Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Z6 or Z7 -- or both ???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Z6 or Z7 -- or both ???

Of course it's all based on personal opinion. Nikon S lenses look fantastic on paper and the 50mm 1.8 S is probably the best all purpose lens I've ever used...period. The two card slot has been debated endlessly, but for my work it is a consideration and it's the primary reason I'm considering switching cameras. For general purpose work, the Z is hard to beat in terms of functionality, ergonomics and the widest/shortest flange, but matching Sony and Canon with 1.4 or 1.2 native lenses with two cards and there would be minimal competition as I simply love the Nikon interface and colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    I guess we all have our own ideas about what constitutes character and what appeals to us in terms of bokeh. Personally I like to start with smooth transitions and unfussy specular highlights. I find many 'character' lenses to be too harsh, too repetitive in their rendering. If anything I prefer to start with Jack's 'vanilla' and if more or less character is needed then to add or subtract it in post, a much more controllable process. A few examples below.

This process gets me to where I want to be, in control, but admittedly it is ultimately more time consuming.
    I agree. Having said that. The 50S delivers an amazing file to start with (as does the 85). I have not used my 35 a lot sofar so cannot say much about it.

The kit zoom is fantastic too though I have been caught by surprise with it several times. I normally set auto-iso to max out at appr. 3200 (call me old-fashioned but the thought of ISO3200 just makes me shiver). No problem shooting with the primes but I found out that the screen (for some reason which might be user related) shows an image that is correctly lit but the eventual file is underexposed due to the ISO limitation. No problem with the 1.8 in this area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All good comments. Re ZS lenses, the 50 is on my short list, I do like the way it renders --in fact like the way ALL the ZS lenses render-- and will probably end up with it simply as my goto walkaround/street lens. (Note I say "ZS" lenses, because there were earlier plain old "S" lenses -- and my mystery lens happens to be one of them!) The bigger issue for me is choosing between the 50 and 35 -- in my world, I would absolutely prefer a fast 42mm prime over either

Keith, while I understand your preference for adding effects in post, in all of my attempts to do it I never got the results I really wanted, and why I chose some rather specific art glass for that purpose. For me it's not just resolution fall-off, vignetting, aberration swirl and bokeh, but how all of those interplay in the final character. I know all of that mostly falls to a "blind" eye to the majority of end viewers, but I know the real thing when I see it, and I like it.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Character is indeed something that can be added, but always preferable to start with a good image first. The b/w pics are the 50mm 1.8S. The couple is SOOC with the 85mm 1.8S and rather dull, imo. The other with the 105mm 1.4 FTZ.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JD,

The B&W's are lovely, especially the little girl, and of course so is the 105/1.4 capture -- stunning actually, but that lens is a relative beast. I see what you mean about the 85S -- kind of "meh." Renders about like the 50, but the added distance disconnects you a bit from the subjects. I would leave it and take the 105 all the time if I owned both -- and in my case it makes a strong argument for the 105/1.4 over the 85S.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, the 85mm 1.8 S is a great lens in terms of resolution and AF, but as you astutely noted, the extra distance does indeed factor in the overall rendering. Tighter portraits might do a wee bit better with the Z 85mm S, but the extra reach and shallower DOF of the 1.4 compresses so nicely for this purpose. You really can't go wrong with any of the Z lenses at these price points. Some have compared the 50mm 1.8S to the Otus!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed the 105/1.4 photo has a lot more "sparkle" than the 85/1.8. I only wonder for this comparison if it's the lens or the light, which was much more favourable in the 105 mm shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously comparisons between different lenses when shooting different subjects and different light are at the very best suboptimal.

https://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Obviously comparisons between different lenses when shooting different subjects and different light are at the very best suboptimal.

Obviously.
    However, these images (Summer couple/105mm @1.4 & Winter couple 85mm S @1.8) were shot under a similar cloudy overcast as the previous pic I posted, using the exact same lighting set up, so not so "different" at all. As Jack mentioned, the distance to the subjects can be an important factor, so the couple standing in front of the bridge works better because it's a tighter crop, but with more DOF and being edited for the client. Another important factor is that shooting couples at 1.4 is very tricky as they both need to be on the same plane, but shooting at 1.8 gives you more DOF, but the 105mm 1.4 still looks nicer at 1.8 SOOC, imo. My intent is to not debate which is better because that's all very subjective and personal and both these lenses are fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just wanted to update this thread... I've had the Z7 about 3 weeks now, and am settling in with it. The newest FW update was a pretty significant improvement for an already pretty exceptional camera. The cam already feels like an old friend, and I've become (surprisingly) comfortable with the EVF. I am actually quite happy now that the Z6 I originally ordered arrived bricked... If it hadn't been, I would probably be shooting in ignorant bliss, totally unaware of how satisfied I'd be with a Z7! A second Z7 body is on my short list.

Yes, I am still a gear whore.
    Jack

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post