Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon 58/1.4g and Baby Blue Eyes

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nikon 58/1.4g and Baby Blue Eyes

Last week a friend and her one year old daughter stopped by to visit.
    I could not resist taking a few photos with the 58.
    No post except exposure and cropping.
    All shot wide open at 1.4.

Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon 58/1.4g and Baby Blue Eyes

Lovely set of images, Joe!

Thanks for sharing.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful, charming Baby Blue Eyes and images!
    Thanks.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Really well done set of photographs and perfect example of the strength of the 58/1.4. Only with AF could you get that many sharp images ..shot at F1.4 .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful!
    www.achdigital.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karl-Heinz, Swissblad, Antonio and Roger.
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Simply lovely! This is a case in my opinion where as nice a rendition as the 58mm appears in these photographs and it certainly plays to it's strengths...the actual images, poses, composition of this beautiful expressive little girl certainly takes center stage regardless of optic used. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That face would be cute at any aperture.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized that's the 3rd time I've looked at these pictures. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Post Thanks / Like

Cute! Beautiful eyes.

JT --

CameraPeddler

My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe,

Your image compositions and processing are stellar, and your eye for capturing expressions is excellent.

That out of the way, understand this comment is not about you or your images, it is about the performance of the lens only -- I hope you don't mind because the lens is new, expensive and as such draws a lot of attention: I see what appears to me as just plain soft -- images missing that sharp-edged glint, seen especially lacking on the speculars in the child's eyes. It almost appears as bad to my eyes as slight subject motion blur, or simply a poor lens. I'm sorry, just sharing what I see and it's not just your lens either. Jan posted an excellent composition and low light capture of a firetruck in the dedicated 58G thread, and I see the same lack of crisp detail -- and he was shooting at f2!

Sorry folks, I just don't see anything that turns my crank from this lens yet. In fact the only good thing I can say about it is I like the way it renders oof background highlights, and that's about it.

Sorry,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I believe I know exactly what you are referring to with regards to missing that "glint" one often sees at the very precise point of focus, especially when a fast lens is shot wide open at close range. It can be seen with many of 85mm f1.4's by Nikon. I may be wrong but I somehow get the impression that Leica purposely designed the 58mm this way as to give a much softer rendition to transitional areas between the plane of focus and areas that are just in front of and behind it.

As good as the 85mm f1.4 lenses are, many complain that it hasn't been ideal as a portrait lens, especially for weddings, and portraits requiring a softer, gentler "draw" and that's where the 58mm come in...besides many other obvious uses, such as shooting subjects that include point light sources. It has a glow that often is seen in some of the older designed Leica lenses (for example)...obvious some SA has been designed into its optical designed but in what appears to be in a very controlled way. The Zeiss OTIS on the other hand simply out resolves anything in it's class and although I'm not saying it's simply clinically sharp without a signature (can't say anything definite until I shoot with it), but my impression is it fits into a different class of use than that of the 58mm. I'd almost go out on a limb and say use of these two lenses (the Nikon 58mm and Zeiss OTIS) have little overlap with regards to intended use besides their similar focal length.

I'm still wondering how the Zeiss does with coma and point light sources, especially compared to the 58mm. The overall character and strength of the Nikon 58mm lens may also be more evident with output to prints as opposed to what's seen on a monitor. That's often the case with lenses that have a softer "draw". In any case that's to be seen.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 21st November 2013 at 10:08.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a F2 lens at best for me
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Have a look at this

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3579525
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, Guy and D&A,
    Except for the Nikon 32/1.2 for the V1, I've never been an early adopter of lenses. My kit includes tried and true Nikon lenses such as the 24/1.4g, 85/1.4g, 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200. With each of these lenses I pretty much knew what to expect before purchasing. The reason I chose the 58 is I wanted a lens in the 50ish focal range that would give me something special like my 24 and 85.

With that in mind, I agree the lens does not bite at 1.4 particularly at very close distance. Instead it produces a softer, dreamlike transition from out to in to out of focus. My understanding is the lens is designed for this. With increasing distance there does appear to be an increase in bite. But this may have to do with greater DOF or subject isolation or my imagination or ? The bokeh and out of focus rendering is gorgeous at 1.4 and subject isolation is greater than I expected.

I have not done enough at 1.6 or 1.8 to speak knowledgeably, but by f/2 the lens seems plenty sharp and is probably indistinguishable from other 50ish lenses (except for the Otus which is another league). Just a guess.

Time to stop rambling.
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the softer dreamy like look when shot at close range and wide open, it's apparent that the transition from in to out of focus areas is quite gental and again I too believe this was intended as part of the design of the lens to give it a different look than say the 85 mm f1.4 G lens.

In my opinion it's use will be quite different than a lens such as the OTUS.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 21st November 2013 at 13:26.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It may just be me, but I can rarely make an through assessment of a lens unless at the very least I can examine the actual full rez file on a good monitor. It's world's apart from a full or partial frame image at Web resolution. Examining prints made from the lens takes it one step further.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 21st November 2013 at 13:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, love those pictures. Really have that special quality of a good portrait lens. I have sold all my Nikon system already but looking at those pictures makes me want to buy another Nikon system :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing even close to it. Dang
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt the Otus is special.
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe,

Your image compositions and processing are stellar, and your eye for capturing expressions is excellent.

That out of the way, understand this comment is not about you or your images, it is about the performance of the lens only -- I hope you don't mind because the lens is new, expensive and as such draws a lot of attention: I see what appears to me as just plain soft -- images missing that sharp-edged glint, seen especially lacking on the speculars in the child's eyes. It almost appears as bad to my eyes as slight subject motion blur, or simply a poor lens. I'm sorry, just sharing what I see and it's not just your lens either. Jan posted an excellent composition and low light capture of a firetruck in the dedicated 58G thread, and I see the same lack of crisp detail -- and he was shooting at f2!

Sorry folks, I just don't see anything that turns my crank from this lens yet. In fact the only good thing I can say about it is I like the way it renders oof background highlights, and that's about it.

Sorry,
    I agree Jack, beautiful bokeh but soft, what the hell was Nikon thinking?
    If you have a sharp image you can make it soft but you can't make a soft image sharp

Joe your images are beautiful, my other comment was about the lens your photography skills are excellent!
    Last edited by Dan Bellyk; 24th November 2013 at 12:53.

Post Thanks / Like

I still haven't seen a single image shot wide open with this lens that is sharp. My 50L is soft at 1.2 but sharpens up nicely by 1.6 with lovely color and bokeh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You have captured lovely images of this little girl Joe. I for one don't have a talent for taking photos like these.

I have a question for those who have used the Nikon 50 f1.2 AIS lens....do you think it would produce images that are sharper at f1.4 or f2 than you've seen from the new 58/1.4 lens?

I'm thinking about getting a Nikon 50/1.2 AIS to use with my D700...until I can afford the Otus 55/1.4 and a replacement D800.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the nice compliments and I'm happy to provide images to help critique the lens. However, I'm probably not the ideal person to be testing the 58g for sharpness. Why? Because I've been shooting almost exclusively wide open at 1.4 - and to date most of my images are quick candids and/or include moving subjects. Without a doubt, the narrow DOF combined with the designer's intent to give this lens beautiful rendering has created less sharpness wide open. I can't say how much sharper the lens would be at 1.6 or 1.8 because I haven't shot at these apertures very much. As I've stated, the 58g does not have bite wide open although sharpness does appear to increase with distance. I think it's perfect for weddings which is where I plan to use it and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this focal length.

If you are bored and want to see more images (mostly at 1.4) from this lens here you go:

Nikon 58g gallery
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Joe. In hindsight, this thread wasn't really the right place for me to post a question about the 50/1.2 AIS lens. I definitely don't want to take the thread away from discussions about the new 58/1.4. I'll try to find a better place to post my question.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

No worries Gary. I'm curious to get an answer to your question.
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bellyk View Post
    I agree Jack, beautiful bokeh but soft, what the hell was Nikon thinking?
    If you have a sharp image you can make it soft but you can't make a soft image sharp
    Wrong! It's very easy to make the photos above very, very sharp (try USM 70/0.5/0 on these photos), but very difficult and much more complicated to create the OOF background and the beautiful transitions during PP if the photos were taken with an inferior lens. In addition, USM can be run as a batch job in PS if large volumes are needed, while softening photos would have to be done individually for each photo.

In short, I don't understand why this lens is criticized for lack of sharpness. All the information is there and it's as sharp as you want it if the PP is done right.

When that is said, the Otus is clearly a superior lens, but it's manual focus, and it costs almost as much as the Nikkor plus a Df. Then, there's the $400 Sigma 50, which is no slouch when it comes to OOF rendering, but I doubt that it captures as much detail as the Nikkor.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    You have captured lovely images of this little girl Joe. I for one don't have a talent for taking photos like these.

I have a question for those who have used the Nikon 50 f1.2 AIS lens....do you think it would produce images that are sharper at f1.4 or f2 than you've seen from the new 58/1.4 lens?

I'm thinking about getting a Nikon 50/1.2 AIS to use with my D700...until I can afford the Otus 55/1.4 and a replacement D800.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

I'll give you one thing to consider regarding the Nixon 50 mm f.2 Ais. It flair a easily and it was in virtually all samples I've tried. Reproduction of point light sources with that lens also leaves something to be desired. It's an extremely fine lens and aim just highlighting a few things to consider.

Dave (D&A)