Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phase to buy Leaf from Kodak.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase to buy Leaf from Kodak.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkania View Post
    No one can say that Leica is an open system for example. But Hasselblad is still accused for doing that, while Leicaphiles have not noticed that for Leica's strategy.
    A minor correction: everyone knows and has noticed that Leica is closed. No problem. So is Canon et al.

The problem with Hasselblad is that they were open, and then went closed. A lot of people were using Phase backs on H2 cameras back then, and after this move, they could no longer move forward in that direction. Some went to Hasselblad, some stuck with Phase and used another body. No one was happy to lose the option with no warning, especially those who preferred hybrid systems.

*That* is the problem, not simply being closed.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Having experienced the great freedom of "open" systems with Phase last week, I only can say I will never return to a closed system like Leica or Hassi.

Although I must admit that Phase is also closing their system a bit, at least if it comes to the Phase camera and their backs - seems to become similar to Hasselblad.

But Phase is still the most open system overall!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    The backs with adapter systems are the most open of all (Sinar eMotion/eSprit and Hasselblad CF)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    The backs with adapter systems are the most open of all (Sinar eMotion/eSprit and Hasselblad CF)
    are the CF backs continued (don't know...)? Is there a Contax mount for the new 50MP and 60MP Hasselblad backs?
    As to the eSprit65LV I can't find Contax or Mamiya mount an Sinars webpage (quote: "Camera interface: Sinar Hy6, Sinar m, Hasselblad V 500 series, Hasselblad H1/H2"). And regarding Sinar DBs we have to wait and see in how far production will be continued. Maybe Sinar backtracks to what they came from: the construction of excellent cameras.

The Phase backs are available for all existing platforms (including RZ, V, Contax, H1/2 ... well, except of H3 and Hy6) - sure, no adapter system, but at least users can buy a brand new back for their system (and can change mount within a certain amount of time for free).
    In this sense Phase is definitely the most open system (and BTW the AFI II is available for all platforms as well).
    With Phase and Leaf the two companies team up that both continued to produce for the existing market, not only for the newly developed own camera platform (like Hasselblad and Sinar).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    In this sense Phase is definitely the most open system
    Sorry but I didn't get your point at all. How can a back with a fixed mount be more open than a back which will fit on many mounts? You are right that the eSprit65LV no longer supports the Contax interface but the eMotion series does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry but I didn't get your point at all. How can a back with a fixed mount be more open than a back which will fit on many mounts? You are right that the eSprit65LV no longer supports the Contax interface but the eMotion series does.
    the point is that Phase continues to produce NEW PRODUCTS for camera systems that are still alive in the market (though discontinued in production). I can order the newest Phase backs (P40+/P65+) right now for my Contax (or RZ or whatever). The mentioned CF and eMotion backs are discontinued AFAIK. At least they are not the latest generation of backs from the respective company.
    Sole newest generation backs available for all plattforms are P40+/P65+ and AFI II.

Post Thanks / Like

The mentioned CF and eMotion backs are discontinued AFAIK. At least they are not the latest generation of backs from the respective company.
    The eMotion backs are current models, and still available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The eMotion backs are current models, and still available.
    in this sense the P25+ is a current model as well...
    There is no current replacement for the eMotion backs from Sinar, that's right.
    But the eMotion backs are not the latest generation of backs offered by Sinar - this is just the eSprit.

Post Thanks / Like

But the eMotion backs are not the latest generation of backs offered by Sinar - this is just the eSprit.
    The e75 is in its second generation, with larger LCD and improved high ISO performance. I don't know why you think the eMotion series is discontinued. Sinar certainly never made such a statement.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkania View Post
    However now the industry is reducing to 2 or 3 (Hasselblad, Phase, Leica-if succesfull) main groups, and if you notice, all are heading to closed system eventually. No one can say that Leica is an open system for example. But Hasselblad is still accused for doing that, while Leicaphiles have not noticed that for Leica's strategy. Now Phase is in the same process, but not there yet completely. If you buy all your open system competitors, then what is left?

The reason is the outstanding results that you get from a system, since lenses are designed accordingly, with compromises that may effectively be corrected with software, while improving the glass for other things. The result is just hard to beleive.
    I like the HCD28, which is uncomparible with anything I have used until now. The HCD35-90 similarly is better than any 35mm or Mamiya zooms I heve used in the past. These are not even comparible.

Therefore from now on, I have to agree that "clsed systems" may yield better results, despite being more expensive and difficult to upgrade. The moves that are being made by Phase also excites me, because they have to be the side to push for further developments (hopefully not for even more pixels, but for photographic quality too, as they have always done).

Having experienced the great freedom of "open" systems with Phase last week, I only can say I will never return to a closed system like Leica or Hassi.

Although I must admit that Phase is also closing their system a bit, at least if it comes to the Phase camera and their backs - seems to become similar to Hasselblad.

For what it's worth Hasselblad didn't need to disable 3rd party backs on the H3 to allow lens corrections. In fact the Capture One lens corrections for the HC glass which Hasselblad didn't purposefully lock (everything but the 28mm and 35-90mm) works every bit as good as the Phocus corrections (you can talk about enhanced metadata use all you want, but I dare you to show me a difference even at 100% views).

I strongly disagree that Phase is "heading to a closed system eventually".

Phase is still making, and will still make, service, and support new backs for Contax, Rollei 6008, Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Mamiya AFD 1/2/3, Mamiya RZ, as well as the Phase One Body. The backs have an integrated battery and can be moved without external accessories to any of dozens of view cameras and technical cameras, and the triggering mechanism is designed so that the back can be fired from ANY system on which it will physically mount provided that the system has a flash sync port (I've even seen Holga Phase systems). That integrated battery is a Canon-spec battery which can be purchased at any Wal Mart and is made by several off-brand makers. The raw file can be opened in C13, C14, PS, LR, RD, and RPP and can be converted to DNG to be opened in Aperture, Bibble etc. Furthermore the Phase One Body is an open platform that can accept backs from any current/legacy manufacturer which fits on a Mamiya body and can accept lenses from the Hasselblad V, Pentax 6, Hartblei, manual focus mamiya glass, 1st gen AF mamiya glass and Phase One digital glass. It also uses AA batteries which are about the least proprietary battery one can find.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The e75 is in its second generation, with larger LCD and improved high ISO performance. I don't know why you think the eMotion series is discontinued. Sinar certainly never made such a statement.
    I didnt't say that they are discontinued - I said they "are discontinued AFAIK. At least they are not the latest generation of backs from the respective company." So the AFAIK part might be wrong but the latest back (the eSprit) from Sinar is NOT made for ALL camera platforms. The latest backs of Phase (and Leaf) ARE made for ALL camera platforms. That simple.

David A

I've got a Bronica ETRSi, in the Leaf literature I can put one of their new backs onto it with an adapter plate, go into the software and let it know what the camera is, hook it up to the flash sync socket and use it. Phase One doesn’t mention Bronica at all even though it was a very popular system. Can a new Phase One back be fitted onto the back of a Bronica? Be it with an adapter plate.

David

Post Thanks / Like

The latest backs of Phase (and Leaf) ARE made for ALL camera platforms. That simple.
    No, there is no Hy6 mount for Phase, for example, and no Rollei 6008 mount for Leaf, and you really can't compare a fixed back to an adapter system. The adapter system is undeniably much more open and flexible, with no drawbacks. I don't understand why you would bother denying the obvious

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, there is no Hy6 mount for Phase, for example,
    certainly NOT beacuse Phase refused to make a Hy6 mount!!
    and no Rollei 6008 mount for Leaf
    there's also no H3 mount of Leaf and Phase... bit nitpicking here?

and you really can't compare a fixed back to an adapter system. The adapter system is undeniably much more open and flexible, with no drawbacks.
    That may be the case but now, again, we don't talk about the latest backs. Were is the Contax adapter for the eSprit?
    Sinar is obviously NOT commited to support all platforms (stupid idea if you are such a small player in the market....). Hassleblad is already a closed system.
    But Leaf and Phase support all platforms (...) to this day even with their newest products.
    I don't understand why you would bother denying the obvious ...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Phase One doesn’t mention Bronica at all even though it was a very popular system. Can a new Phase One back be fitted onto the back of a Bronica? Be it with an adapter plate.
    A Phase back can be used with literally any system which contains 1) a physical mount for Hassy H, Hassy V, Rollei 6008, Contax, or Mamiya AND 2) a sync port*. For instance we have a fair number of Fuji 680 users.

Our latest backs (40+ and 65+ don't require a wakeup cable) which makes using such bodies much easier to use. So in fact, in the last 12 months we have made it easier/better to use a Phase back with platforms other than the Phase One Body.

*The only exception I am aware of is the Hasselblad H3 and H2F. Hasselblad changed their firmware (from the H2 firmware) to prevent those bodies from firing unless a Hasselblad Film Back or Digital Back is attached.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Doug

Regarding the P40 and P65 not needing a wakeup cable...

Would you please describe how that works? In my head (which can be a very scary place at times) this makes me think all I'd need is a shutter release. Okay maybe too simple as you'd still need something going to the back to tell it to take the image - right? So the one-shot cable I'm currently using would still be required however I wouldn't have the 5 sec window? Am I at least partially correct?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,

The wake up cable is required for the P45+ because of the way Phase has the Kodak sensor "clear" in preparation for the next frame. A digital sensor has a residual energy memory, so it needs to be flushed prior to each new frame to provide a clear base for the next frame. When the back is mounted to a compatible camera, the shutter press accomplishes that clear (why there is a lag with MF capture) through onboard electronics used for AF and metering, but when on a non-dedicated camera is used the wake up is needed. The Dalsa sensors clear differently and are activated by the main shutter release across the shutter's flash synch port (but still clearing before capture and with similar lag) so don't need a dedicated clearing cycle.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

David A

So my ETRSi will probably need a wake up cable, but this is the thing that bugs me, Leaf backs need to know what camera they are attached to, do Phase One backs? Been as Bronica is not mentioned anywhere how will it know what it is attached to? The plate would be a V plate so would it be pretending to be a Hasselblad?

Now the real head scratching question, Why? Why do these backs need to know what they are attached to.

David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Were is the Contax adapter for the eSprit?
    Good question, but I guess the answer is that Sinar is a small company and they have to allot their time carefully. I expect that a Contax mount would be added if there was sufficient request.

I have just bought a Sinar e54LV, and am working my way through the ins and outs of the system, development, exposure, and so on. Nothing seems trivial, but I am making steady progress.

Thomas, I chose the Sinar in large part because I have both Hasselblad and Contax cameras. For an extra €600 or something I can use it on both. I just have to unscrew three screws, and swap adapters. For people who use systems with more than one mount this is a *huge* advantage. I don't have the means to own several backs right now, so the Sinar is simply the only game in town, apart from the very expensive CF backs.
    Last edited by carstenw; 26th June 2009 at 11:23.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now the real head scratching question, Why? Why do these backs need to know what they are attached to.
    So they can time the clearing and capture appropriately for the camera/shutter system in question...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

David A

So if the back doesn't know what it is attached to because it's not listed then can it still be used on something like the Bronica?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If it has a sync cable, I guess it can even be attached to nothing The Sinar Hasselblad adapter has no electronics, and just uses a sync cable, I am pretty sure. The back does have a setting for each camera though. I guess if the signal delay of the Bronica is similar to one of the other cameras, you could use it in that mode. Something to be researched for sure.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    My first post here and I thought let's respond in this thread

I'm a leaf photographer.
    I chose leaf because in my personal opinion it was the best choice for what I do (fashion/beauty/glamour), the support and coorperation I got from the leaf guys has been nothing short of amazing and something other companies can take an example off.

When the whole issue started I held my breath because I was afraid that Leaf would dissapear, especially due to the economical crisis.
    With Phase one jumping in and taking over Leaf I think the photographers that shoot with leaf are getting a very sweet deal, including all new photographers and Phase one photographers.

Ok the AFi is probably end of story although I would not rule that out.
    But if you want a good WLF camera there's always the amazing RZ67ProII although it doesn't have AF and handhelding the camera is "a task".

It would be much worse if Leaf would just stop excisting.
    I know some of the people personal and I think they can add a lot to phase One, and I think phase one can add a lot to leaf.
    In the future MAYBE both brands will melt together or maybe Leaf will always be a phase one brand within Phase one, time will tell.

For me the future is clear, I'm looking forward to the new Phase One camera, I own the AFD/III and although I like the camera it's been a bit of a problem camera for me, but I don't want to go into that here.....

At the moment the only worrying thing is IF phase one goes down we loose Mamiya, Leaf and Phase one......
    But let's not think about that and let's see it as, with Phase One owning Mamiya and Leaf we are ensured of a good platform to keep building.
    Also upgrading from Mamiya to Phase one or from Phase one to Leaf will be easier because it will be handled with the same distribution channels in the end.

So I see a lot of negative responses but I think phase one did a great job and I'm looking forward to see what the future brings....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

welcome frank. i hope to see you posting images here. you have shown some dazzlers on LL for sure

Post Thanks / Like

If you want I can always post some images in the future of course, although I'm cutting down a bit on posting images on too many fora

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    So they can time the clearing and capture appropriately for the camera/shutter system in question...
    And so that they can enable/ disable the contact boards as necessary (for communicating with the camera) and other mechanisms (e.g. the triggering pin on 500 series can be ignored or not etc.)

As Jack suggests, each camera has specific "timing" figures so the back comes equipped with a "reference table" to give the correct tolerances for each shutter speed; This means that someone at the factory has spent a couple of hours with a back on the specific camera and created that specific reference table. (one of my first assignments, believe it or not, almost 9 yrs ago, was to create those tables for the DigiFlex I...).

Oh and a big welcome to Frank it's good to see you here!

Yair

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Yair.
    Let's hope here the MF section stays a bit more civil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof View Post
    Thanks so much Yair.
    Let's hope here the MF section stays a bit more civil
    Welcome, Frank. Good to see you here.

This IS a very civil environment with really great participants. IMO there is no comparison to other fora in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

good to hear.
    Hope to hang arround alot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    I expect that a Contax mount would be added if there was sufficient request.
    I think that in the climate of the current market they simply refused to offer one. An adapter is not a big deal...
    Do you think they would make one for Mamiya as well, as they formerly did for the eMotion?

I have just bought a Sinar e54LV, and am working my way through the ins and outs of the system, development, exposure, and so on. Nothing seems trivial, but I am making steady progress.
    Congratulations! I wish you a lot of fun and great captures with your new system. And I'm sure you will get both.

Thomas, I chose the Sinar in large part because I have both Hasselblad and Contax cameras. For an extra 600 or something I can use it on both.
    yes, true! I definitely see the uspide of an adapter system! But Sinar seems to discontinue this strategy with their latest products. They did the same with the arTech in the beginning (and when I ask for Contax mount at Photokina they told me that they are not planing to offer one). Now, some month later... you can attach Phase backs on the arTech. Maybe some day it will be the same with the eSprit... at the latest when they start fire sale. But by now this is simply not the case. That's all what I was referring to.
    The opposite with Phase: they continue to produce even their newest products for (nearly) all platforms. My dealer never ask me if I am interessted in a Phase camera. He ask me if I am interessted in a P65+ for the Contax/Cambo ...

jingq

hi doug are you aware that the new H1/H2 firmware update allows the use of the HCD 28mm and 35-90mm lenses on those cameras?
    I didn't quite believe it but it's there in the technical notes of the new firmware update. I'm surprised they didn't make more news abou tit

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    For what it's worth Hasselblad didn't need to disable 3rd party backs on the H3 to allow lens corrections. In fact the Capture One lens corrections for the HC glass which Hasselblad didn't purposefully lock (everything but the 28mm and 35-90mm) works every bit as good as the Phocus corrections (you can talk about enhanced metadata use all you want, but I dare you to show me a difference even at 100% views).

I strongly disagree that Phase is "heading to a closed system eventually".

Phase is still making, and will still make, service, and support new backs for Contax, Rollei 6008, Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Mamiya AFD 1/2/3, Mamiya RZ, as well as the Phase One Body. The backs have an integrated battery and can be moved without external accessories to any of dozens of view cameras and technical cameras, and the triggering mechanism is designed so that the back can be fired from ANY system on which it will physically mount provided that the system has a flash sync port (I've even seen Holga Phase systems). That integrated battery is a Canon-spec battery which can be purchased at any Wal Mart and is made by several off-brand makers. The raw file can be opened in C13, C14, PS, LR, RD, and RPP and can be converted to DNG to be opened in Aperture, Bibble etc. Furthermore the Phase One Body is an open platform that can accept backs from any current/legacy manufacturer which fits on a Mamiya body and can accept lenses from the Hasselblad V, Pentax 6, Hartblei, manual focus mamiya glass, 1st gen AF mamiya glass and Phase One digital glass. It also uses AA batteries which are about the least proprietary battery one can find.

jingq

every day I use a H camera I'm more convinced of Hasselblad's direction.
    I used a AFDII with a Leaf 75S recently for an ad job, and spent 2 minutes each time trying to focus the damn thing properly wide open for the right look. Take a shot, wait for preview, check focus.

I recently started using a H3DII and Phocus works wonderfully. Controlling the focusing on a camera using the software? live view that I don't need to buy some adapter for? Focus confirmation on the live view?
    Amazing!

I don't really see the big deal about having an "open" system
    I just want a system that works smoothly, with lenses that fit my needs.
    Hasselblad's the only one with a zoom lens that actually fits the range that I use 90% of the time (equivalent of about 25-60mm on 35mm)
    oh and have you seen the LCD on the H3DII? beats the crap out of the Leaf screen. and have you timed how fast you can zoom into the image on that LCD? try that with a Leaf. Let's not even talk about Phase One's screen.

A camera that ensures correct focus (a slightly off-focus medium format digital photo = fuzzy useless mess), that works without errors, that has the right focal lengths, that's what matters to me.

I'll willingly sacrifice the "look" of a lens in exchange for a camera that makes sure I don't miss a moment of the subjects I'm photographing

to Phase one: I got tired of waiting for Mamiya's leaf shutter lenses.
    I got tired of using a crappy 55-110mm zoom lens.
    I got tired of a crappy 35mm lens.
    Work on your camera system.worry about your digital back innovations later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So if the back doesn't know what it is attached to because it's not listed then can it still be used on something like the Bronica?
    you can attach a Phase Back on a shoe box as pinhole camera. You just need something to release via flash sync.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you can attach a Phase Back on a shoe box as pinhole camera. You just need something to release via flash sync.
    Yep. You could use the wake-up release and just use a penny to short across the pc connector for as long as you wanted your exposure to last
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jingq View Post
    hi doug are you aware that the new H1/H2 firmware update allows the use of the HCD 28mm and 35-90mm lenses on those cameras?
    I didn't quite believe it but it's there in the technical notes of the new firmware update. I'm surprised they didn't make more news abou tit

Only for Hasselblad digital backs.

Steve Hendrix
    Phase One

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jingq View Post

I don't really see the big deal about having an "open" system
    I just want a system that works smoothly, with lenses that fit my needs.
    I agree with these two points 100%. Of course my solution is different than yours, but that's irrelevant -- we chose based on our needs.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep. You could use the wake-up release and just use a penny to short across the pc connector for as long as you wanted your exposure to last
    :-)
    BTW: this is exactly the trick how to do long exposures with the Contax (what is not possible "by default" due to limitations of the Contax). Just put a sheet of thin paper onto the camera contacts to disrupt communication from camera to back. Connect wake up cable with flash sync and you can shoot at any time the back is capable of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof View Post
    Hi,
    My first post here and I thought let's respond in this thread
    +1 another welcome to the forum Frank!
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

The wake up cable is required for the P45+ because of the way Phase has the Kodak sensor "clear" in preparation for the next frame. A digital sensor has a residual energy memory, so it needs to be flushed prior to each new frame to provide a clear base for the next frame. When the back is mounted to a compatible camera, the shutter press accomplishes that clear (why there is a lag with MF capture) through onboard electronics used for AF and metering, but when on a non-dedicated camera is used the wake up is needed. The Dalsa sensors clear differently and are activated by the main shutter release across the shutter's flash synch port (but still clearing before capture and with similar lag) so don't need a dedicated clearing cycle.

Cheers,
    So - if I connect a P40 or P65 for my Cambo then all I'd need to do is turn the back on and connect in a shutter release to the lens? No cables running between lens and back? Similar in setup to having film back on? [yeah I know there's no film back for a WRS ]

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    So - if I connect a P40 or P65 for my Cambo then all I'd need to do is turn the back on and connect in a shutter release to the lens? No cables running between lens and back? Similar in setup to having film back on? [yeah I know there's no film back for a WRS ]

Don
    Not entirely -- you still need a trip cable from the shutter's flash post to the back to turn it on at the beginning of the exposure and off again after the exposure, but you don't need the intermediary wake-up switch.
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I "think" I understand the concept just not the real work application. Don't understand how the back talks with the lens to know when the shutter has been released for the sensor/back to activate and capture the image. I still see (in my mind) the need for some type of connection running between the lens and back.

Okay head hurts - going back to work sorting images....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don:

The flash post on your leaf-shuttered lenses is a simple switch. It is "off" until the shutter is pressed, stays "on" for as long as the shutter is open, then turns "off" again as soon as the shutter is closed. The back simply operates off that switch...
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know the old saying a picture is worth a whole bunch? This someone can help illustrate this?

Thanks Jack - looks like we double posted there ...

If I follow you correctly then I'd still need to use my one-shot.

Don

My apologies for taking this thread off on a tangent.

Just posted and saw Jack's response
    Last edited by Don Libby; 26th June 2009 at 15:03. Reason: Jack's response ...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix/Phase One View Post
    I know, and don't forget Shaquille O'neal traded to the Cavs...

I don't think I can take any more - way too much for one day. And I still have the NBA draft tonight (I'm a basketball fan).

Steve Hendrix
    Phase One
    Geez Steve and I reside in Phoenix, wanted to bury my head when I saw that one. What really get's me is two years ago we had a great team ready to finally get the golden ring. Now we have a a team that can't get in the playoffs and a GM with is fist up his _ _ _ . Don't get me started huge NBA and Suns fan but i will NOT be running out to buy tickets and a lot of folks feel the same way.

Okay back on topic. Been busy the last couple days and have not been on the forum much but some strange comments about this on the forums. Funny thing is I had every back Phase sells for 5 days last week and not a issue and not a complaint from anyone trying them. I think folks need to go out and get some real hands on shooting with this stuff. Than again maybe I just like shooting and not complaining about it. Sure we need a new body and the first one in line to get one but so does Nikon, Canon , Sony, Hassy and any other MF body out there. Anyway back to cleaning my camera , lens and back just walked out a door to a guy with a paint sprayer that liked spraying everything but the wall. Nailed me. LOL. I now have a speckled Phase One system. And after being in the 108 degree heat for 7 hours feeling pretty beat up.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

What I have seen last week in the workshop is, that I really like the Phase backs and also the lenses I would use for the system - 28, 75-150, 150. Even the 35, although obviously an old construction works pretty nicely, if you use digital correction. I could not see what Hassi and Leica glass could do really better.

What could be improved is the camera body itself, as I find some of its controls and buttons a bit less ergonomic. And it could have a larger handgrip for my hands, which BTW could then take maybe the same battery as the back or also AA batteries, so you would have the freedom for batteries.

And yes, Leaf Shutter would be good with some lenses, but this will come I am convinced and I personally do not need this feature really, so no issue for me.

But what is finally the great thing about Phase is their backs and their software! They play together in a perfect way and allow easy and wonderful handling of the digital files - during shooting and in post processing. And having a separate battery in the back makes it's use on a tech camera pretty easy. Try the same with a Hassi back, you need to find a cumbersome way of powering your unit - not what I really like because it introduces cables between tech camera and the power source. So also here Phase leads in my opinion. And not to speak about IQ, and leadership in new technologies WRT backs -Phase clearly leads the market there!

Put that all together and it gives the resulting flexible and high quality system which is hard to find outside Phase.

Just my 5c .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And not to speak about IQ, and leadership in new technologies WRT backs -Phase clearly leads the market there!

Put that all together and it gives the resulting flexible and high quality system which is hard to find outside Phase.
    Peter, I think this is a bit of a stretch.
    IQ wise all MFDBs are very, very good (at least what I've seen of different backs). Mamiya lenses are very good but so Hasselblad, Zeiss, Schneider... are.
    As to "usability" there are different approaches. Adapter systems, revolving backs, revolving chips, LCDs, multishot... all that makes a lot of sense but can't be found on a Phase back. Okay, if you look very carefully you may discover a LCD on a Phase back as well, but...

ddk

That's an idea, a pinhole camera with live view, now lets visit the wife's closet!

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Anyway back to cleaning my camera , lens and back just walked out a door to a guy with a paint sprayer that liked spraying everything but the wall. Nailed me. LOL. I now have a speckled Phase One system. And after being in the 108 degree heat for 7 hours feeling pretty beat up.
    OUCH!

I admire your sense of humor Guy.

Post Thanks / Like

While on the subject of Pinhole.... Back when I was in school I turned my Arca into a Pinhole camera by simply taping the pinhole aperture (in bronze shim) to a copal 0 lens board. This gave me a zoom lens pinhole (simply rack the standard to change focal length) with the ability to shoot polaroid. The same setup could be used easily for digital pinhole.

I think I'm going to have to try this with my P65+.

Don, did you get sync figured out on the P40/65? You still need a sync cable going from the lens to the back, but now it doesn't have to be a Wakeup/One-shot cable. The new backs constantly have a little power trickling in (as I was told) so that wakeup is immediate.

-C

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    OUCH!

I admire your sense of humor Guy.
    Thanks. All you can say on those things is **** happens. I have it cleaned up pretty good . The one area is the 45mm filter threads i need to get some Q tips and work some out. But the glass and barrel is all fine. The body cleaned up nice. Just used windex and paper towel and it all came off easy.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com