Site Sponsors

Thread: New Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

Post Thanks / Like

New Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

new lens is coming - get ready to spend money I know a few of you wont be able to resist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

At $1300 it's at least affordable. If I had known this was coming, I might have held off buying the 24 -- but then the 24 is just stellar and a focal I use a lot. If it is as good as the predecessors, then it will be in my stable eventually.

I am not sold on f1.4 for a 20 and think incredible performance in a smaller f2 version might be more desirable for most. In fact, I would be happy with f2 in 20 and 24, though admittedly, the shallow DoF from f1.4 remains prominent in the 24 images which did surprise me a bit, so maybe this 20 will surprise me too
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    At $1300 it's at least affordable. If I had known this was coming, I might have held off buying the 24 -- but then the 24 is just stellar and a focal I use a lot. If it is as good as the predecessors, then it will be in my stable eventually.

I am not sold on f1.4 for a 20 and think incredible performance in a smaller f2 version might be more desirable for most. In fact, I would be happy with f2 in 20 and 24, though admittedly, the shallow DoF from f1.4 remains prominent in the 24 images which did surprise me a bit, so maybe this 20 will surprise me too
    I have wondered this myself. dont most people who buy a 20-24 do so to take landscapes ? if my logic is true why not create a small lens that is f3 - f4 and optimized for infinity ?

wonder how this will stack up vs the Zeiss 21 ?

Post Thanks / Like

"a few of you wont be able to resist "

- Trioderob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If true, the choice of focal length for the next f1.4 ART lens is somewhat surprising. I would've thought for sure that a 28mm/1.4 ART would come before a 20mm.
    A 28mm would make more sense for general use and IMHO, would not cannibalize sales of the 35mm/1.4 ART. In fact, owners of the 50mm/1.4 ART would be a ready market for a 28mm/1.4 ART, especially with the dearth of options from Nikon. Even the much rumored 85mm/1.4 ART would have been less of a surprise.

Shooting a 20mm lens is demanding and not really for general use. I would think that most DSLR shooters who shoot ultra wide lenses use zooms. I happen to own the Nikon 20/1.8 AFS G lens, which is a great value and does the job that I need it for. I'm sure the ART lens will be better, but I don't think I'll be selling my Nikon 20mm any time soon.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will be interesting to see, but tit has to be very good to compete with the Zeiss 21mm. For me, an 18mm f/2 would have been more interesting.

As for landscapes, I rarely shoot landscapes, but often do portraits and group portraits with the 21. Sometimes, I wouldn't mind f/1.4 for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trioderob View Post
    new lens is coming - get ready to spend money I know a few of you wont be able to resist

I may be selling my 24mm 1.4 as this lens may be a solution for me for sure. Sigma for the first time is using the word "coma" in their design specs, so it's possible that this lens my have considerably less coma than the 24mm 1.4 at 1.6 to 2.0.

However it looks like the hood is a full time design which means filtering may be problematic.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes will be interesting to test. I've used and tested the sigma 24mm art on a D810, as well as the new nikon 20mm f/1.8 G.

Other than the faster aperture...they were only a hair better in IQ than my 14-24mm f/2.8. I know the 14-24mm is a good lens but maybe I have a really great copy. It's amazing even in the corners.

I ended up getting rid of both the primes because I just couldn't justify keeping them. I'm still in the market for a super stellar fast prime wide so am interested in the new 28mm otus and this sigma 20mm.

So many lenses...so little time (and $

Jordan
    Jordan Reeder Photography
    www.reederphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My issue with the 14-24 was more about distortion and focus shift than resolution. It also had flare issues, but all that said it is an excellent lens for that zoom range regardless.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My issue with the 14-24 was more about distortion and focus shift than resolution. It also had flare issues, but all that said it is an excellent lens for that zoom range regardless.
    Still love the 14-24, but I agree the flare can really cause problems. I finally just got used to shooting on a tripod and using my finger to block the sun on at least one frame. The 14-24 always seems to be able to grab the moon or sun from behind the shot. Distortion can also be a problem for sure especially in the 14mm to 18mm range.

I keep hearing good things about the Tamron 15-30, (think I have that correct).

Paul

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that for landscape use a fast f1.4 in a 20mm focal length lens generally isn't needed but for artistic shots including close focus near-far effect, the shallow depth of field supplied by an aperture of f1.4 in a 20mm lens is extremely useful. All depends on what ones primary use of the lens will be used for.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

$899? Looks like a great deal if it's good, but is it possible to make a great 20mm f/1.4 at that price? Time will show, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

This will be an excellent lens for Astro-landscape (night sky stuff). If the image quality at full aperture is good...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    This will be an excellent lens for Astro-landscape (night sky stuff). If the image quality at full aperture is good...
    My feeling as well.....

Post Thanks / Like

899$... i thought it will be around 1300... i'm waiting for a test !

I hope now, that at some points, sigma will produce a 35 PC...

i allready have the 35 ART and the 50 ART... so far so good !

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a PC being in their line up.

The ART series seems to be dedicated to fast (f1.4) fixed primes or fast zooms (f1.8 / f2.0).

I'm really hoping to see a fast 135mm ART lens (f1.8 or f2.0).

Post Thanks / Like

wow-

it ends up this may be a ground breaking lens - extremely high tech

why dont some of you guys read thru this link below and tell me what you make of it

Art | 20mm F1.4 DG HSM | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=trioderob;664846]wow-

it ends up this may be a ground breaking lens - extremely high tech

why dont some of you guys read thru this link below and tell me what you make of it

one other thing thats killer is lets say you buy the lens and jump ship to another brand - Sigma will convert it for you

read about here at the bottom of page :

Mount Conversion Service | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Post Thanks / Like

It's a paid service. It sounds like the cost varies depending on where your service center is. Nice to have that option. I noticed the service has been available since September 2nd, 2013. I wonder if anyone here has taken advantage of it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking like the 20mm Sigma will not be coma free, in fact it appears to be about as bad as the 24mm 1.4. This is link to a blog in Poland, that has some good corner crops.

F1.4 is terrible, but by F2.0 it might be useable.

Take a look and pass on your thoughts.

http://www.optyczne.pl/376.7-Test_ob...m_i_bokeh.html

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Looking like the 20mm Sigma will not be coma free, in fact it appears to be about as bad as the 24mm 1.4. This is link to a blog in Poland, that has some good corner crops.

F1.4 is terrible, but by F2.0 it might be useable.

Take a look and pass on your thoughts.

http://www.optyczne.pl/376.7-Test_ob...m_i_bokeh.html

Paul C

just fyi, I found an English version of the above article:
    http://www.lenstip.com/457.7-Lens_re...and_bokeh.html
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After looking again on my PC, F2.0 is not too bad, as I only see very faint wings on the stars nearest the corners.

Those results are definitely better than my Nikon 20mm 1.8 at either F 2.0 or 2.2 and 2.5.

As more show up in reviews time will tell.

I have noticed sadly quite a bit of sample variation in the Art glass I have purchased, both the 35mm and 24mm 1.4 lenses.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've looked at a large number of samples, but no.... the Zeiss will stay.

Post Thanks / Like

After looking again on my PC, F2.0 is not too bad, as I only see very faint wings on the stars nearest the corners.

Those results are definitely better than my Nikon 20mm 1.8 at either F 2.0 or 2.2 and 2.5.

As more show up in reviews time will tell.

I have noticed sadly quite a bit of sample variation in the Art glass I have purchased, both the 35mm and 24mm 1.4 lenses.

Paul C
    Could you please post some samples, Paul.

Thanx, S

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally fine with the 20mm Nikon 1.8G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7188.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	114121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7620.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	975.0 KB 
ID:	114122  
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see this wonderful performance of the Nikkor 1.8/20G - on my buying list now!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see the images here, and I regret selling my 17-35/2.8... OTOH, I do miss the ZF18 a little too. But the lens I really miss in this focal is the Leica 19R -- this is a gap in my current stable.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, do you mean the Zeiss 18mm by ZF18mm? I was curious as I love that lens more each time I use it. Small, light, and less flare prone than others in this size. Just a bit slow for night work, however since I picked up a D750, I am using the Zeiss 18mm a lot more. Very strong all the way to the corners. The D750 is an excellent high iso camera, easily cleaner than my D810 at settings of 2500 or higher. So the 2 less stops of light with the Zeiss 18mm are more workable.

On the Nikkor 20mm F 1.8, I agree it can produce excellent images. However it's not that great for manual focus, at least for my work, as the focus ring is not damped enough to make fine adjustments. My issues with it are the coma, which I know most folks are not too worried about. The coma aberration on the 20mm Nikon F 1.8 is very harsh, really not totally out of the image in the corners until past F 3.5. May just be my example, but I have also read about others with the same issue.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, do you mean the Zeiss 18mm by ZF18mm? I was curious as I love that lens more each time I use it. Small, light, and less flare prone than others in this size.
    Hi Paul, yes, exactly that lens -- well the ZF-2 version to be precise I could probably make do with the 20/1.8, but for most of the purposes I want the 20 focal for, the 24 suffices. THe 18 was enough wider to be more useful to me in tight locals. But then the 14 is even wider and pretty remarkable too...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jack.

Which brand of 14mm? I am always looking for ultra wides. I have considered the 15mm Zeiss but have so far held off due to the cost and size/weight of the 15mm Zeiss.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jack.

Which brand of 14mm? I am always looking for ultra wides. I have considered the 15mm Zeiss but have so far held off due to the cost and size/weight of the 15mm Zeiss.

Thanks
    Paul
    Believe it or not, I have the Samyang, and by all my testing for landscape it is quite excellent considering the price! I have not however, tested it for coma/astro. It on my D800E out-resolved the Rodie 24mm over my IQ-180 (back when I owned it) by a notable margin, including (and especially) in the corners.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see the images here, and I regret selling my 17-35/2.8... OTOH, I do miss the ZF18 a little too. But the lens I really miss in this focal is the Leica 19R -- this is a gap in my current stable.
    Hopefully, there will be Milvus 18mm.