The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Hi Ray
It bothers me that it's 60% more expensive in the UK than it is in the US - that's a lot extra!

+ 1

And quoting Thom Hogan on FF sensor prices, from the sixth paragraph in this article:

"As a reminder, the most expensive part in a DSLR is the sensor.
While full frame sensors have come down in price, every time they do, a crop sensor should come down in price by as much as a factor of eight.
I've written before about sensor costs.
Back at the start of full frame, it was pretty clear that a 36x24mm sensor was topping US$500.
Last time I looked (around the time of the D600 intro), the best guess I could get out of my semiconductor friends was US$350.
Today, I think the number may have stretched down to US$300.
So large sensor prices have been coming down."

You can read the full article here: The Full Frame Debate | byThom | Thom Hogan

I honestly doubt the price differences between the D610 / D800 / D4 sensors are all that big since these sensors are the same area (24 x 36mm) and more or less the same generation.
Anyway, I imagine we would also all have been fine with the excellent D610 sensor used in the Df camera for that matter, and basically the Df is a retro D610 camera with entry level FF specs.

mmbma

If they come out with an interchangeable lens full frame Foveon I'll be in heaven
Well... this is just a toy, not a tool.

Nikon gone hasselblad way lately. 3000 € !!!

If ppl want "pure photography" experience in digital world better way to jump on a SIGMA DPmerril. The prices have been cut by $200 on all the line last week (maybe they will come with something new soon ;) ).

My D700 with his 12400 actuations stay in my eyes a far better tool than this bold DF marketing joke. He will stay my rugged companion until his mechanical death, with his killer AF module and good controls.

Using a difficult manual lens on the D700, like the 50f1.2, is very easy even with conventional screen.

Don't get me wrong, I love NIKON but I probably love what they were. The SONY A7 line look far more useful and fun to use.

For me this is the milestone were SIGMA took a better reputation than a brand like NIKON. At least they don't betray themselves. SIGMA = true Bushido Spirit !

Paratom

Hulyss,

I fully agree with you. When a colleague yesterday sent me the link to the new Df, I wasn't that excited.

Sure, it's nice, but where is the real innovation? The Fuji's did that three years ago, and I also fully agree with you that the A7 (esp. the A7R) ist definitely more appealling.

The only company that still denies that there is a retro-trend is Canon :ROTFL:
And even funier, there are still people that think that Canon will deliver a 48 MPix-monster soon :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
There are even still people who believe the latest and greatest specs are more important than a good user interface, complete system and some guys even believe pure resolution and DR are the only and main factors for good IQ.
Some even think any camera older than 2 years is so called "aged technology".

V

Vivek

:ROTFL: What a priceless remark Ray - presumably they will also be selling them for a tiny fraction of the US price in countries less well off? :D
You know they successfully launched a probe to Mars. :)

jduncan

Sorry, looks more like a hooker than sexy. What were they thinking? I think Nikon missed the mark on a good idea of making a simple and small retro DSLR. Olympus and Leica keep getting it right...
Disagree I believe is beautiful. The only issue I have is that they did not optimized for manual focus, as I say before, to link it with the new Optus lenses. Now it will make more sense if they have used a 24Mpixels sensor (for high resolution lenses).

The 16 will be better for street, but most of the film people never shoot about iso 1600.

So there is the controversy about the sensor, people will be divided about that, but I really believe that the error was the manual focus issue.

I just saw an opinion that match mine on this sense (manual focus ):

Nikon Df - Digital Fusion - PREVIEW - YouTube

It could have been a great opportunity.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

rayyan

:ROTFL: What a priceless remark Ray - presumably they will also be selling them for a tiny fraction of the US price in countries less well off? :D
unfortunately, not the case in most cases Jono.

The exceptions where your contention holds is limited to very few and very specific items..life saving medication and life sustaining food. And that too limited in time and to specific countries.

A Nikon Df would be considered a ' luxury ' item in places that require special pricing for medication and nutrition.

craigrudlin

Disappointed to say the least.

The lack of a katz eye or split prism focus option ends the discussion for
me. I like the draw of zeiss and leica lenses, and was looking forward to
using the optus or other such lenses. But, unfortunately, the Df does not
make it any easier to use these than my D800E.

Then there is the 16 MP. I typically print 20x30 and often 40x60 which
of course is why I have a D800E. BUT, like many, a smaller, lighter
alternative WITH A BETTER VIEWFINDER OPTIMIZED FOR MANUAL FOCUS
would have been great. I would have compromised on 24 MP, but 16 is
just too small.

I like the idea of dedicated controls, although Thom Hogan does point
out that this design may have an issue in dim light or at night.

Finally, the price seems arrogant to me. Nikon is charging far too much
for the "retro" look and not giving sufficient capabilities. Reminds me
of Leica's "special editions" or the Hassleblad ones recently released.
Only, Nikon does not have Leica lenses or "cache."

And the "special edition" 50 mm being combined doesn't even equal
the standards of Nikon's newest 50ish lens. Might be "adequate" for
16 MP, but still a disappointment.

This release makes the Sony A7r more interesting, but also perhaps
having the patience to wait for a used M240 (and learning how to use
a rangefinder or not if you use live view or EVF).

Nikon has missed a tremendous opportunity. I had my VISA card out
and finger poised over the buy button until I saw the details. Now,
I will look elsewhere for a smaller companion to the D800E.

biglouis

This camera is a disappointment to me, not that it matter to anyone. What I was hoping for was a small lightweight Nikon F mount camera. That would have given anyone, including Sony or Panasonic a run for their money.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but manual controls for iso and compensation? Why on earth would you invent a thumb wheel to control such things if manual dials were such a good idea?

LouisB

roanjoh

Sony definitely stole Nikon's thunder on this one - lighter, cheaper and can do VIDEO! LOL! I will await Canon's answer to a lightweight full frame digital camera.......Full frame Rebel perhaps? Canon can revolutionize this segment again by pricing it below $1000 - create the same buzz when the 1st digital Rebel was introduced.

roanjoh

DXO rating for D4 sensor - 89, vs 95 for Sony A7r. Not that Nikon should be paying attention but I'm just sayin'........ price should be lowered! $1600 max.

dmeckert

for me, there's just something off about the design. height, proportion, width, something.

the price is absurd, imo. i wouldn't have been shocked at 2250 and 2500 for the kit. but i wouldn't have rushed out to buy one either.

i'm sure the d4 sensor is lovely...but i'd have preferred the d610 sensor, or whatever sony crammed in the a7 or a7r. newer technology is always improving.

the whole thing seems "cute".

i see two options that i would have WAY preferred.

1) a body that actually handles like an F3. split prism screen with modern overlays to show AF point/settings/etc. let the sensor do the focusing and metering. still F mount. really just updating a classic body to modern performance.

2) stick an a7(r) in a body that handles similarly to an F3, with real buttons and dials. include an "all the bells and whistles" F adapter in the box and move forward with a mirrorless lens series. implement split prism focusing similarly to how Fuji has and give it focus peaking. give it the retro vibe, classic handling, and let it be a technological marvel inside.

*shrug*