from shutter to back, set back to flash sync; with live view enabled, you want the max aperture for better focus, so ND filters might help in bright light, but seemed to work fine. the rodie lenses are not as huge as i was expecting, and they are beauties

info will keep coming as i get more time
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Cambo Actus and CFV-50c

Interesting!
    Would like to see a picture of this set up if possible.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you'd like to make a comparison to the Arca Univeralis our office would be glad to host you. It would be good to see you again.

We're pretty psyched that both Arca and Cambo have come to market with view cameras truly rethought for digital. Their previous dSLR/DB options pale in comparison.

Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i did view the Universalis at photexpo in NYC; different approach; my preference was the Actus.

maybe better the Arca better addressed in it's own thread

Michiel:
    more camera pics to follow, hope to get outdoors with it over the weekend. still monkeying around with making staircases, so playing hookey has to wait a bit

noted a detail on the anti-collision stop: the way it is fitted, it only limits the motion of the quick focus sliding portion of the monorail, but not the slow focus portion. therefore, the way to set it is to run the slow focus all the way forward to it's stop, then carefully move the quick focus portion forward to achieve infinity focus, or close to it, then set the stop. might take a tweak or two so you can reach infinity, but this will prevent collisions.

also noted: the two wide angle lenses i am looking at have different back element extensions: the 32 surprisingly extends 1.8" and the 28 only 1.4", a difference larger than the focal length difference. when focused at inf. the 32 rear element will be about 1/2" closer to the sensor than the rear element of the 28. so set the stop for the closest rear element, not necessarily the widest angle lens
    Last edited by jlm; 12th February 2015 at 12:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i did view the Universalis at photexpo in NYC; different approach; my preference was the Actus.

Michiel:
    more camera pics to follow, hope to get outdoors with it over the weekend. still monkeying around with making staircases, so playing hookey has to wait a bit

noted a detail on the anti-collision stop: the way it is fitted, it only limits the motion of the quick focus sliding portion of the monorail, but not the slow focus portion. therefore, the way to set it is to run the slow focus all the way forward to it's stop, then carefully move the quick focus portion forward to achieve infinity focus, or close to it, then set the stop. might take a tweak or two so you can reach infinity, but this will prevent collisions.

also noted: the two wide angle lenses i am looking at have different back element extensions: the 32 surprisingly extends 1.8" and the 28 only 1.4", a difference larger than the focal length difference. when focused at inf. the 32 rear element will be about 1/2" closer to the sensor than the rear element of the 28. so set the stop for the closest rear element, not necessarily the widest angle lens

Good detailing John, especially regarding the setting the brake pedal (as I call it) with the fine focus set to the forward position.

Since you mentioned the close quarters for the sync post, I'll mention the angled sync post available from Cambo. There is also available an angled cable release port. (see attachments)

And Michael, in conjunction with John's user experience, the initial review I wrote up does have a quite a few detailed product images.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...es-review.html

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, John. I hope you can bring your new rig out to show at Lake Tahoe in April!

ken

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool rig - can't wait to see it. With MFDB usable live view the camera landscape opportunities have changed significantly for non dslr shooters.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm pretty stoked for this; finally a monorail view camera, digital with live view
    shades of yesteryear...toyo 4x5, tri-x, schneider 210, compendium, zone Vi dark cloth, workshop at an Oregon lighthouse,etc.
    Last edited by jlm; 12th February 2015 at 15:12.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

starting to monkey around in the shop with an alpa mount SK72
    205FCC/120 macro/CFV-50c

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

was able to spend some time over the weekend and made a lens "board" for the Actus that will accept a standard Alpa mount lens. Using the 72 shown above. With this fitted to the Actus using the stock lens board mounting, you can fit any alpa mounted lens, leaving the focusing helicoid attached and functional as a redundant fine focus (distance scale not usable, of course.) will be investigating how wide a lens will work, but so far, it looks like the 28 will work,

next go will be same thing but for a standard Cambo WRS mount lens, a bit more difficult than the Alpa, surprisingly.

will show some pictures tomorrow
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

...and just in time for show and tell in Lake Tahoe!

https://captureintegration.com/don-k...in-lake-tahoe/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, understood this is Actus DB thread. However, would appreciate if you please let us know why your preference was Actus over Universalis (for educational purpose only).

Universalis can take MFDB as well as DSLR/mirror less and it takes only few minutes to switch. What are the options with Actus DB to use with DSLR / mirror less as well?

Actus DB definitely cheaper than Arca Universalis, however anyone published side by side features?

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like

Probably better in a separate thread (Actus vs Universalis), but from what I've seen and read ... well you gotta love the size of this thing, and (body) only 1kg:

For use outdoors with a CMOS DB, the Actus looks great. If I was mostly shooting inside, with occasional outdoor use, I guess the Arca offering is worth a look at.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

see how they provide a recessed lensboard? unnecessary, even with a 28mm lens and the recess interferes with fit a cable release and the sync cable to the back.

i'm making flat boards as well with the standard mounting hole for a copal O shuttered lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to have to put this thread on my ignore list now that John has made an Alpa mount for the Actus ...

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I for one would be interested in the Cambo mount....!!!
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I'm going to have to put this thread on my ignore list now that John has made an Alpa mount for the Actus ...
    John is actually using your and Steven Gilbert's former ALPA lens to build the Actus ALPA plate for your current ALPA lens. I believe you have accumulated quite a bit more of the ALPA lens recently and there simply not enough homes (cameras) to accommodate them all.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    I for one would be interested in the Cambo mount....!!!
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PSon View Post
    +1

+2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wonder there will be a way to put Arca 110mm boards on this

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a prediction. If John had an Arca mount lens board, he'd be able to engineer what you're after

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a prediction. If John had an Arca mount lens board, he'd be able to engineer what you're after
    Ah, but then I'd be turning off this thread too

In all seriousness, if there is a viable shutter solution for the Canon 17TSE, I would seriously consider it.

Now that Arca has a 110mm lens board that takes the R-mount lenses, it would be super flexible. Oh wait, then I'd be looking at FF CMOS backs.....Stop the insanity, i think I'll use my time wisely and go process some LCC's for now!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

shown is a SK72/Alpa mount fitted to the Actus using my custom Alpa lens board. once the board is in place, any alpa mount lens can pop on. tried it with a SK60 and SK34 as well (courtesy of fotocare) lenses like the SK72, shown, with the longer front extension, move the standards close together. can still focus at infinity, but a happier fit is with the alpa short barrel mounts.

and the board itself, Alpa side (standard magnets on the back to hold the bellows:
    Last edited by jlm; 19th February 2015 at 15:53.
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome John, can't wait to see the Cambo version..!
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I like the look of the Actus, but the title of this thread also mentions the CFV-50c... Being a sucker for "camera erotica", how about some pics and talk about using this back with such a combo?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

expect to get some shootin' in this weekend.

so far, the live view and movements are really swell

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant news! I'm always keen to hear how people find the CMOS sensor with movements. I'm testing a CFV-50c on my Linhof Techno myself this week, so hope I can contribute some good info back to the community soon...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

got over the hump with the Cambo WRS mounted lens to fit actus. had to digitize the curved shape and get the pocket machined to fit.

barely had time to sneak in one picture, taken at chez moi: Rodie 32, with some swing

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

almost there...this is the fully machined prototype; needs black anodizing, that will happen next week as i am off traveling for a bit.

shown is a Rodie 28mm, Cambo WRS mount fitted to an Actus using my mount. will focus to infinity and has full movements.

Last edited by jlm; 25th February 2015 at 15:19.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

almost there...this is the fully machined prototype; needs black anodizing, that will happen next week as i am off traveling for a bit.

shown is a Rodie 28mm, combo WRS mount fitted to an Actus using my mount. will focus to infinity and has full movements.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post

I couldn't have said it better!
    +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice work - just need an Arca-Swiss 'R' mount board and the set is complete.

(I wonder how long it will be until Cambo notice this thread and come out with their own versions...)

Post Thanks / Like

Actually-----It wouldn't be the first time that *ahem* a manufacturer noticed John's work. Indeed, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

You know it's coming---hope they throw you a bone.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Perhaps, but it's not as rewarding as a check.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is the finished combo mounted lens adapter, with the 28mm rodie

i am making these adapters available on my site:
    JLM Milich Specialized Camera Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fantastic! Jim, can I send someone your way?

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Post Thanks / Like

Now... How about that R mount adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to bring your adapters along to Capture Integration in Lake Tahoe next month. Dave Gallagher needs to see them.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he does.
    Chris Valites
    Research, Marketing & Support, Capture Integration
    Email-Me

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the cambo adapter:

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We also need adapter for Arca R mount. What's the MOQ?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MOQ?
    minimum order quantity or metaphysics of quality (courtesy of S gilbert)

probably do production runs of five pieces
    Last edited by jlm; 12th March 2015 at 12:59.

Post Thanks / Like

The adaptors are brilliant, buy I want to see more photos made with the back and camera combination!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

me too; had a nasty winterhere in NYC, snow piles black with debris, cigarette butts and dog s. just now going away. will get out this weekend

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

first day of spring and NYC gets 5" snow; melting today.

just noticed you can see two of my several shop windows in the far building behind the traffic light: next-to-top floor, left corner and next to it

rodie 32, some tilt, some swing, no LCC applied.
    Last edited by jlm; 21st March 2015 at 10:32.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

32, no movements, no corrections

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

brooklyn war memorial; about 10mm shift (then cropped the top) had a bit of magenta in the upper left that an lcc would have corrected easily.

32mm with the shift

all of these with the Actus, focusing with live view in quite bright conditions. I use the rodie 3cm x 3 cm, 3x loupe to shield the lcd and magnify

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

no cf used (I'm too cheap; thought i would see how it goes first)

i'm interested in the loaner lens;

pm me

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John, could you do this for an Linhof Technika lens board too? I've think there are a lot of old lenses with Technika boards in the wild..
    Thank you.
    Best Cyron