Site Sponsors

Thread: Fat Pixel Nikons

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fat Pixel Nikons

Really! They do exist! It has been a very long time since I had either a D1/D1x/D2H/D2Hs/D2x... but now I am wondering how images made today, and processed with similar software as I am using now, would compare to the D1 and D2 cameras with larger pixels.

Yes, I am bored!!!

Would anyone like to have some fun helping with a project comparing the old and new D body cameras?
    Dave (GT)

Best quote of the day: "Always be kind to others, behind every face is some kind of pain."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fat Pixel Nikons

Don't live in the past.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Don't live in the past.

Actually, when it comes to DSLR's, I agree wholeheartedly with Doug. That said and in my humble opinion only, the "old" 16MP "fat" pixel Df sensor renders in a very unique, very film-like way that no other DSLR can compete with. So if you're looking for something unique and fun with the added bonus of looking very cool and retro, then get a Df.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't live in the past? I totally agree!!!

I have tens of thousands of images that I am scanning, organizing and creating family albums from. Boxes of old photos from 100 years ago stacked under my drawing table. And hundreds of CDs that need to be transferred to electronic drives. I am surrounded by the past.

Film, slides, videos, hard drives, flash drives, ssd, you name it! It occurs to me that a day or two playing with the old DSLRs would be fun and might yield some uses where I would not want either the MFD gear or the D850 put at risk. A $300 D2x might do very well for moon shots and Astro work with the grandkids at the beach. Or maybe an earlier D2H. Who knows? I would like to make some comparisons.

The way I see it, teaching the grandkids about photography in general and using old professional gear to allow them complete freedom to shoot what they want is a great way to live in the present and the future!

Unlike some, I have to have a purpose for creating an image. Coming off a year and a half of pro bono work for patients at the Emory Rehabilitation Hospital, I am looking for more than just a hobby. Therapy takes many forms and after more than a decade of 24/7/365 caregiving, I have a pretty good idea how Photography can be a great tool for healing. Those wonderful people we have met who have survived devastating trauma, strokes and diseases taught me so much.

So, you guys are absolutely right about not living in the past depending on your definition, of course.

My definition of living now and in the future is not to discard the past, but to use it where possible.
    Dave (GT)

Best quote of the day: "Always be kind to others, behind every face is some kind of pain."
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jack.

We all live with the past. Else we would have to have died! Can’t get rid of it!

As to cameras, and for my current needs, I have yet to find DSLR with a better resulting image than the Df. Old lenses, new lenses, low iso, high iso. The sound of the shutter. I love these attributes.
    I don’t do gallery prints, I don’t do sports ( with a camera or otherwise ) nor wildlife. Yes, I don’t do weddings...mine or someone else’s.
    I can’t carry heavy cameras and lenses. WR or not doesn’t bother me.

I have stopped caring about new camera releases.

I love photography. The Df suits my style ( as does the Fuji XP2 ).
    I wish they had a tilt screen, though. Else, just purrrfect, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Actually, when it comes to DSLR's, I agree wholeheartedly with Doug. That said and in my humble opinion only, the "old" 16MP "fat" pixel Df sensor renders in a very unique, very film-like way that no other DSLR can compete with. So if you're looking for something unique and fun with the added bonus of looking very cool and retro, then get a Df.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I have found some of my old D700 images have benefitted greatly from being re-worked with new software.
    Agreed the Df has very good files. And I really like how you can use the higher ISO’s. But i’ll Be selling mine because I have too many cameras and I prefer my Leica M9-P over the Df.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Interesting. I have found some of my old D700 images have benefitted greatly from being re-worked with new software.
    Agreed the Df has very good files. And I really like how you can use the higher ISO’s. But i’ll Be selling mine because I have too many cameras and I prefer my Leica M9-P over the Df.
    Yeah, it's all good!!!

Last night, I had an Astro shoot with the D850 (my only camera other than some old film cameras). The images turned out really nice! Tonight, the (Studio's) H5D will be used for very long exposures. Those two are my chosen systems to use lately.

But my archive files yield many excellent images from my earlier days with the D1x, D2H and the D2x. It was fun remembering each frame. So much fun, I have decided to change my Leica Cave. It was set up for a retro M3 look, complete with matching paint and accessories all Leica. Since then, the Leica cameras have gone; the Hasselblad (now sold) took over and now I am carrying a Nikon. So, I will incorporate those camera brands and memorabilia into the decor as well.

The D1 and D2 images on file could use a little TLC with the new software but they look great to me... So great that I have decided to start a collection of all the D bodies from the D1 to the present D5 (one day when they are cheap enough!) and they will look terrific in my bookcase and they will be fun to use.

Just my fun thing to do. YMMV.

I will start out looking for a nice D1x...
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What's really interesting to me is that we are now talking about *collecting* "old" digital cameras!

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

10 votes for the Df (the one and only you will take with you in the grave)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One man's junk is another man's treasure.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wrote a post on our front page a couple years back about using whatever gear you own to express your vision is what makes the "artist." The latest, greatest in MP count, or newest whizbang features do not make images with meaning; the artist creates those with a vision and whatever tools they decide to use.

So I say again, if your preferred tool is a 6 year old, 6MP dslr, or the first 2MP iPhone, or the newest 150MP whizbang dreamwagon, then it's ALL good!

Oh, and I believe it should be fun using whatever your personal "tool of choice" is!
    Jack

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still enjoy using the "classic" fat pixel Nikon (and Canon) DSLRs. A few of the photos I took with these cameras are among my favorites. I especially like the Nikon D2x and D700, Canon 5D and 1D Mk II (only 8mp).

That said, I don't use them very often anymore. I still own all of these cameras and have no plans to part with them.

I've often thought of getting a Df, but just haven't done it yet.

In any case, I think we need to see some pics taken with these older DSLRs to once again appreciate that they were capable of producing very nice images in the past (and in the present and future).

Gary

D1x

D2x

D2x

D700 (with a Hasselblad 80mm CFE lens)

D700 (with Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar)
    Last edited by bensonga; 6th March 2019 at 14:09.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Yeah, it's all good!!!

Just my fun thing to do. YMMV.

I will start out looking for a nice D1x...
    I agree Dave. A very nice condition D1x and D2x can be found for very little money now. I picked up my D1x (with the all important battery charger) for just $99 at my local camera shop about a year ago. I really should keep an eye open for a nice D3 or D3x.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess my Pentax 645D would be "old," but it it still takes as good images as when I first bought it. And I might be the odd one out in these parts, but I really don't like shopping for camera gear. I like to stick to one thing and master it. I like to understand how my camera is going to translate something and then use that to my advantage. Even in the silver era of photography, I had a limited number of cameras and films I would use. I know folks worry about things like DR and noise, but I just see them as part of the process, neither good nor bad, and work within or outside those limits to make (hopefully) good images. And if you go to the Fun with threads in different parts of the forum, the thing that unifies the images are their quality, not their camera specifications. And that I think is the point: I am more impressed by the results than the box hanging around your neck.

To speak to Jack's point, I don't feel that my cameras are the real limit to my photography.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a 645D also and I will never part with it. Same for much older cameras, digital and film, that I have.

We all take different paths in photography. Some with more or less gear. I will be the last to say that one path is better than another, whether it a path with more or less gear, film or digital, darkroom or digital prints, etc.

To this day, I feel that that best photograph I have ever taken was made 30+ years ago. Shot with a 1950s vintage Graphic 4x5 and a 1940s vintage Zeiss Tessar lens. It was a special image that in many technical respects could have been improved upon with better film, developing, camera, lenses or digital capture methods.

All that doesn’t really matter...it is still one of my favorite images. That said...I still enjoy collecting and using the gear too (including fat pixel Nikon DSLRs), regardless of whether I ever produce another photograph to equal the shot I took 30+ years ago.

A final thought, I have to justify my appreciation for and purchases of camera gear (old or new) here on GetDPI, then perhaps it is time for me to leave.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 7th March 2019 at 21:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I have a 645D also and I will never part with it. Same for much older cameras, digital and film, that I have.

We all take different paths in photography. Some with more or less gear. I will be the last to say that one path is better than another, whether it a path with more or less gear, film or digital, darkroom or digital prints, etc.

To this day, I feel that that best photograph I have ever taken was made 30+ years ago. Shot with a 1950s vintage Graphic 4x5 and a 1940s vintage Zeiss Tessar lens. It was a special image that in many technical respects could have been improved upon with better film, developing, camera, lenses or digital capture methods.

All that doesn’t really matter...it is still one of my favorite images. That said...I still enjoy collecting and using the gear too (including fat pixel Nikon DSLRs), regardless of whether I ever produce another photograph to equal the shot I took 30+ years ago.

A final thought, I have to justify my appreciation for and purchases of camera gear (old or new) here on GetDPI, then perhaps it is time for me to leave.

Gary
    Hi, Gary,

It is always good to see and read your posts! Thank you for posting the images above. Each time I dive into my archived prints boxes, I get the feeling that those moments captured so long on film or obsolete digital cameras are special.

For me, IQ (image quality) is only one consideration for my enjoyment of photos. There is indeed a story behind each image and there is also a certain quality of older images. Kodachrome certainly had a certain character as did images from a D2H or a Polaroid.

It is all good! Interestingly, as I think back on all the images I have ever made, bleeding edge sharpness is not even a consideration, only the story and the emotions connected with the image resonate with me.

And, of course, there is the amazing work by photographers like those of National Geographic. Since I was a child, I marveled at those amazing images. I still can't remember if they were film, digital, Kodachrome or color film, fat pixel or chubby pixel images...

They were so good. I think it is cool that I can use the equipment today that produced all of those images we remember.

Ah, well, time to get back to work for me... I have some old Ektachrome to send off for processing, and a whole freezer full of it and yet, I am ordering a few more rolls of the new E100. I don't think those images will be obsolete after I am gone, just ignored and forgotten. Such is the lack of appreciation of our own kids for more permanence and less disposability.

PS: I am very interested in re-acquiring a very nice D2Hs or D2x. Maybe I still have something of value left for a trade...
    Dave (GT)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will be the first to admit that I am a gear head and finally had to admit to myself (plus my wife and friends) that I also enjoy collecting cameras and lenses, both old and new. I don't think that precludes me from being a somewhat decent photographer (not good, just passable). It didn't take me long to realize that buying newer and/or "better" cameras and lenses very rarely ensured I could take "better" pictures.

I sometimes wish I was the kind of person who was perfectly content owning only one or even just a few cameras and lenses. Life would be much simpler and my retirement savings account balances would certainly be greater. The same can be said for my love of a variety of motorcycles (I once had 12, I'm now down to 6...garage space is the limitation) and to a lesser extent cars. Oh well. I have enjoyed them all. That is good enough for me.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will be the first to admit that I am a gear head and finally had to admit to myself (plus my wife and friends) ...
    Gary, I suspect your wife and friends knew well before you came to that realization...

But this conversation comes to a interesting point, all those "outdated" cameras are actually really good. Their value has not really held which means there are really good bargains out there. It is a buyer's market.

Dave, you could be onto something...
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D700 + Mamiya Sekor 80mm F1.9N at F1.9

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PSon View Post

I was hoping Son would see this thread and chime in...he knows the benefits of "fat pixel" cameras and digital backs better than most of us.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 8th March 2019 at 16:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PSon View Post

Hey! There you are!!!

Long time no see, my friend. Great to see you posting again, love that one!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

"Fat pixel" is just an euphemism for old technology. They are not better than current sensors.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    "Fat pixel" is just an euphemism for old technology. They are not better than current sensors.
    Fat pixels are sensors with a large pixel pitch. The idea is that limits frequency in the image resulting in more contrast by acting as a spatial filter.

I am not sure what you mean by "better"? The technical specification? Then you be right. Resulting in more pleasing images? Then that is certainly open for debate as it is really subjective. One thing is clear, their is no correlation about making compelling images and the sophistication of technology.
    Will

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Fat pixels are sensors with a large pixel pitch. The idea is that limits frequency in the image resulting in more contrast by acting as a spatial filter.

I am not sure what you mean by "better"? The technical specification? Then you be right. Resulting in more pleasing images? Then that is certainly open for debate as it is really subjective. One thing is clear, their is no correlation about making compelling images and the sophistication of technology.
    +1 to that.

From a less scientific point of view:
    Some of the low megapixel, full frame cameras seem to have certain "shine" that is totally lacking from current high megapixel cameras. The D700 certainly has it, the A7S likewise. As far as I can remember, the 6MP Contax N Digital also had a certain "look" that hasn't been duplicated since, and that made some photographers hang on to it despite its weaknesses.

The Contax btw. now sells used for $1,500 or more. I don't know if that is because some photographers still love the image quality or because it has become a collector's item.

Post Thanks / Like

Other low res sensors I loved, included the Leica M9, Hasselblad H3D-31, Hassy 16mp CFV and Sony a900.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary
    Just re-reading this thread.

Maybe we can post images here from our Fat Pixel Nikons! Who knows, the prices might even go up a few bucks when people realize the bargains out there!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just re-reading this thread.

Maybe we can post images here from our Fat Pixel Nikons! Who knows, the prices might even go up a few bucks when people realize the bargains out there!
    You mean actual obsolete photos taken with old, obsolete cameras? I thought those photos stopped working with the introduction of the new cool models

Ok then, but we're back to 2014 here, the girl as well as the camera, since I don't own a fat pixel monster anymore (and don't have a gf to take photos of).

D700 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AiS @ f/1.8

It almost makes me miss that clunky old box... and the girl.... no no no...

Edit: I should sell all my gear and buy a Df and the 58mm f/1.4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jørgen
    I can only recommend the Df as the ultimate cure(!)
    best thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem with those fat pixel cameras is that there aren't enough pixels for all the people I want to fit into the photos. Two girls are fine, but I ran out of space with the third one here:

D700 with Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do I miss that old clunker? Kind of, but the D700 plus the 80-200 weighed more than my entire bag with two bodies and 7 lenses does now.

D700 with Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D700 with Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S @ 200mm and f/3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's a D3 with 16,000 clicks for sale locally for $800. Uses same battery and charger as my D2Xs

No no no no no no no...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, yes, yes....
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fat Pixel Nikons Definition

Love the quality of those images, Jorgen.

The D700 somehow escaped me because I could not afford it and it was a time when photography was impossible. At least I can enjoy going back over the reviews and billions of images made with a D700 and the other related cameras.

The pixel size is 8.45 microns. Hmmm. The accepted definition of a Fat Pixel Digital Back onvthe MF forum is 9 microns.

So let's start right there. 9 microns (effective).

Or should we be more exact and use 8.45?

Either way, it would be nice to compile a list of all the Nikon digital cameras with a pixel size of 9 microns (or 8.45) and greater. Anyone looking for a quiet weekend project?
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

had the D3 for perhaps 10-15.000 shots, very very effective, but a monster...go for the Df, and save weight, even if the pixel might not be fat enough for this thread

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The pixel size is 8.45 microns. Hmmm. The accepted definition of a Fat Pixel Digital Back on the MF forum is 9 microns.

All of a sudden I lost the will to live.

Have to go out for a bike ride in the glorious sunshine instead.

Good luck with the micrometers, guys.

etc., etc.,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    had the D3 for perhaps 10-15.000 shots, very very effective, but a monster...go for the Df, and save weight, even if the pixel might not be fat enough for this thread
    "Effective" is the word. You know you have taken a photo when you've pushed the shutter button of the D3. The Df makes more sense of course, since I could also use it for travl, but second hand it's 50% more expensive.

What strikes me when I go through the D700 files is how good they look. What they tell me is that I can do just fine with 12MP and no VR. I've never shot with the Df, but asume that the files are even better. What is more important though, is that the Df is the smallest FX camera with a proper viewfinder, and with a proper viewfinder I mean one that has enough diopter adjustment for my eyesight and can take other accessories as well. The main reason why I sold the D610 was the lacking viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    "Effective" is the word. You know you have taken a photo when you've pushed the shutter button of the D3. The Df makes more sense of course, since I could also use it for travl, but second hand it's 50% more expensive.

What strikes me when I go through the D700 files is how good they look. What they tell me is that I can do just fine with 12MP and no VR. I've never shot with the Df, but asume that the files are even better. What is more important though, is that the Df is the smallest FX camera with a proper viewfinder, and with a proper viewfinder I mean one that has enough diopter adjustment for my eyesight and can take other accessories as well. The main reason why I sold the D610 was the lacking viewfinder.
    And that is the point of this thread. Are the images we all made before going to magically disappear like the cameras themselves because they are obsolete, not good enough, or their "use by expiry date" has been ignored?

The cameras are everywhere and a good value for pocket change (for many). The images I made in the past are no worse or obsolete than my published film images or my treasured personal images. They are not going to disappear.

In some cases, the quality of the older less detailed (lower resolution) images are better suited for some things (i.e.- take a photo of one's wife with the D850 and one with a D2H, you might be surprised at the reaction).

Regardless, photography should be fun. For me it is a form of expression and I do just fine with my Leica X1. It fits a niche for me. The Studio's H5D fills other needs. My FM2n is simply FUN! And now the D850 is being explored for special uses including Landscape Astrophotography. Different tools for different solutions.

Pixel size is only one part of the image, but it is also an indicator that perhaps, those old forgotten cameras have a use, and a value that almost anyone can afford. Not so affordable with the new offerings with high resolution and all the bells and whistles.

Again, this is simply a fun thread!

My old TLR and Brownie cameras are endearing in their own way, too. So don't give up "the will to live" in disdain for others having fun with creative possibilities. Photographers are artists and we should be as open as possible in allowing ourselves to express ourselves with whatever equipment at our disposal be it a Z7 or a pencil and paper.

It is all good!
    Last edited by dave.gt; 24th March 2019 at 06:07.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Yes the D3 was so effective, I could be placed in a basement, hasty turn around, doing the trigger, and it was always spot on, matrix on, sometimees just program on if I should do some hasty building shot in akward positions - and they seemed to work all of them, coming home. But it also gave me that nasty effective/dull feeling.
    Almost everything is subjective in my head, the files from the D3/D700 are good (and why I will wait a bit selling the D700)..but the Df render different (but its all subjective feeling), more exclusive, more delicate, more refined - and putting on lenses like 18/2.8D, 28/1.4D, 105/2.0DC, 135/2.0DC, the 180/2.8D and even the 70-200/4 is sort of in the same rendering league, where the 24/1.8G is a bit more cold (and I presume the other /1.8G's too), but might be a bit better on the Df than the on the D3/D700 while I think the sensor is a bit unik and with more subtle character. In my head the Df is the jewel compared to D3/D700 and I guess later D8xx's too, and the Z7 gives a more cold, more saturated view than the Df, so even liking the Z7 very very much (and my first priority) I'm often looking forward returning to the Df for some short periods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Inspiration from older cameras, indeed.

Very nice images from a few years back:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/1...rations-d2h-1/

https://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/1...rations-d2h-1/
    Dave (GT)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the quality of those images, Jorgen.

The D700 somehow escaped me because I could not afford it and it was a time when photography was impossible. At least I can enjoy going back over the reviews and billions of images made with a D700 and the other related cameras.

The pixel size is 8.45 microns. Hmmm. The accepted definition of a Fat Pixel Digital Back onvthe MF forum is 9 microns.

Either way, it would be nice to compile a list of all the Nikon digital cameras with a pixel size of 9 microns (or 8.45) and greater. Anyone looking for a quiet weekend project?
    I've always felt that cameras like the D700 and Canon 5D with pixel sizes very close to that magic 9 micron size were close enough to qualify as fat pixels.

Here are a few more of my D700 shots. I love shooting with macro lenses. The first one with the 105mm Micro-Nikkor and the next two with the Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar. The photos were taken at different times/days, but in the same year and general location.

Gary

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've always felt that cameras like the D700 and Canon 5D with pixel sizes very close to that magic 9 micron size were close enough to qualify as fat pixels.

Here are a few more of my D700 shots. I love shooting with macro lenses. The first one with the 105mm Micro-Nikkor and the next two with the Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar. The photos were taken at different times/days, but in the same year and general location.

Gary

Gary, which of those two lenses do you like best? They both render quite well!
    Dave (GT)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Dave. I really don't have a strong preference for one vs the other, which is why I've kept both lenses. I thought I would see a bigger difference when I bought the Zeiss lens, but I haven't. My experience with Micro-Nikkors going all the way back to the non-AI 55mm has always been good.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I mentioned above, I think the 12mp, FF, 8.46 micron D700 and D3 qualify as "Fat Pixel" Nikons.

I recently picked up a D3 and D4. Here's one of my first shots taken with the D3.

A sure sign of "tourist season" in Anchorage is the increasing number of Alaska Railroad trains heading north to Denali National Park.

Gary

D3, Sigma 50/1.4 Art lens, ISO 200, 1/500th at f8
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A D3 is for sure a Fat Pixel camera. I bought mine new the day it was released and it was my main camera till 12/2018 when I got another Fat Pixel camera, the D4S. Both cameras may have a low pixel count but the images are excellent and have a look all their own. I also used to own a D2h and a D2HS. The HS for sure had a different look with the LBCAST sensor. The D4 and the Dx are the same sensor no?

Neil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neils View Post
    The D4 and the Dx are the same sensor no?
    Neil
    I believe the D4 and Df have the same 16mp sensor. I will be picking up a used Df from my local camera shop tomorrow. However, with a pixel pitch/size of 7.28 microns, I don’t think the D4/Df sensor is generally considered to fall into the “fat pixel” category.

12mp is probably the limit for a fat pixel FF35 sensor re pixel size and that is pushing the boundary a little.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

A panorama made with images from my D2h. I also own and love my old Pentax 645D.

Grandview Park by RickZPhoto, on Flickr